Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Will drop to Gamestop at lunchtime on Friday, drop home and preload it.... and possibly "work from home" the rest of the day... save time and stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Aye, but that doesn't make you correct. Dark Souls and Demon's Souls allow for a huge variation in character building, and when combined with items and boosts you can produce characters capable of one shotting most bosses. It requires a thorough understanding of the game mechanics and levelling up...which sounds fairly RPG motivated to me.

Likewise, you can 1 SL the game through pure skill.

Sekiro requires the most base level skill of all the From games but even then, depending on what you upgrade and how you progress you can hone certain skills.

Generally the people that don't like From games haven't played them and are going on what they have read, or they struggle to progress in that game initially. If you do a bit of reading there are lots of ways to progress in the game, but I agree that it can be daunting at first.

I agree for the most part, but even then there are 1-2 clear optimal builds for each class in Souls games, and some classes are always much better than others. For the most part to make your build truly effective, you need particular items and skill points in particular areas to use/buff them. Sure, in later playthroughs you have the skill and knowledge to make whatever type of build you want, but on first playthrough it's usually fairly important to focus on one particular optimal build and get particular a set of skills, items, weapons to maximise your abilities.

Well, it does, because I'm defining what I believe an RPG is, and I don't think it meets my definition. You are free to define an RPG your own way. After all, it's not exactly a well defined term.

Some people think a game with story choice is an RPG, where I would call that a story based adventure game. But I wouldn't say they're "wrong" to believe that. It would be helpful if there was a single definition, but that isn't the case.

So I am right, according to my own definition. 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dave0301

You stated "I also happen to think that games where player skill is more important than character skill are not true RPGs...but I think RPGs should lean more into their pen and paper roots, where your characters skill is most important..."

There are ways to play Soulsborne games that require less player skill and more character development and skill building. Seems like an RPG from your own definition.

Ok, I'll take your word for it. It's just the most common thing I hear about the series is it requires a lot of player skill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If **** kingdom hearts is a rpg then souls games are rpgs.

Eh I always just bumble my way through. Sure you can min max but with how damage scaling works min maxing is really only for the hardcore. It's kind of difficult to impossible to make an unplayable build. Just pick dex or strength I found is the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

Is anyone planning on changing region and starting early or will that work on this on the series X

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

review embargo at 3 pm tomorrow, not that I'd take a whole lot of notice unless they are completely skewed to one extreme or the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Has there been much information on how this runs across the different consoles. Will likely pick it up for my series S but might hold out for a digital foundry report first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The term 'RPG' means completely different things to different people. To me they are defined as long story-driven adventures with customisable characters and/or party builds. The line started to blur when standard action games started to introduce skill trees and the like, but I wouldn't consider any of these RPGs.

So Dark Souls and every Zelda are not RPGs (for me) but something like the most recent Deus Ex is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They did a breakdown of the network test already so that would give you a rough idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

It's defo an RPG (Really Phenomenal Game)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Launch trailer out on YouTube now. From a quick glance on Reddit, it appears to be pretty spoiler heavy, so yeah I'll skip that. I normally cave and watch all trailers, but we haven't long to wait now sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Interesting thing about Souls lists is how much they differ from person to person and how much uproar they cause :)

Mine is

1- Dark Souls 1

2- Demons Souls

3- Dark Souls 3

4- Bloodborne

5- Dark Souls 2

6- Sekiro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

1 - Shadow Tower (hehe joke...)

1 - Dark Souls 1

2 - Demon Souls

3 - Bloodborne

4 - Sekiro

5 - Dark Souls 3

6 - Dark Souls 2

I'd be reluctant putting Sekiro in there at all as it's apples and oranges

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Dark Souls

2. Sekiro

3. Bloodborne

4. Dark souls 2

5. Dark souls 3

6. Demons souls

7. Kings Field (which I genuinely enjoyed immensely)

And before anyone asks about dark souls 2, the main game is very weak from a level design standpoint but I think the dlc is exceptional and it has the best mechanics of the souls games. Dark souls 3 relies way too much on the delayed overhead to catch you as you come out of a roll which never doesn't feel cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Excited to get round to this at some stage huge backlog at the minute per my list

Would have to be

1. Sekiro

2.Bloodborne

3.Dark souls

4. Demon's souls remake

5.Dark souls 3

Even though dark souls 2 was my first souls wasn't gone on it initially couldn't get over how difficult it was. Sekiro is the pinnacle of from software for me, it just had so many mechanics and the parry system for me is pound for pound the best one imo.

Only thing I would say about it is **** guardian ape fight.

