Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

thats exactly what the league is about , if you end up showing your full hand in febuary then you are in trouble ,

this game was pretty much won and lost in the 15 minute spell in the first half where wexford outscored us 1-4 to 0-0 in this period we hit somthing like 7 wides and rory o'connor scored 1-3 from play , i taught the biggest man at fault was dirmuid ryan , his shooting was miles off and his balls into the forward line were poor had we even scored 2 or 3 points in this passage of the game it would have stoped the rott and probably sent us on our way , we were only 2 points down at half time dispite all this

huge positives from the likes of meehan rodgers and crotty , paddy donnellan was good also , huge qustion marks hang over the likes of browne , jason mccarthy david fitz , hopfully it was only an off day for ryan hes probably been one of our better opperators this season

really lookig forward to see how this team shapes up with kelly duggan aidan mccarthy o'donnell ect .. teaming up with rodgers meehan and crotty

not a stocks and shares buff , i dont stay up all night watching Bloomberg , but the saying short term pain for long term gains spring to mind to this league campaign ,

we wont be realing on 18 and 19 year olds to get us out of munster if you have a fit peter duggan, david reidy , tony kelly , aidan mccarthy , ian galvin , shane o'donnell aarron shannagher david mcinerney, all of which did not play today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Anybody know the status with the players above ?

especially SOD, Duggan and A.McCarthy where there had been question marks over whether they’d be back at all this season.

as for Duggan, I think it’s not realistic to expect much from him this year given his long absence, his ages and his injuries

Duggan and O'Donnell are not far away , the hope is to be ready for the limerick and galway games , kelly i recon could feature in some shape or form in Offaly was doing individual work outs before the wexford game yesterday , i am not sure on McCarthy , if rumours are to be believed he could be finished for the year not sure but as far as i know he fractured ahis leg before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

THe Irish Examiner have an article today folks:

Kelly, Duggan and O'Donnell closing in on Clare return (irishexaminer.com)

I think we will see Duggan in the next round versus Limerick. It seems SOD is taking his time, which is understandable. I think Aidan Mc was always touch and go for the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Strong representation from Clare on the UL squad for tomorrow's Sigerson Final. Emmet McMahon, Darragh Walsh, Ciaran Downes and Oisin O Looney are regular starters for the Limerick side. They will line up with the likes of David Clifford and Sean Powter against NUIG.

I'm not the biggest fan of the third level competition but TG4 have live coverage so I will tune in to see how the Clare boys fare out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Mark McInerney came off the bench for NUIG in semi final.

Is Oisin O'Looney on the Clare panel?

Don't think so, forgot about McInerney. Galway side is very strong and are warm favourites I'd imagine.

I would have UL as favourites. Thought NUIG make hard work against MTUK who were reliant on the 3 Kerry players. UL have a better all round team. Emmett McMahon has very impressive for them. The have another kerry lad Donal O'Sullivan beside Clifford who is very good.

Fair play to NUIG. Very impressive second half.

• Advertisement

yep i felt watching a few of UL's games that they were over reliant on Clifford he was well looked after last night , from a clare point of view , i taught oisin looney had a really good campaign he really should be closer to the panel then he is , emmet mcmahon also very good through out the competition and should be starting more regular , the bigger games and playing with experienced heads like poweter and clifford will stand to the likes of ciaran downes and daniel walsh going forward

congrats to mark mcinerney on his winners medal , he didnt feature last night but in the company of fionn mcdonagh and especially cathal hennigan its a tough team to make

speaking of tough teams to make , hennigans Roscommon is up next for clare on sunday , could be a hard watch for us ,Roscommon are flying two big wins over Meath and cork has them flying , throw in the fact the st faithleachs ( conor and diarmuid murtaigh ) and the pearses lads ( niall , conor and ronan daly , hubert darcy and shane carty ) after their club championship escapades almost an embarrassment of riches to be bring in to a team in fine form

Roscommon are a division 1 team all day in my opinion cant see us getting anything in the hyde but i still expect a good effort from our lads , scoring difference will be crucial later in the league

Ya Roscommon are one of three teams along with Meath and Kildare that in the recent past have been a cut above in div. 2 but can't survive in div.1 basically they are top 8 or 9 teams but can't live with the top 6. Mayo and Donegal slipped down to div. 2 in recent years but they are real div 1 teams. Galway are div 2 this year but will go up and stay up but the Roscommons, Kildares, Meaths can't cut it in div 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

How do you guys think the hurling team for the first round of the championship will line out? Im not sure at all. I'd like to see more of Crotty. It looks to me as if he can handle senior and the raised physical stakes. Same as Meehan. We ll need them both even though they are very young.

Full back line is ok if they stop the silly frees. Halfbacks are weak down the middle.. sane as midfield. Half forwards are ok ..full forward line good. We are not quiet at the races physically yet...Definately leave Conlon full. But I'd like yo see an alternative to Jason McCarthy...but not Jack Brown. No offense to him but he's too small and slow for the centre

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Clare team for Sundays trip to Dr Hyde Park. Stephen Ryan; Manus Doherty, Cillian Brennan, Cillian Rouine; Cian O’Dea, Eoghan Collins, Alan Sweeney; Cathal O’Connor, Darren O’Neill; Jamie Malone, Eoin Cleary, Pearse Lillis; Aaron Griffin, Keelan Sexton, David Tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Any one know the severity of Mark Rogers injury?

