Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Scientific newsflash. Condoms have a 100% failure rate. Dr. Nicki Minaj has just posted about her cousin's friends swollen balls again. Apparently he's not impotent anymore and just got some young wan up the pole, despite wearing a condom. No point using them anymore so!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

But Ireland has consistently had the highest case load in the world- oddly these “lifesavers” have done fcuk all really bar “reassure” a bunch of paranoid hypochondriacs. I’ve no problem with paranoid hypochondriacs continuing to wear them if it makes them feel better but the time for mandating this rubbish onto normal people is well passed. I’d suggest to these people they stay home if they are they that “frightened”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Yes in all situations.

Post edited by AyeGer on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

It really does worry me how many people on this thread seem to think that there's still some sort of deadly virus out there as though it was still early 2020.

Equally worrying are those who are now apparently afraid of previously common illnesses like a winter cold.

As I've said before, if nothing else it demonstrates the massive psychological damage that's been caused by 2 years of constant coverage and analysis in this country.

If only that was as easy to remove as the masks next week.

Question for you, If your work colleague had a cold/flu, would ya have a preference between any of the following scenarios

1) They come to you to tell you something and start coughing into your face

2) They come to tell you something, but turn away from you and cough into their elbow or a tissue

3) They don't come near you when they are coughing

I'm just trying to find out whether you understand the concept of a respiratory infection being infectious. If the person does (1) and you request them to do (2), does that make ya a hypochondriac?

• Advertisement

No

Oh sure let them at it- so long as any mandates are gone etc I really couldn’t give a hoot if these nutters want to wear ten useless face “masks” 24/7. Come Monday it’s nothing to do with me thankfully

Well ya see, covid is no longer something to worry about for most people - especially those who are vaccinated and boosted. But that is a combination of better understanding and treatment, and of the vaccines. There are still people who are vulnerable to it. I'm not vulnerable to it. If I am on a train and there are people there wearing their masks, I will wear mine. If I'm sitting beside some gimp who won't wear theirs, I won't wear mine (I picked up a symptomless infection after being vaccinated and boosted). I can still carry it but am pretty much fully protected for the next few months. If you sit down beside me with no mask, I'm not going to bother my bollix keeping mine on to protect you. If you sit down beside me with one on, I'll keep mine on because you obviously have some concern about catching it (maybe you have a vulnerable person at home etc). So out of manners, I'll wear mine.

You might have heard of the concept of "having good manners" before, or you might not have.

No

But condoms actually work in almost all cases. Unlike the hocus pocus “feel good” effect of face “masks”. Using this analogy to support face masks doesn’t resonate with me as we’ve seen time and again how useless they are.

But Dr. Minaj tweeted it. So I'm gonna believe it. Doesn't matter what you say. Doesn't matter what used to be accept as fact. It's what I believe. 'tis the new "science"!

Suppose that you had to spend time in a room with someone who had just tested positive. Emergency and you are locked in there for the next hour. They have a mask with them. Would you have any preference for them wearing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralMudkip

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

Plenty of other countries have (/had) mask mandates on the same level as Ireland. I don't see how our higher cases per capita have anything to do with how well masks work? They're two different statistics. Could you link any of the peer reviewed studies which claims that masks have "an extremely marginal benefit"? From what I can see almost all papers are saying that they have quite the impact.

One I've found; "Nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission." DOI: 10.1073/pnas.2014564118

I'm sure most reasonable people will tolerate you not wearing a mask, but to claim that they don't work is just plain stupid.

• Advertisement

No

So essentially you've no rational basis or consistent approach to it, and certainly no medical basis - you'll just do what everyone else around you at the time is doing to fit in.

It has nothing to do with manners. That's just a massive stretch. It's a fear of standing out basically.

It's a very common Irish trait I'll grant you, but not really one to be celebrated.

Try reading it again. I'll wear my mask to protect you if you can be arsed to help yourself.

I am happy to do my bit to help others but if you're gonna be a perennial scrounger who coasts along off the back of others, with no consideration for anyone else, then I won't bother my arse putting myself out for you.

Surely ya can understand that if you are convinced along the lines of the oul' chocolate teapot geniii that masks do no good then you're not going to have any problem with that.

I'd say that you are wasting your time giving DOI names. The people you are arguring with probably think that a "published paper" means the "metro" you get free in the morning

(If that is still a thing!)

No

So it's a "look at me and how considerate I am" virtue-signalling kind of thing?

Fair enough. Each to their own. I would suggest keeping your "scrounger" thoughts to yourself though as although a bizarre and out of place analogy, it probably would conflict with the idea of being "better" than such people that seems so important.

It's called "having good manners" genius. If someone is concerned enough to wear their mask, I'll wear mine around them. They might be wearing it because they have a vulnerable person at home. If they are making an effort for a reason, then I'll respect that.

Scroungers is a perfect analogy. You don't want to contribute by wearing your own mask, but seem to want others to wear theirs to protect you. Analogous to a person who doesn't want to work but wants others to work to pay taxes so that they can benefit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,488 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If that happens I will be in a minority

Does that bother you? It certainly does not bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

No

Would you mind losing weight or not drinking alcohol and cutting out your processed meat intake to protect me from losing out on valuable healthcare resources when you're inevitably hospitalized with lifestyle illnesses? Is it okay for me to constantly tell people people who are fat, who drink, smoke and eat meat to stop? I'd view it as a similar thing; it would be nice but in reality it's not practical and is ignorant on the part of the person asking.

