Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone have an electric bike?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I was unsure about the 250W motor, but thats the law here, so anyway yeah I like the bike, it's not a speed demon but where it really comes into it's own is on the hills. Where I cycle theres a dedicated cycle lane beside the road which has a gradient not steep but goes on for the whole section, but the bike flattens out the hill and I can cycle as if im on a level path. I've tried it on some steep hills too and drop a few gears and pedel assist five and it'll go straight up. As an example one hill near me I was doing about 50 Km down it and I could cycle up that hill around 25 Km maybe 30 Km if I put in more effort, but I can get up the hills comfortably without killing myself. The furthest I've been out is around 26 or so Km with battery to spare. I did on one ocassion run out of battery, my own fault I set off without charging first, cycling with no pedel assist is not for the out of shape person!!

Overall I'm enjoying the bike, I actually wanted the city version but they didn't have it available so it was the fat tyre one I got, it has it's advantages too, I can go greenlaning offroad if need be too which is a bit of craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I have a conversion kit type for just on a year now. Used mybike.ie to simply strap on the battery etc to my old bike to keep down costs. Cost me circa 500 quid. Here's what I found over the year

Range

The YOSE 36 Volt supposedly gives a 50 K range. I am uber conscious of going beyond range since without battery power, for me at my age, its like cycling thru treacle. Gone about 40 K max with no real hills or wind since I live city centre. Have my eye on Howth Head return from city centre this springtime but doubt it would make it (mulling over a new greater capacity battery or strapping on a double 36 V pack). As a result I tend to stay within the canals which is fine since I kinda enjoy rat running in traffic and mooching round derelict Dublin. The port is a particular favourite!

Theft

Have to be very careful since already had one battery ripped off by a skanker at Connolly Station. My fault since I had doubts about but still took a chance. Now I am very careful. Must be tricky for commuters without a safe site.

GEARS

I don't bother and have stuck with a mid range gear on the pedal bike system. The battery power makes gears redundant in my view give particular set up and needs

OFF ROAD

The battery power is super for going off the tarmac such as in the Phoenix Park or Royal Canal. This would be impossible on a standard pedal bike for me. Really enjoyable. But obviously reduces overall range as the battery is drained more quickly.

SPEED

i have hit over 30 K at times but this more than enough since my pedal bike frame (and brakes) are not really safe above that speed.

GRADIENTS

The battery cannot not really deal with gradients for any great length or high incline level. So no Knockmaroon Hill for me ( I tried).

RECHARGING

Can take several hours so I usually recharge in the late evening so its ready to rock and roll next morning. Mulling over how I could access a power point at maximum range (any pub ideas?) where I could have a long lunch while recharging before returning home.

SUMMARY

For those like me with mobility problems the e bike has been a total life saver. Even every day errands such as shopping are now a doddle whereas previously they were a chore. More broadly, it has allowed me to explore the city and the great new cycle routes which are being rolled out. Now if only Irish Rail would stop treating cyclists like lepers I could go on longer journeys around the country.

Ends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Got my first e-bike today - a Fiido x 350W. Any recommendations for servicing in Dublin when the time comes?

try aloha on dorset street

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Just so you know they are not legal to use on Irish roads. Nothing has happened yet but it is a matter of time before there is an accident and the legal ramifications come out. Effectively you are an uninsured driver on them and if you don't have a license to drive a motorbike you are also unlicensed.

Not many people care but it is worth noting. There are a huge amount of illegal e-bikes on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wouldn't worry about the legalities, there are so many on the roads now that the Garda aren't going to go near you. It's like illegal parking, so endemic that it's gone too far to do anything about it.

Agree. There'll be a helluva lot more when petrol hits 2 euro a litre later this year. Congestion charge next for entry to within the two canal zone. I use go cars these days for the odd time I need a car. But I'm very lucky that I don't live in the sticks. I don't envy those commuting from nowheresville. Must be hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

All is fine until there is an accident. It is not that they will stop you on the street it is if you get into an accident whether your fault or not you are instantly in the wrong for using MPV without insurance. Matter of time before there is a case. You may then suddenly see them acting on the sight of them on the streets.

I think most people are willing to take that risk though

Is there anywhere in Dublin city centre where it's safe to lock an electric bike? I have a brand new one and might go to town tomorrow. I'm thinking it's idiocy to lock it anywhere, even in Drury St car park with two kryptonite u locks? Better to just leave it at home?

I would nt risk it having been stung a few months ago. The lock up for bikes (box type) in the train stations might be a solution though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,200 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've left mine in a couple of spots for an hour or two, and taken the battery with me - but I'd be very, very choosy where I'd leave it, and err on the side of not bringing it if it's going to be left for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I use Drury St. I've used it for many years with a €1,500 carbon bike with just one large chain lock. I only use it rarely these days but when I run errands into town I use the same lock and have no concerns with my €3,000 ebike. Lock it properly and they'll ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Bought my e-bike a couple months ago. Cannondale Canvas Neo. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

Any comments on this type of bike, we have a jeep so would like something to run to shops, work etc, especially now the price of fuel is rising, don't have too much money to spend, a fella up the road from us bought one of these from this site and he seems happy enough with it. Just looking for some proper advice if it would be a good enough buy or to avoid as I really don't have a clue.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/ELEGLIDE-M1-Electric-Bike-7-5Ah-250W-Motor-Mountant-Bicycle-Dark-Blue-461060.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can get an e-bike in decathlon for not an awful lot more, and would probably be easier to get support/servicing on it.

At 2 euro per litre and rising...there'll be a run on e bikes this Springtime

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, the closest one I can see in Decathlon is for €850, I live in the country and I think the one I linked above seems more robust that the decathlon one, just want to know if the spec on it is ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it might look robust because it's chunky, but the parts could be cheap and unreliable. it's unlikely you would need suspension forks. also, if you're using it to commute and go to the shops, you would want mudguards and a carrier probably, and that bike may not be easy to install them on. you'd need to factor those into the price, if you wanted them; but they're already included on the decathlon one.

how far is your commute to work/shops?

probably between 12km round trip to get all done, the route to work would have a steep enough hill to tackle as well, that's good advice about the carrier, mudguard etc. Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Like I said, I haven't a clue

if your neighbour has already taken delivery, it's worth checking if it has mounting points for a carrier etc.; the product shots on the site are not consistent - for example, in the photo of the full bike taken from the left, there seems to no mounting point for a carrier on the seatstay just behind the seatpost. but it's there in a closeup shot of that area.

you'd want a lock too, pannier bags probably if doing shopping, etc. a helmet if you wanted to wear one.

Yeah I must have a closer look at his to see if it has those mounting points and Ill definitely be wearing a helmet, I've come off a horse too many times to know the importance of one, thanks for all your advice 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Guente

Hi, I know you posted this a couple of years ago re the Kuma F1. I'm looking into getting one and I'd be interested to know how you've found it. Has it caused any issues in terms of reliability etc. thanks

Advertisement