Haven't played them all, so:

1. Sekiro

2. Demons Souls (remake)

3. Bloodborne

4. Dark Souls 3

I imagine Elden Ring will end up being 2 or 3. It'll take something truly spectacular to knock Sekiro off the top spot for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bit of a sad one, this guy StrayDemon would post fan art of what they thought the enemies and npc's would like like when the game was first announced. Then they posted about feeling very sick, possibly covid and their last post was on Feb 25th 2021. Multiple people tried to reach out including Vaati. Could be a forgotten password but probably a bit worse than that :(. This redditor put together a tribute vid showing off StrayDemon's art.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Pre-downloading on PS5 now.

Demon's Souls

Demon's Souls Remake

Bloodbourne

DS3

DS1

DS2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Bloodborne is my favorite due to the nature of the world and all that eldritch horror which I prefer to the medieval castle esthetic.

1. Bloodborne

2. Dark Souls

3. sekiro

4. Demon's Souls

5. Dark Souls 2

6. Dark Souls 3

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

1. Sekiro - I liked not having to 'worry' about stats/builds and it's easily my favourite combat system in any game ever made. I thought the boss fights were top tier also.
    2. Bloodborne - Similar to Sekiro I liked how stripped back the stats system was compared to the other souls games, and the 'vibes' and locations are probably my favourite of all the fromsoftware games
    3. Demon's Souls (Remake) - I only got to play this when it was remade for the PS5 and I absolutely loved it, and I've completed it more than any other souls game, except for Sekiro. It didn't have the bloat that I feel the Dark Souls series suffers from at times and overall felt like a much more focussed albeit linear game.
    4. Dark Souls 3 - Great game, it really felt like the culmination of everything they had done with their previous games.
    5. Dark Souls 1 - It's a classic no doubt, but if I'm being honest I don't really enjoy the latter part of the game and I find it tedious at times. That being said, when it's good it's incredible.
    6. Dark Souls 2 - This was actually the first souls game I played so it has a special place in my heart, however after playing the other games it's definitely the weakest in my opinion.

Booked Friday and Monday off work to throw myself head first into Elden Ring. The excitement is fever pitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I haven't done much 'proper' gaming for some years, so among Fromsoft games, BB is the only one i completed everything (because i just love the theme so much i guess aha). DS2/3/sekiro - basically speedrun and mostly main quest. Ye i wish I could spend more time on all of them (like even BB is basically the bare minimum hours i finished/got everything) - i should do a bucket list really ha - sit down to replay them one by one and fully complete them.

1. Bloodborne

2. Dark Souls 2 (ye because when i played it is the full/DLC version so the game is fine for me. i thought the game is abit lulz coming after DS1 but that also makes it entertaining - DS2 is the 'most fun' to me ha)

3. Sekiro / Dark Souls 3

4. Dark Souls 1 (ps3 era that i didnt even finish it ha...)

Demon's Souls - ah because i am actually getting fatique on DS after DS3 and because the remake is not really done by From so...maybe i will give Demon's Souls a go one day (prob when the price dropped so cheap ha).

Post edited by seraphimvc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Interesting to see how varied the lists are. The original dark souls and Sekiro appear to be the most polarised.

I was thinking of taking Friday off for Elden Ring but opted to 'work from home' instead ;)

Not so gone on the demons souls remake. I mean having what can be called an actual framerate is great but blue point's interpretation of the art was off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

1. Dark Souls
    2. Dark Souls 2: scholar of first sin
    3. Dark Souls 3
    4. Bloodborne

I think a lot of it depends on which one you play first, but DS1, despite its flaws, holds a special place in my heart as it was my jumping on point to a series I'd written off as being too difficult.

Bloodborne should probably rank higher, but its the only one I haven't completed, and I was definitely suffering souls fatigue by the time I got to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bloodborne

Dark Souls

Sekiro

Demon's Soul

Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 3

I liked DS3 but it was definitely the point where I was thinking 'I hope From start mixing up the formula a bit'. Thankfully, Sekiro mixed things up nicely - although still would like to see them push even further.

Bloodborne wins handily because its setting is on a different level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

See people talking about "stats/builds" is adding to my, hopefully misplaced, ambivalence of this. I have seen a few videos talking about different character classes and I note there is a samurai so maybe I can Sekiro this up a bit. In my near 40years, I've never gone back to a game as much as Sekiro (I'll just randomly pick it up for a boss battle), it just clicks with me.

My list (along with my experience of From games) can be seen in this snip I just grabbed from my home screen

Advertisement