No

That pretty much sums up the pro mask cult , yes.

What are you on about? I tell you what, if you sit down beside me on a train and you're fat, I'll be fat as well. If you sit down beside me on a train and you are skinny, I'll be skinny as well. Just so ya won't catch fat off me.

That makes about as much sense as your post did in response to mine.

No

Not at all. I don't expect anyone to wear a mask for me, never have, and don't see any value in them beyond as a visible reminder of the "crisis" and placebo for some.

Your analogy to welfare "scroungers" is completely misplaced as I said

• Advertisement

They come to you to tell you something and start coughing into your face

Does this kind of thing happen to you often? Because it has never happened to me. 99.99% of humans have some form of basic social etiquette. What kind of an ape colony do you live in?

I actually used to work with an ignorant prick who would do that. I'd say he was borderline autistic. The type of fella who would make himself come into the office even if dying, and then would make sure to go around talking to everyone and (it seemed like) make himself cough and splutter more than necessary so that people could see he was coming into the office and working hard even when he was ill!

He was an ignorant dickhead, but yes, he actually used to do that!

If you are telling me that you have only ever met well mannered people who cover their coughs properly then I'd say you're in a 0.01% isolated bubble who hasn't met very many people, or else spoofing. Likely the latter

Anyway, if you're a believer in not wearing masks (I don't know whether you are or not) then why would you want the fella to make the effort to cover his cough? A mask is covering your cough. Why is he an ape, yet a person who won't wear a mask a hero?

My analogy to scrounger is perfectly valid, as I said.

If ya don't want to contribute your bit but are happy to benefit of the backs of others who make an effort, then ya can't get a more accurate word than "scrounger"! If that's who ya wanna be, then by all means embrace it. It's a valid choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So you don't see the the value or the need . That's fine .

But unfortunately some others do see the value and some others do need to wear them,whether it upsets you or not.

Its not your business really . Don't wear one . Do wear one . But please move on..and let others do as they see fit without your judgement .

No

What benefit? What are you still so concerned about? Covid is now at the endemic minimal risk stage for almost everyone who get it - and even NPHET have advised masks should no longer be mandatory.

Your argument is based on a notion of feeling better for doing the right thing with a lot of misdirected anger towards anyone who doesn't recognise your consideration or share your attitude. I'm not quite sure why you're so upset by this.

If you feel better by wearing your mask and telling yourself that you're doing your bit and scowling at anyone who isn't as "considerate" as you are then by all means work away, but you are the one with the issue I'd suggest, not them.

It's precisely this attitude that has emerged over the last 2 years that we could very well do without though.

No

In fairness, I'm not the one getting upset or angry at randomers for not agreeing with or validating my "civic responsibility" - that would be the good Mr Trump I suggest.

On one hand I don't care what anyone chooses to do, but on the other though I am concerned by attitudes and unwarranted concerns that manifest themselves in attitudes like I've referenced, because they will indirectly still affect me when I meet them.

Such people have been living in "concern" for so long now that it seems they are really going to struggle with returning to a properly normal lifestyle.

Yeah...........I see that we are dealing with a certain type here. I'll try one more time (although I've already tried a good few times above)

If you are wearing a mask, I will assume you are doing that for a reason such as either being vulnerable yourself, or having a vulnerable person at home. Out of manners (again I've tried, seemingly unsuccessfully to introduce you to the idea of "having good manners") I will wear a mask then.

If you're not wearing a mask, and having no consideration of others, then I won't give enough of a bollix around you to wear mine. Why would ya think I'd necessarily give a **** if you catch it? You're not the centre of the universe. I won't give a ****. If you can't be arsed to wear a mask and bring it home to someone vulnerable in your own circle, then that is on you dude.

No

I guess it all depends on how afraid one is of covid in the first place and how threatened they feel by being out and about in normal society.

By all means, continue to show your "manners" as you see fit, but part of having good manners is recognising and accepting that not everyone will or needs to share your thoughts on the subject - and that doesn't make them a "scrounger" or you "better" than them either.

Just as you want to feel free to wear your mask without insult or comment, so too are the rest of us free not to and to expect the same consideration.

Dude. Can you not read. I have no fear of covid. I'm vaccinated and boosted and already had symptomless infection.

But I will have the manners and enough respect for others to recognise that if someone sits down beside me and chooses to still wear a mask, that they will probably be doing it for a reason and I'll happily wear mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So you don't understand that there are vulnerable people who are at risk still if they get it ?

My son is vaxxed three times now . He still contracted Omicron. I am bloody glad he didn't get Delta . We hope he will be able to fight off any further infections . His treatment was delayed for a month while he was recovering and he still has to get a fourth vax , as do myself my husband and another son .

Want to ditch masks believe me , but I have to wear them in some situations in case I bring an infection home . I also have to wear them all day at work .

I understand you don't have to wear them and you don't like them ,neither do I . But it's not fair to berate people for their continuing concern, or joke about it .

It is a genuine continuing issue for a good many people. Immunocompromised people cannot control this and an infectious virus that is still at quite high levels in the community is frightening if you are in that situation .

Yes , Omicron is less serious thankfully , and vaccinations have most certainly reduced serious disease but it does require ones body to be able to mount some sort of defence , which these people cannot.

As I said before we really do not care what others do or say now . We will be avoiding crowds and wearing fully protective masks incrowded places, including shops and public transport . We will be looking out for son and family , and that is all. No fear , no hiding , just what we consider sensible precautions for our own particular circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement