Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis Hybrid - charge battery using Night rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Battery lowering down the charge limit is normal. BMS does it when SOC gets close to 100%, some cells have reached voltage threshhold or cells needs balancing. BMS should reset these values as the battery starts dicharging. If not then select your battery again on inverter and save settings this will reset charge/discharge limit. How much to allow battery to discharge depends on DOD but getting to the bottom of it can impact longevity of the battery. When I was using pylons with DOD of 90% I could discharge it to 10% but I was not going below 20% and this is what general recommendation to add some extra head room. So I would change Overdischg SOC to 20%, ForceCharge SOC to 15% and ForceChg Limit to 50A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Thanks. I made those changes. I can see now in solis cloud/app that its Battery Charging Current Limit 50A and Battery Discharge Current Limit 40A

I will report back tomorrow if it makes a difference when the sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,395 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This made me look at my own settings.

Is the max Battery charging limit 50A, or is it 75A with 3 *2.4kW batteries?

I noticed on the app my BMS battery charging limit is at 45A. The discharge limit is 75A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭irishchris

With 3 pylontech 2.4 the charge and discharge will be 75A

Thanks.

Must amend that ASAP, especially with the solar picking up nicely the last few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I always thought ForceCharge means the inverter will initiate a forced charge at this SOC % but no, a force charge of 15% means it will top up the battery by 15% when it believes the SOC % or voltage is too low.

So leaving it at 10% is probably fine.

This really depends on inverter, with 5G inverter that is the case as they can charge/discharge at 100Amps but with 4G the max according to the manual is 62.5Amp

I do not think this is true. According to Solis 'This percentage is the point at which the battery will be forced to start accepting a charge'. So ForceCharge is the bottom point. Once it reaches this, it will force charge to bring it to Discharge SOC and this is at least how my inverter has behaved.

Source: https://usservice.solisinverters.com/support/solutions/articles/36000245187-7-of-20-inverter-menu-overview-and-selecting-the-grid-standard

Do you know how to change it? I thought I could - but from what i can see - the values seem to change automatically. This morning for example both charge and dicharge limits are at 50 (they were 50 & 40 last night)

Heres hoping i have at 3 KW sunburst today to see something

Probably the way it is meant to work but sometimes the SOC is ignored (wrong) and it does a force charge when the battery is not charged for a while.

They even say that in the manual.

So yes if the battery is charged is daily the SOC will be pretty accurate but if not (only charging from PV and not from night rate) then Force charge kicks in before SOC reaches the force charge value.

Sorry should have said alright. On 6kw 5g inverter myself and was used to 100A when had 4 pylontechs but yes with 4g will be capped at inverter max charge/discharge of 62.5A.

The pylontechs themselves can do a charge/discharge of 25A per 2.4kwh unit if your inverter allows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Would the temp. of the battery have any bearing on charge rates?

I imagine a lot, like mine, are stored in the attic so will be cool enough this time of year and like the EV the charge can vary according to the temp.

Agreed. We've seen plenty of times Solis having a mind of its own depending on firmware version. Both HMI an DSP versions do matter how the inverter behaves.

25A is the recommended charge rate for 2.4kWh pylons although manual says that it can do 50A but that may impact longevity since it would be charging/discharging at 1C

Yes, temperature does matter. If cells are getting cold/hot the BMS will cap or stop charge/discharge to protect them. According to manual working temperature is: 'Charging 0~50 ; discharging -10~50' So you need to get close to these values to see BMS taking action. The problem is you cannot see the internal temperature anywhere. The only way is through RS232/RS485 ports.

Thanks @reklamos !

I can see 2.5Kw pumping in at the moment! Not sure if it was deifnitely those changes or it was related to me being very close to 100% full.

AT this stage - im not charging the battery fully on night rate any more - so I dont need to push it below 20% anyways. Hopefully here on out I start to reduce night rate for battery and start moving the night loads back to day time

Yep 25a is the recommended charging for the pylons but per unit up to a max of 100a - 25amps per battery X 4

I tried to change it but it doesn't save.

As another poster said, it may be temperature related. Mine are in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Here are the list of steps I received from Solis support which hopefully help others. Default PIN to enter advanced settings is 0010

First step is to make sure you Set Storage mode to self-use mode 

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use->ON 

Enable charge from grid function

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use-> Charge from grid->Allow

Set time charging to ON

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use-> Time of Use->RUN

Select a charging time to set force charging the battery for the period selected

Advanced Setting->Storage Energy Set->Storage Mode Select->Self Use-> Time of Use->Charging time

Update. Today of course the sun was belting out ofthe sky - and i hit 2.5Kw filling the battery a few times. So the BMS had 50A for Battery Charging Current Limit. But later - when the battery got closer to 98/99% full it was reduced to 20A.

So i might put my settings back again to maximize the capacity and see what it does.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That would be normal, the battery tells the inverter what it can charge at. That's why it's changing

As Ialrwdy mentioned at the top is perfectly normal for charge rate to go down as battery has reached it's capacity so at that point BMS just balancing cells. You will not be able to change charge rate on inverter as BMS will change it back. Also you may notice that at 96-100% the battery may stop charging completely, again this is normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HandsomeRover

Hi All,

I'm slowly getting to grips with the solar pv system in the house i bought last year.

Am I correct in thinking the 'Back-up Power' listed on the Solis App and webpage is the diversion to the imersion heater? If not, what is it?

I'm struggling to make the figures add up, at least in the way im interpreting them. They do add up most of the time, but sometimes not.

My second question relates to the Solar iBoost.. With the March sunshine now showing its face, I'd like to see if I can rely on PV soley to keep my hot tank topped up for a morning shower.. I've blindly gone in and set it to In Summer Boost, which I assume will kick in once the battery is full.. Is this right?

Many thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Assuming you have a battery and the solis hybrid inverter the 'back-up power' relates to the output on the inverter which can be wired to a standalone socket that, in the event of a power cut, can power a few devices from said battery.

Not familiar with the iboost so hopefully someone can confirm that.

as @THE ALM already mentioned backup is a seperate port on Inverter that you can use during power cuts if you have battery connected. But you will need to make sure that battery has some juice or set reservation. If not in use it can be disabled

For solar boost watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGDaCjkQknI it explains what it does and how to set it. Beware that unless you wake up late there will not be enough sun to heat water at 7am so either you will be pulling electricity from battery or from grid.

Thanks for the replies..

I have two 48V 2.4kWh batteries in the attic.

So the Back-Up Power figure I see (changing) is the deliverable power at that moment were I to use it? The figures on the app are in 10's or low 100's Watts, very low.

I must see if I can identify the socket(s) connected to this o/p.

Just set the Solar iBoost to come on at 6:30 am for 1 hr, every morning, all yr round.. will see how I get on with that!

Thanks again..

yes, backup power is what the port is using at that moment. It is not unusual for it to show some usage when there is nothing connected as long as the figures are low.

Cold shower this morning🤭

I have iboost but have not used 'summer' setting as I control water heating through automation.

Looking at my stats for last week, I'm concerned I may not be generating what I could/should be getting, based upon a comparison with simliar systems in houses of people I know.

There are 16 panels on my roof, I'm not sure what rating they are as I bought the house with the system in place.

PV2 below is dead - is this because all 16 panels are wired into one input of the inverter? Or is there a problem?

Here is a plot of my Energy Purchase and Generation for March 2022. I turned off the elctric UFH on March 23.. a massive drop in cost/rise in complaints!

The peak generation I saw in the recent spell of good wethaer didn't hit 16kWh, friends have reported figures in the mid-20s...

Have I a problem?

I'm smack bang south facing, with a 26 degree tilt noted on the Solis webpage.

Thanks all..

16 panels on one string sounds wrong to me. Usually 12 - 13 is the max per string with the newer panels.

I'd split that 8/8 if you can and if possible to check if all 16 are connected correctly.

What solis model is it and put a graph of the voltages/generation as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's unlikely that 16 are wired in that way. You'd have overvoltage alarms tripping all the time on the inverter, and/or possibly damage. No I'd say that the 16 are split already as you say SD_Dracula (8-8) but it's that there's a bad connection on PV2.

it's curious that it gives 1.1V.....I'd be more inclined to think that it gives 0v if there was a bad connection. I don't have a Solis inverter, but I'm sure someone familiar with it can tell you how to get details stats of the two arrays. Could be something as trivial as a loose connection, but unfortunately.....you may need to get someone onto your roof to check each panel connection.

Not sure how familiar you are with electrics, but you might try disconnecting/reconnecting the two cables going into the inverter (do this at night time) maybe the problem is localized at the inverter.

Advertisement