Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I presume they would test and check a very small percentage of the network. In any contract like this there would be a work standard to adhere to. It's not like s roadway where you can have a Quality Control engineer on site all the time.

To QC( certification) this you would check a certain small percentage of the network.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I'm not sure that's done beyond checking that the network is operating within its licence conditions.

For example, with mobile operators, comreg verify and check coverage levels meet the operators licence obligations, and also do NIR emissions testing, but that is all to ensure they are operating according to licence.

What certification do they give nbi, beyond verifying that they operate within their licence obligations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The fact that Digiweb (and presumably others) are able to schedule an installation 2 weeks from order, and others like Sky and Eir aren't suggests this is more of an issue on the RSP side (and possible along the Bitstream/VUA split I mentioned in earlier threads). It's reasonable to suggest that the RSPs who might leverage VUA are dragging their heels about getting the equipment in place. Sky and |Vodafone for example use OpenEir behind the scenes (at least in some locations, if not all), so they would first be dependent on the OpenEir VUA equipment being in place, before they would in turn be able to add their own equipment. And lets just say the relationship between OpenEir and Sky/Vodafone has had friction:

About the certification, I find that surprising, not least because I've seen teams here in the Tipp DA checking every DP in my area in the last few weeks one-by-one. I don't want to dismiss this idea, but that's not what I'm seeing on the ground. That said, I've no idea what "certification" entails...

I am it talking about how long it takes different providers to provide the service. What I did comment on is a area going pre order and no fiber or DP's Insitu. A July install date could be optimistic in that case. We are seeing a good bit of change on installation dates on this thread. Anything going pre order with no fiber or DP's is taking the p!as and would seem to indicate that NBI may be trying to cook figure for this year.

What you describe would be NBI own test and comission phase. They would test, comission and verify there own network for themselves.

Certification or QC in government contracts would be a percentage bases check on different elements in the network. It would be to verify that what is being provided is withing the contract specification. My understanding is it has stalled at present.

Slava Ukrainii

The Mast Backhaul documents went live on the NBI site yesterday:

Will be really interesting to see if it has any impact on geographic rural coverage over the coming 5-10 years. Between this and the 700Mhz spectrum licensing, it's a fantastic groundwork to build nearly ubiquitous rural connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I remember from some of the Oireachtas Committee discussions the Dept said it would have to verify that the infrastructure was in place before subsidy payments for passed premises was made. Maybe this is what they were referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 flipper2009

I rang Sky so July 6th is not a real installation date. It's just to keep the order or pre-order live on their system. So I'm not planning my summer holidays around that date

I assume the last 2 paragraphs was in relation to the certification point you raised

"Heard there is no longer certification of the network in place by the Department of communication."

Are you talking about certification of the network, or certification of the contract, they are two different things, and I am confused as to what the former is that you mentioned, "certification of the network by the department of communication"

Certification of the network by the department of communications is part of contract verification process.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

What form of certification ?

Are you saying that this is now no longer happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

From the NBI map data; some changes to the status of Deployment Areas since the last major change on 21st of December. Caveat, the map data does not necessarily match eircode queries or the email notifications.

Using the same data it's possible to sort the completion dates into years (aggregate for 2025/6) to get the following schedule. Again, strong caveat.... and NBI and the Department have said they won't have the 2022 schedule agreed until the end of March.

The government recently launched their Digital Ireland Framework and among their strategies is:

making connectivity available to everyone, including through the National Broadband Plan, Remote Working Hubs and Broadband Connection Points, with a target of having all Irish households and businesses covered by Gigabit network no later than 2028 and all populated areas covered by 5G no later than 2030

Source: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/adf42-harnessing-digital-the-digital-ireland-framework/

The 2028 date is interesting. That assumes all premises both inside and outside the IA will have that access. They can't really control the non-IA market so is this an early signal the the NBP could drag on til '28?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Looks like EIR the saviors of Ireland's infrastructure doing exactly what I expected of EIR giving that lad a boat load of money. https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/eirs-fibre-stake-sale-will-weaken-its-operating-profile-41378053.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

I'd read it the other way. That DECC have less idea about the schedule for Eircom's 200K semi-urban so they've taken a stab at it being concluded by 2028.

In related news,

DECC are asking the industry again about planned investments in this consultation.

Consultation Question 2

The Department invites commercial operators to submit details of their existing or future planned networks delivering broadband services to premises with at least 1Gbps download speed? Details should include the list of premises that are or will be covered and the expected date by which the Gigabit broadband service will be made available to each premises.

.....and in an older document (10/2019 - State Aid Evaluation Plan) prepared for State Aid approval, it seems DECC were always wary of mischief making by Eircom re: pole and duct access for the NBP.