no idea , but any knee injury spells a long term on the sideline

the rodgers injury has thrown things under the bus heres how i was hoping it would work out , at the back i would like to see jack replace flanagan at 4 , bring in david mc at 7 ,conlon back to 6 , kelly and reidy midfield duggan malone alongside ian galvin , rodgers o'donnell and shanagher full forward line , its probably not going to happen but it would make for a fairly competitive side

ciaran russell a big loss at half back , he got married yesterday , good bench also with the UL lads to come on Downes , Mcmahon and daniel walsh its going to be tough up there to get anything the way they are motoring at the moment

Good result for the footballers away to roscommon , against a storm in the first half probably played their best football in the first 20 minutes leading 0-4 to 0-2 , roscommon kicked on again with some big scores form donie smith and conor cox , and with the game at 0-6 to 0-5 at half time ad a strong wind at our backs we really should have kicked on

roscommon started the brighter and went 3 up in the first ten minutes if the 2nd half , it stayed that way until about 5 minutes to go when keelan kicked a 45 , and two long range scores from tubridy and cleary tied it up

like the cork game though this is a game we could have won but for some poor shooting, had a point blank goal chance saved late on as well but unbeaten still in the league after 3 games is still a good place to be

clare scorers

eoin cleary  0-2

podge  0-2

keelan sexton  0-1

aaron griffin 0-1

david tubridy 0-1 

jamie malone 0-1 

alan sweeney 0-1

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭caddy16

Like the Cork game sounds like we could have won but would have definitely taken a point beforehand. Looking at the table another point should see us safe.

• Advertisement

Teams are so conditioned to the possession game now that playing against the wind seems to suit as they can revert to type. Playing with the wind causes problems as a kicking game is alien to most teams now. Roscommon and Clare both played their best football into the teeth of a storm. Again this Clare team showed serious back bone to kick the last two scores in injury time to take a point in the Hyde. It could easily have been two points but to go away from home against a team that had beaten Cork and Meath in the first two rounds and get a draw is a solid day's work. This leauge is a minefield and the outcome of Derry at home next week will tell us whether we are looking up or looking down. Collins's Clare are some value and will give the maximum of what they have, what more can be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Be interesting to see how Clare fare against Derry, Galway whom are the two hot favourites for promotion now.

The weather conditions like today a great leveler, seen a video of the goalposts swaying in the strong wind in Hyde Park but by all accounts the pitch/playing surface held up well.

yeah id say we will do enough to be safe enough from relegation before the trip to newry , similar to the cork game in terms of coming back late on , we had chances before that but didnt take them , roscommon a much better team then cork but will be kicking themselves they didnt put up a bigger score in the first half

watched a few of derrys games this year , they play the exact same as fermanagh during gallaghers time , they have some excellent individual players . conor glass in midfield , brendan rodgers chrissy mckaigue are great ball carriers at the back , shane McGuigan and beny herron in the forwards are fairly deaccent especially mcguigan

most of them are slaughtneil players and full of experience , conor glass returned from the AFL two years ago where he played for hawthorn , he has great hands in fairness , derry are very dangerous on the break bit like ourselves but its hard to fully know are they that much better then us , they beat down and offaly before today , and cork made 7 changes from the game against clare and looked a bit disjointed at times today , i think it will be every bit as close as today in the hyde hopefully home advantage will get us over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Looks like Mark Rodgers has done his cruciate, still awaiting scan results but it looks like he will be out for the season. Absolute disaster for Clare, Lohan has been cursed with the unavailability of key players during his tenure.

On the plus side, Tony Kelly played a full training match for Clare last weekend, while Peter Duggan took part in some of the match. SOD hasn't returned yet it seems. Davy Mc and Ian Galvin also carrying injuries. Davy Mc I've noticed has been carrying alot of injuries in recent years, and is probably affecting his ability to reach top form for Clare. It been a while since we have seen him at his best.

It's been a fairly bad start to the year for Clare, hopefully we get our first win registered this weekend versus Offaly.

Kelly returns to action during Clare training match - Clare Echo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah that's bad news indeed . Mark Rodgers was really coming into his own over the past few months. That's a big set back but it means Meehan and Crotty's development will have to be fast tracked.

Davy McInerney is built like his dad,the great Jim. Unfortunately Jim was very injury prone over the later half of his career. Genetics at play..2 very athletic and muscular men who peaked early physically . Ever since David messed up his back in the gym he hasn't been 100%

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Is a cruciate injury always caused by a single incident or can it be building up ?

I was just thinking that Rodgers was playing a lot of hurling between the club run, Fitzgibbon and starting every game for Clare.

I see Davy Fitz got a red card on his return to Ennis with the Cork camogie team, anyone know what happened? It’s hard to keep him out of the headlines

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wasn’t Davy that brought it on. Was at it.

Conor Dolan (who wasn’t on Clare’s sideline for the 1st half) came well inside Cork’s side of the coaches’ area mid 2nd half and started mouthing at a decision and Davy told him to F off back to his area. Words then and literal punches thrown.

Not nice to see especially at Camogie where it’s mostly families there with Children. Was very uncomfortable.

At a guess, I’m assuming Davy and Conor Dolan have history and Dolan definitely said something to set him off. Would really hope that both apologised profusely to their respective teams and opposition post-match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Not a medical expert by any stretch so don't take any stock in what I'm about to say but my understanding is that there's 3 parts of a knee, the bones, ligaments and muscles, the ligaments primary function is to keep everything where it should, if the bones go wrong (e.g. land wrong, twist) then the ligaments can go, also if muscles are too strong for the ligaments they can pull them, so in essence it can be either. There is a school of thought that players building up muscles without building up the ligaments can make players more at risk, so you might see more for players coming through to senior for the first time or players at the start of a season or pre-season.

• Advertisement

Any word when league club games will be played?

Advertisement