Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

'hoodwinked to make a tonne of cash'

Catch yourself on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No

There should be locations selected to mass dump the masks as a symbolic gesture to the end for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No

I haven't been wearing them for a few weeks now

You really are blustering all over the place on this.

You are literally admitting that you will wear a mask to virtue signal and 'just to be polite'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They're called countryside ditches, suburban gutters and our public parks. The councils have been lifting large amounts of them already from people just f*cking them on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

what will happen is that the people wearing them will get fewer and fewer as time goes on that the few that are left will eventually stop wearing them as they will feel out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

I'm not worried about catching covid, or a common cold. But I'd rather not tbh. Plenty of countries didn't need covid to see the benefits of face coverings to prevent "normal" respiratory illnesses.

People banging on about personal freedoms the last two years, suddenly seem to have a massive issue with people exercising their own personal freedoms now around masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

Yep. You only need to walk around any shopping centre car park to see how much most people value their mask. This litter problem will get significantly worse over the next few weeks.

Me I'll be throwing mine in the bin come Monday evening (assuming the removal of the requirement takes effect from Tuesday 00:00)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

It doesn't matter if you or I as individuals pay attention to some random person on the radio or not, the problem is if enough people pay attention they can try and sway the government's decision, that's what they're doing right now.

Just as the government used mass media to beat us into submission, and turn everyone in the country into a covid snitch / policeman, the die hard "Vulnerables" are trying to sway the narrative and keep mask wearing a legal requirement, thereby forcing their opinion on me.

That's where the problem is.

Thankfully Mehole appears to have grown some form of backbone and is going against them, although in saying that, we all know that he's just hiding behind King Tony's recommendations, so maybe that doesn't require backbone.

No

I’ve never seen nurses wearing them in general pre covid unless in an operating theatre. The reason they are worn in theatres is to stop the staff contaminating the wound of the patient and vice versa as in splashes from the patient’s wound entering the doctors mouth. Wearing them while in a shop while buying a head of cabbage makes zero sense.

• Advertisement

No

I just don't see the reasoning for it. There was (briefly) a case for restrictions and masks in early 2020 when we had little or conflicting information on Covid, and scary news coverage of events in Italy and China. As I've said before, the first lockdown was entirely justified on that basis - although I'll remind people that it DIDN'T include mask wearing, and yet there were no mass outbreaks in shopping centres.

However, by the summer of 2020 it was becoming clear that those who were actually at risk (outliers aside) were the same groups as would be vulnerable to those "normal" illnesses you mention, ie: the very elderly and/or immunocompromised - and even then the risk of dire consequences was far from guaranteed!

For reasonably healthy adults and especially kids (who have suffered most with restrictions), there has always been little real risk (which is a good thing!) and that already low level of risk diminished even further with Omicron which presented as a mild to moderate cold/flu to almost everyone who caught it. Mask wearing did not stop Omicron but this is also a good thing as we finally achieved endemic Covid and increased immunity among the general population.

There's also a case to be made that we have weakened our natural immune systems by trying to hide away from this and now those other relatively harmless illnesses. It's a good thing for the body to be exposed and fight off the common cold or a host of other minor illnesses. By continuing to wear masks unnecessarily you're actually putting yourself at potentially more risk of serious illness.

There's also the ongoing detrimental impact to communication which is very much reliant on being able to see facial expressions, but even just having a conversation in a mask is generally difficult. Socially it continues to highlight barriers and distrust of others in normal everyday activities which is not good either.

Unless you are actually in the potentially vulnerable category, there's just no reason for it anymore and the only other reasons I've seen given are virtue-signalling and a notion of "doing the right thing", or unwarranted concerns and fear of things that we all just got on with before 2020. It's like some people have regressed and are genuinely fearful of emerging from behind their masks.

For all these reasons, I see no valid argument for continuing or encouraging it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

No

Absolutely not, no never again pandemic is over, no more crappy masks, we managed to survive before without masks so I think we will survive again, stupid itchy irritating masks in the bin

No

Listening to Pascal on NT earlier, I think it's more the economic reality and cost of all this has sunk in - we now owe approx 230 billion Euros after our Covid-splurge, or 47k for everyone in the country as they put it.

There's also no "rainy day" fund anymore (which Pascal confirmed) and concerns raised about diminishing Corporation Tax receipts in the next few years, added to energy costs and the costs of living generally spiralling, and now Russia seemingly poised to invade Ukraine which will only worsen this, the realisation seems to have set in that we need the country and economy fully reopened without limits or restrictions if we're to get through not just the next few months, but years and possibly another lost decade.

In short, they need everyone fully back to work and buying and selling in the economy, not still hiding away or concerned about a virus that is even less risk to the majority than ever.

No

You seem to have a problem with people in general, why not start another thread on your anxiety around people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

You make a fair point.

While I'd like to think the financial cost of the covid overreaction and lockdowns will preclude them from locking down again, I fear masks will be a low cost band-aid that they can re-impose to keep the Vulnerables happy.