The main risk around the project is the complexity around the build and the interaction of the remaining bidder with the incumbent where the fibre build is reliant on access to the incumbent’s pole and duct infrastructure. The main impact on the scheme, depending on whether the relationship between the remaining bidder and the incumbent is good or not and whether regulation is effective, is on time and cost. The incumbent could slow things down and/or it could over charge for access to the network. However, at the time of the due diligence to contract award, the final bidder had concluded an appropriate infrastructure access agreement with eir for a 25 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Goldenpanda18

Looks like more providers have been added to the order now tab when an area is available for connection

the likes of eir, ivertec, ebroadband, pure telecom etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tipp36

I changed my mind instead of going with eir, going with Vodafone. They coming to install on Wednesday morning 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SungSam7

From what I've read in the comments, EIR don't seem to have a sense of urgency or they are an after thought as far as NBI are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tipp36

Nope they don’t and I got text this morning advising they can’t give me fibre anyways because of infrastructure. I don’t know if this applies to all DA’s or just mine but kind of glad decided to go with Vodafone. Will probably be leaving eir to go to another mobile provider also due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

As suggested here previously the interconnects between NBI and eir's network may not be in place while Vodafone's is.

Eir keeping up standards as usual, can't see it getting any better under the new infrastructure company.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

A couple 0f slides from a recent NBI presentation, dated 21st February. The Order/Pre-Order number is worryingly static. It changed on the NBI site on the 23rd December 2021 to 54466. Today, the 1st March, it is 54684, having updated yesterday from 54512.

If NBI is going pre order too early 12+ weeks before service is available then the workload associated with managing these through call centers generates extra volumes of calls

At the end of the time, telecommunications services are like ESB and gas providers you will be moving providers every twelve months.

On mobile there is virtually no operator providing the value Eir gives on bill pay services. I looked at moving to Vodafone when I switched fibre providers. Eir was around 30 month, Vodafone word be 30+.

Vodafone have a good prepay option but poor on bill pay. Not sure about O2. Virgin is cheaper than Eir for the first six months but you have to move then.

Deciding you do not want to deal with this or that utility limits you choice to shop around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

There was also a rather large change to the map data yesterday, specifically the total number of premises. As per @clohamon post https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118683517/#Comment_118683517 the previous total was 548,918, however yesterday they removed 13,464 premises to leave the total at 535,454. Out of 227 deployment areas only 28 have their total remain unchanged. 50 DAs increased their total while 149 DAs were reduced.

The big gainers were:

• Carrigaline (+1065)
    • Roscrea (+464)
    • Kilkenny (+447)
    • Athenry (+445)
    • Banagher (+350)

Big reductions:

• Mullingar (-977)
    • Rathmore (-732)
    • Glencar (-705)
    • Kilcoole (-610)
    • Creeslough (-581)

I'm not sure what has prompted these changes or how it tallies with the 554K figure that NBI and DECC have been recently referring to.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

At the end of the time, telecommunications services are like ESB and gas providers you will be moving providers every twelve months.

Unless you find a provider you're happy with who provides a decent quality of service at a fair price that doesn't get arbitrarily hiked up after a time. If price is literally the only thing you care about, then absolutely, keep chasing the lowest common denominator.

Deciding you do not want to deal with this or that utility limits you choice to shop around

There are electricity providers I just won't deal with, because I had horrific experiences with them in the past - billing errors, terrible communications, the works. Could I save a few euros by switching to those providers? Probably. Will I? Not on your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

Repeatedly chasing the discount is easy with the utility companies. Unfortunately, it just isn't with ISPs. Some of them are imposing large switching hassle to discourage cancelling.

The rational solution to that, as you say, is to find an ISP with 'a decent quality of service at a fair price'.

Switching should really be as easy as it is for Gas and Electricity. We're still in a sort of business wild west with ISPs.

They've previously said addresses may move between DAs as part of the surveying. I wonder if many of the DAs that lost premises saw increases in neighbour-ing DAs. The overall 13.4k loss could only be down to encroachment one would have to imagine?

That actually beggars belief. I've no doubt it's legitimate, but how they can have an installation date, followed by a text saying no infrastructure is incredible!

I'm surprised Vodafone are able to supply you, as I thought they were piggy-backing on OpenEir (Siro is not available in the Tipp DA), but perhaps Vodafone are going the bitstream route (or perhaps Vodafone were only using the OpenEir access network). Anyway, glad you didn't get held up. I'm still stuck in the land of pre-order.

• Advertisement

Telecoms is going exactly the same way as electricity and gas. They all give you a 12 month or 24 month contract and after that prices can increase by 50+%

The most any charge for a change of connection is 100 euro. As the extra monthly payment is 20+ euro it pays to move. Some only charge if you want them to fit the new modem

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement