Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

Djokovic returns to tennis.

6-3 X 2 vs Musetti who has a record run of 2 wins in a tournament proper ever since he decided to quit on the court at RG vs Djokovic just for the sake of quitting as he admitted himself afterwards.

I said that that was a bad omen for Musetti's future prospects (despite what others protested).

So it has proved.

Now hopefully De Minaur can beat Khachanov to set up Djokovic vs Australia part deux in the second round.

Might see Djokovic "trying a bit" in that match if it happens.

Maybe De Minaur might take a dive here in the first round!?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Zverev beats Kozlov in Acapulco, finished at 4.55am local time! Latest finish in tennis history.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zverev really struggled in the first set, got his act together on his serve in the second. Brooksby seemed to be running out of steam, but kept going, in fairness to him. He is one awkward customer, that two handed drop shot is murder, the way he can disguise it. Sascha was afraid to sit down from the end of the 2nd, he seemed to be afraid of cramp. Hardly surprising as the temperature didn't go below 28 degrees all day and night.

Unfortunately Khachanov beat De Minaur so no Djokovic vs Australia

FAA pulls out of Dubai with back injury (downside of being that tall) after getting back to normal ways with a final loss to Rublev at the ATP 250 in Marseille

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

In Doha, Ostapenko continues on her merry way, beating Amanda Anismova 6-3 4-6 6-4, having easily beaten Oceane Dodin yesterday. She plays Krejickova tomorrow, in a repeat of their R3 match at the Australian Open, which Krejickova won 6-4 in the third.

Azarenka has given a walkover to Madison Brengle, robbing us of a potential Azarenka vs Muguruza match in R3.

Murray vs Sinner in Dubai tomorrow could be interesting. Murray won their only previous meeting in Stockholm last autumn.

• Advertisement

Zverev defaulted from Acapulco for behaviour during a doubles match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

Zverev gives some further evidence of his uncontrollable temper,his ex may recognize this behaviour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shocking behaviour from Zverev. Right in front of lots of kids too. Hopefully the punishment really hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

The ATP are certainly taking their time over the investigation into the domestic violence allegations made by Zverev’s former girlfriend. This kind of behaviour doesn’t help his case at all.

I see Radacanu retired injured in her match last night against Daria Gavrilova now playing under her married name Saville. The match was already in play for over three hours and Saville was struggling with cramp when Radacanu retired with a hip injury. Hopefully her stamina and fitness improves in the near future or it could be a very short lived career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Thats the worst I've ever seen from a tennis pro, almost assault on the umpire there, he would have been genuinely frightened, I see a general ban coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

I feel the British pressure will destroy her, this wimbledon should be very telling ... can you imagine Sue Barker and the BBC ???

Christ it will be (Henman*Murray)^10

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭poppy37

Yeah you are right, I’m beginning to feel sorry for her even though I’m not a fan of her game. Winning the US Open could be the worst thing that has happened to her, the hype and pressure is way too much and she hasn’t helped matters with her red carpet appearances and promotional deals. She needs to get the head down, concentrate on her fitness and stamina, and enter more lower level tournaments. Her current level of play is more related to top 60-80 than top 20.

Gavrilova is a tough cookie too and is only ranked so low because she has missed over a year with Achilles problems. She’s a grinder that will stay out on court all day especially against an opponent who doesn’t have any huge weapon in their game.

All is not lost yet and she could do worse than have a chat with Murray who also struggled with his stamina in the early days as did Djokovic, it all depends on how much she wants it really.

I’m already dreading the Wimbledon hype and she has a lot of points to defend there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nice touch that Zverev made sure the youngest kid at the gate got his souvenir racquet 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Winning the us open worst thing to happen to her haha. Think of the class players who have never won a slam. Ridiculous comment in my opinion.

3 hours 36 minutes for the Raducanu-Saville match. Had it ran its course to (say) 7-6 or 7-5, it could have been 4 hours long.

No such worries for Ostapenko, who just has taken care of Krejickova in Dubai, 6-3, 6-2, in under 75 minutes. 8 wins in a row matches her career best, which she has done twice before. She will also overtake Raducanu in the rankings next week.

I've just seen a clip of that Zverev incident. He really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Karolina Pliskova did something similar in Rome a few years ago after losing to Maria Sakkari, but she aimed her racket at the side of the chair. Although she was fined, she escaped serious sanction, supposedly because other senior players intervened on her behalf (it was a really, really bad call that upset her at a critical point in the match).

Mad from Zverev - especially considering that it was just a doubles match.

Moronic stuff.

Raducanu, nice girl etc but that has nothing to do with the tennis where she has a pretty limited overall tennis game (e.g. doesn't seem to have a running forehand for one thing, although not alone in that on the WTA and volleying is not really a feature) and it remains to be seen if it can be added to to be competitive over a career.

The task of adding more strings to the bow at a high level is pretty difficult.

12th in the world rankings (having actually moved up 3 places after the Australian Open despite having only made the 2nd round purely due to the inconsistency of last years' entrants) and that is going to face a precipitous drop after this years' US Open most likely.

I don't think that even the BBC can hype her up too much if the results have not improved dramatically by the time Wimbledon rolls around.

One of the weirdest matches ever last yesterday with Dimitrov and Kozlov. I don't know was Dimitrov put off by the whole thing, but he seemed very gracious in defeat and tried to help him with the cramps. He seemed to ease up, maybe expecting Kozlov to throw in the towel?

The court in Cancun is so slow, it makes clay look like grass. Could probably give the trophy to Nadal now.

Just saw Millman having to retire yesterday as well, with a freak accident. This is becoming a very strange week

Monfils pulls out of Davis Cup, probably after vaccine booster reaction he says

This follows three consecutive tournament withdrawals.

For high-level sports-people where it's their livelihood, their career or their achievements at stake it's not the same consideration as Joe or Mary Soap tbh, more especially in the Omicron world which since the turn of the year is the dominant variant worldwide where huge spread is happening everywhere regardless of vaccination rates and infection mild for fit athletes in the prime of their life

"I want to give you some news following my recent tournament withdrawals," the 35-year-old Frenchman said on social media. "I have been experiencing a small health issue (probably from my third dose). Upon the advice of my doctor, I have decided to take some time to rest. I cannot, unfortunately, play Davis Cup next week. I hope to come back in the United States."

• Advertisement

Alcaraz -> more stats on his rise so far to the Top 20

Youngest player since 1993 to crack the ATP Top 20

Nobody currently younger than him the top 250 players on the ATP tour.

I see that he's out with an elbow injury after his Rio win - can be tricky.

Hopefully not anything serious as he's one of the best players on tour to watch.

Andy "Wildcard" Murray's "comeback trail" rolls on after Sinner dispatches him 7-5 6-2

He still has no appointed coach and is not playing clay this year.

His old coach is making some headway with Shapo who could well match up with Djokovic in the semis in Dubai which could be an interesting test.

Murray has been pretending to forget how the professional commercial sport business model works again also I see also - would have thought that was clear enough at this point for him really?

Seriously, if one drew a fair analogy to the movie business, it's like saying that Tommy Lee Jones should be the same as Jennifer Lawrence even though Jennifer Lawrence can directly influence way more movie ticket revenue and produce higher ancillaries (sponsor product placement etc).

The Zverev video got deleted so here it is again incase anyone didn't see it

There was also this from the same match

Of course he's also got previous form for abusing umpires

It'd be great if the ATP actually took some kind of a stand on this and gave him a ban. Doesn't have to be for very long, maybe a 2-3 month ban would suffice. Just send the message that this sh*t shouldn't be allowed to go down. My guess is they'll stick their heads in the sand though and wait for it to blow over. I mean, they've already announced they'll be returning to China this year, so..

Djokovic playing pretty shite against world the current no. 121 left-hander Veselý who is a big brute of a physique and has lost the first set.

Veselý won their only previous meeting back in 2016.

#1 ranking on the line here. Vesely would also lead the h2h 2-0 if he can get the job done, there can't be many players who can say that against Djokovic? Although Kyrgios is one 😬

Wow, Vesely wins. Medvedev new No1. Who'd a thunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Djokovic out!! Sloppy game he played, looked out of practice

Medvedev the new World #1, a good day 😎

Djokovic looked a bit rusty at this stage of the season, I wonder what he could've done to avoid that? 🤔

I wonder how many players have a winning h2h against Djokovic? Must be a pretty select group.

Ostapenko routs Muguruza. Has now won 9 consecutive matches and defeated 6 grand slam champions along the way. Didn't have Ostapenko steamrolling her way through the Middle-Eastern swing on my 2022 bingo card, but I'm enjoying it! Hope she can keep it going.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement

The first three quarter-finals in Dubai have all gone with recent form

Sakkari d, Gauff 6-3 6-3

Kontaveit d. Jabeur 6-4 6-1

Ostapenko d. Muguruza 6-2 6-2

I didn't see the first match. Kontaveit was very impressive, but Ostapenko even more so: 39 winners and 21 UEs against 5 & 10 for Muguruza, Sabalenka and Swiatek are up in the last match of the day.

Advertisement