Once the legislation expires there's nothing stopping them introducing more streamlined legislation around masks only..... you can drive to the beach at the other end of the country, but bring sun cream and yer mask 😬

Tine will tell I guess!

No

Thats ironic seeing that the same medical professionals have been ignoring cancer patients over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 poppysee

Yes for the majority of times unless I'm at the gym or maybe at work.

No

Averil Power isn't even a medic. She's a former FF TD who after failing to be re-elected in 2016 joined first the Asthma society of Ireland, then CEO of the Cancer Society of Ireland in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That part where you say Yeah a brain is funny.

Some would question if there's anything between your ears at all.

No

😆

Catch yourself on. I haven't heard that one in a while. Very "retro".

You probably didn't even read that PDF.

Your opinion is different than mine and that's fine.

Don't get yourself too bothered by my opinion being different than yours.

• Advertisement

No

Thanks, I’ve never heard of her just assumed she was some medical professional.

No

Maybe Change your name to Joe Biden it would suit your mindset so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I work in an office in healthcare so our regulations aren't changing - masks all the time, social distancing, reduced seating at breaktime, meetings virtual where possible. So wearing a mask outside of this environment won't be such a big deal to me.

I'll wear them on public transport but not in shops, unless I have my panicky parents with me. Public transport - not for COVID specifically, but for general respiratory diseases now that their use has been normalised. A packed LUAS is a hotbed of colds/flus/etc and just because someone is on their spluttering I don't want two weeks of my life ruined by the cold I get off them.

And when I say mask I mean FFP2. Cloth or surgical masks are pretty useless for protecting you from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Have a think there about the line of logic that you are supporting. What is being claimed is that masks offer no protection against the spread of covid. Your argument, attempting to "prove" that they don't, is that you never saw nurses in general wearing them before covid? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

we now owe approx 230 billion Euros after our Covid-splurge, or 47k for everyone in the country as they put it.

Hmmm. Again with the scaremongering.

The vast majority of that debt was accrued long before Covid. Our headline debt level before the pandemic was circa 200 billion euros. So to use the scary figure per person, circa 40 grand.

Debt isn't the major problem and never really has been, the world has changed, it's the cost of servicing the debt that is the important metric.

Borrowing costs are, not surprisingly, a key determinant of sustainability: ceteris paribus a decline in interest rates allows the sovereign to carry additional debt without jeopardising repayment capacity. Since 2011, there has been a prolonged decline in borrowing costs for the Irish Government. In part, this reflects the monetary policy stance and, in particular, so-called ‘quantitative easing’, whereby the Eurosystem has used its money creation powers to purchase sovereign debt of all euro area Member States.

The decline in borrowing costs also reflects the nearelimination of the ‘risk premium’ demanded by investors to purchase Irish sovereign debt instruments, on foot of the prudent management of the public finances in recent years. Crucially, Ireland’s debt management office – the National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) – has taken advantage of the low interest rate environment by issuing longer-dated debt at lower yields. As a result, there has been a persistent downward trend in the average rate of interest – the so-called ‘effective interest rate’ (EIR, figure 3a).

In 2019, the EIR was just 2.2 per cent, and this figure will be below 2 per cent last year. Figure 3b shows the stock of (gross) national debt by the interest rate share. Around two thirds of debt is at rates of 2 per cent or below. Furthermore, the vast majority of this debt is also at fixed rates. 

The last line is the pertinent one.

In real value the cost to service our debt today is about two thirds less than it was 10 years ago.

Unlike 10 years ago our economy is booming.

As for your assertion that the government would continue to apply restrictions to the populous if they could afford it and it has little to do with the epidemiological situation of the pandemic, well that's just has no anchor to anything reassembling reality.

No

Donald why would nurses wear them pre covid if it didn’t exist? You seem to think nurses wore them while doing their rounds in hospitals before covid existed, it’s a well touted line and is as lame today as when it was first used, almost as ridiculous as the seatbelt one.

No

I won't be wearing one. I hate the things and I'm not entirely convinced of the effectiveness of a piece of cloth.

Since masks arrived I've been fascinated by their popularity. So I have some theories.

They have become a symbol of safety greater than what they actually do provide. I think a lot of people feel a psychological protection wearing them, logic isn't as important as how they make them *feel*.

I also think they provide a type of comfort blanket to hide behind. It can be painful for some people to be seen and there can be lots of anxieties and paranoias, a mask helps with that...or holds the person back... whichever way you want to look at it.

Then there is the powerful feeling of being part of something, a club. 'We will all wear a mask because we are all in the together. I have found my tribe'.

Finally there is the possible self righteousness masks can bestow on the wearer, 'aren't I great for wearing my mask and you who won't are careless and selfish what are you trying to prove'.

Of course there are many many people who feel medically safer with them, who are immunocompromised, dealing with illness etc.

Whatever the reasons I won't judge anyone for doing what is right for them but in some cases I will wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No

Personally i wont, i think mask wearing has brought out a lot of anxiety in people as has the whole covid thing in general and we need to move on and get back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

"Fascinated by their popularity"? They were a legal requirement in most public settings, whatever about theories about people continuing to use them in certain settings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement