Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

fewer modules would lead to much, much longer charging times. I mentioned this on the ID3 thread. There was maths involved and wholly unacceptable charge times would have been encountered unless the battery pack was completely redesigned for a smaller capacity.
    If they get enough people to pay for the 100kw instead of 50kw charging it covers most of their loss anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Watched the Autogefühl review on this and I really like it. As I said before the front end is savage. If a decent spec ID.3 is around €40k I reckon the Born, with the sport seats, bigger infotainment, surround cameras etc will probably be pushing €45k.

Then add on the performance package to get the boost mode 220hp and possible alcantara seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Review by autogeful

Not sure how I feel about the boost mode. 30 minutes is probably enough for 99% of my driving and to be fair the standard 204hp electric is nice power so may not be a need for it if it's optional. Seems like the German spec is fairly bare, I thought 230hp would be standard. Optional sport seats, DCC etc. Wonder what spec will be here. Now that a GTI is around €52,000 it's out of my budget so eyes on the Born for now.

Colour is a tough one, I like the gray but it's becoming very common on the Golf and ID.3 but it accents the copper well. Would like the surround camera too. I think it will be easily €45k though.

It's a shame they didn't put the reversing camera in the boot latch like VW. Found the reg plate location wasn't great on the Leon compared to the Golf but the surround camera might help.

Quick one from the man himself @MarkN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Really looking forward to this. I wonder will the early supply be limited in term of customer spec, option etc. Any VW dealer I spoke to re: ID3 said that, other than which trim you choose, colour is just about the only choice you'd have for the foreseeable future.

Product Guide, including prices now out.

Curious to see what prices will be for 222/231, there's no way they will stay down.

Watched a few more 'reviews' of this recently, a few journalists were sent to Barcelona in October and basically just spouted the same bullet points. Also silly that none of the cars are the eboost model so there wasn't a ton of feedback. Considering the Born has factory sport suspension and review models had DCC I'm surprised none of them were too impressed by it.

Autogefuhl are the only ones I've seen with the eboost model so far which I personally wouldn't bother paying extra for. You do get the massage alcantara seats and HUD included in the price but the 30 minute gimmick for the boost isn't worth it.

I wonder what the chances are of customers actually getting one of these cars on the driveway by year end...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

I'm a bit tempted, so on a whim I stopped off at McCoys Lucan to get so info:

They're not sure of supply levels, may be as low as 10 this year.

Production is 5 id3s for 1 Cupra

No straight cash deals, trade insurance only (as they are so low in stock, different dealers may be different)

Test car should be available March

Lots of expressions of interest, no orders yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,102 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The 150BHP 48KW is roughly the same price I paid for my ID3 First last year. VW sweetened th deal with €600 free charge credit and 3 months of my payments back.

I'll go have a look in the local garage and see what they'd offer against the Born 204.

Just to follow up, dealer got back to me with a trade in value for my car...

It's probably on a par to what a trade in should be, but I know I could easily sell it privately for a lot more - It's a BMW i3, so equally in demand.

But since they'll only accept trade ins, I'll end up losing thousands on any deal. While they get themselves stock...

No straight cash deals, as in cash cash or no trade in but getting finance? I'd be looking to get it on PCP without a trade...

Seemed to be- has to have a trade in, so straight in deals. Not sure about if you're signing up with them. I had been saying I'd be possibly buying outright.

But a lot of sales focus was on my car, assessed it for trade in right away, just needed a few minutes if I could spare etc

Yikes, 5 ID3s for 1 Cupra... doesn't bode well given how in short supply the new ID3s appear to be.

Focused on your trade in coz they'd probably make a killing selling it on given how high used car prices are these days. Mad to think you could walk in there with a cheque for the full amount and they wouldn't sell you one.

McCoy's are probably the biggest Cupra dealer. They'll have plenty of crappy crossover sales to keep them happy, don't see the point on restricting the Born. Cupra was never a big seller here and there's not a huge interest in the Born, people are still fond of their VW badge so don't see them selling big numbers.

If they're only getting 10 all year, I can understand trying to maximise profit and if they can get a trade in cheap to double their profits - well it's their call.

But I'm finding it hard to justify plus €40k on a hatchback - especially if my own car is being undervalued

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭joe1303l

My local dealer confirmed they will have one in the showroom for viewing in March and they should be able to place orders in April. August for first cars to customers but dealer allocations unknown.

Post edited by joe1303l on

August! Jaysus 🤬

I'm going to get one for 2024, so will proabaly have to place my order this time next year. Any guesses on the real world range of the eBoost models in winter? 58kW is 420km, and the 77kW is 548km WLTP. I regularly have to do a 250km trip and have no inclination to stop and charge en route.

I don't think the RRP incl grants in the product guide is right either. There should be no VRT rebate availabile on the 77kW as the RRP is more than 50k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Any guesses on the real world range of the eBoost models in winter? 58kW is 420km, and the 77kW is 548km WLTP. I regularly have to do a 250km trip and have no inclination to stop and charge en route.

I cant imagine it would be any better than the ID.3, which is the same platform and battery. In winter, on the motorway, the ID.3 will just about do the 250km. Not alot to spare. The 77kWh would be fine.

So, on N Roads only the 58kW should be able to do the 250km too no problem I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭KCross

For sure.... high speed is the high consumer so you will be doing 120km/h on M roads but probably averaging <100km/h on N roads so 250km will be no problem at all.

Unless your N road driving is lots of shorter journeys then you have the added complication of having to heat the cabin multiple times which draws additional power, but in general you will have no problem getting 250km+ on N roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I seem to get less range than most from my ID.3 but in the winter I would get 240/250km at best. No motorways, average speed in mid to high 70s and in normal commuting traffic. But this is when temps are around freezing or just above.

So it really will depend from person to person but I wouldn't go on a 250km trip knowing 100% I'll make it in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Fabulous looking car. Really tempted by this one.

Only nagging doubt is that a lot of the reviews say that the infotainment system is very poor. Is this the same system as in the ID.3, I wonder?

The ID.3 and Golf were heavily criticised for being slow and buggy at launch but seeing newer videos it's clearly more responsive. Reviewers like to pretend it's still crap by moving around the map in the navigation quickly which nobody would actually do, everyone will use Android Auto or Carplay anyway so it's a non issue.

A lot of reviewers also don't know you can double tap temperature controls to turn on heated seats or add shortcuts to the drop down menu on the screen for quick access so forget what they have to say. In the real world, how often are people really messing around with infotainment outside of radio and climate control? Worth asking in the ID.3 thread how people find general infotainment use. Aside from setting tyre pressure every 2-3 months, I don't use the infotainment in my Golf. Android Auto does all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Order books now open for the Born. Expected in Q3 in VERY limited numbers and that will be it till 2023. Anyone interested might be best off following up now.

I've been in touch with a dealer and he said that it'd be April or May before he has a demo.

I don't want to put down a €500 deposit on am order and then lose that because I don't like the feel of the Born.

McCoy's told me someone has already placed an order when they called me 2 weeks ago. If it wasn't for the trade-in requirement I'd have my name down for one, who knows when the next ones would arrive.

• Advertisement

Does the online builder account for the grant?

I put together a build that I'd be interested in and it's coming in around €43K. I'm not sure if that's before the grant is deducted though and I couldn't see any mention of it on the Born builder.

Advertisement