Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freedom Day - February 28th End of mask mandates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Freedom Day is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

"Freedom Day" is a bit less of a mouthful than "The day we finally got rid of those pointless face rags that were only introduced to be seen to do something and stop the Vulnerables from whinging" 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Its more than just masks though lads, it is a big day, all restrictions will be gone, lets not forget the days when the guards were stopping us from travelling 2km from our houses. Everything bar shops was closed, we couldn't see our loved ones, my own daughter never saw her grandmother, she died when she was 8 months old, covid was a pretty **** time for most people so the day when all restrictions are gone is a pretty big deal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

We've nothing to worry about with what's happening in Hong Kong have we folks?

One other thing, the COVID App is showing daily deaths again now. Yesterday there were 9 deaths, 3,294 PCR Cases. Interesting change. You don't get the daily death info on the TV news anymore.

anyway, we're finished with covid, so what the heck eh!

You're not wrong, everything will be lifted thankfully. The guards were a thundering disgrace, moving people on who stepped outdoors for fresh air and stopped to enjoy the good weather for a bit, or have a bite to eat before scurrying back indoors.

I think the focus on masks is due to the concerted effort to keep them in place.

Apart from the social distancing stickers, the masks are the main, visible manifestation of the remaining restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

"The guards were a thundering disgrace, moving people on who stepped outdoors for fresh air and stopped to enjoy the good weather for a bit, or have a bite to eat before scurrying back indoors."

Yeah. That never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Always good to see empathy alive and well.

If any of my family call it Freedom Day, I'm going to have to disown them for being an absolute plonker.

You reckon?

So tell me then why I got moved on while trying to eat a lovely BLT... Was I being rowdy, flinging bits of bacon at passers by perhaps?

Lots of complaints on here about their behaviour with people simply sitting down, moving them on or how about running people from queues for coffee shops & trailers.

Deny it all you want, but you should check their Twitter feed... covid patrols at empty beauty spots FFS 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Maybe not to that level but you not remember the guards stopping the outdoor socializing in Dublin last year after we were told to socialize outdoor. They were fairly heavy handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

When we had the really good weather during the first lockdown the Guards were moving people on from a beaches and parks near us. We were sat on a picnic blanket with my young daughter miles from anybody and were told to move on, all the benches and picnic tables were taped off. You either have a short memory, didn't go out during lockdown or are being revisionist.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

How could they move someone on at an empty beauty spot?

If someone "stepped outdoors for fresh air", then they weren't breaking any regulations or laws, and wouldn't have been moved on. Unless you can provide an example?

You're not going to get any empathy from me, Freedom Day for the win.

If King Tony says it over, then that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

but it did - your revisionist history doesn't change this happened quite a bit.

where i live we had gardai stopping and enquiring as to what people were doing while outside walking and people being told to "go straight home after the supermarket" (exact words to me) . I witnessed gardai moving people on at the beach and asking half naked people for their details in the changing shelters. I went into the sea and they didn't fancy the cold water so they let me be.

The gardai were an awful shower - harassing regular people like the old people at mass but not having the b0llocks to tackle a traveller wedding. why is that now? only the low hanging fruit for our boys in blue.

Covid made one thing clear - the gardai are here to serve the state not the people. Nothing they do is for your safety only to implement the wishes of the state.

Gardai upholding the law. What a shocker.

And the people are the state. One and the same.

We were only legally allowed to leave the house for food, work & exercise. I'm not going looking for legislation to prove a point, but you know very well I'm not lying.

If you went for a walk and sat down, then you weren't exercising, were you? You got moved on it they caught you.

But you keep going with your revisionist agenda, people have already backed me up with earlier posts, so it's not just me with a bad taste in the mouth after the behaviour of the cops here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So wearing a mask on the bus meant you had to put your life on hold! How sad.

So we're hiding behind the law now?

Just because it's the law doesn't make it right.

Do you only abide by laws you agree with?

Should the guards check with people as to what laws they agree with before taking action to uphold such laws?

I pick and choose, I thought that was obvious? A bit of speeding and shoplifting never hurt anyone 😁

The world is full of unjust laws, just because it's the law doesn't make it right. I'm sure any Chinese or Russians in the audience can give you examples of unjust laws.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Been wearing a mask every day in work since June 2020, be great to be rid of it.

Will probably still wear it in crowded public transport, shops etc.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Discretion, it's called discretion. They were on a power trip and you know it.

They don't need to ask "what laws will you comply with today", but they should know better than to chase someone off an empty beach or park bench.

Plenty of examples where the "we were only doing what we were ordered to do" excuse was wheeled out and history didn't judge that too kindly.

But you know that and you're just nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Yep 2 years of it was long enough, let it be gone as of Monday and consigned to a reeling in the years episode down the line. Time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Agreed, I'm glad to se all the restrictions gone, and it was good to see the reminder above of just how **** it was... So long, so sad, bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Not to forget the pricks were out dancing around like muppets while at the same time bothering us every which way as they felt like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

So according to you all gardai simply enforcing the law were 'pricks', regardless of the fact that just a small number of garda were involved in making some (lighthearted) videos?

May I ask what were you doing for your country during this time other than whinging about others were doing or otherwise?

The official Garda Twitter account was regularly sharing videos & photos of them dancing, manning checkpoints, and patrolling empty, remote beauty spots, so yes, they were all pricks by default seeing as they were assisting the government in depriving us of our civil liberties.

Light-hearted my hole.... by dancing like knobs and patrolling beauty spots for lockdown violators they were rubbing our noses in the fact that we couldn't leave the house without a reason, and if we did get to where they were dancing, we'd get fined. Their cringeworthy videos certainly didn't lift my spirits when I was staring at the same 4 walls for months on end.

What did I do for my country you ask? I worked, paid my taxes and stayed at home like I was ORDERED to do.

What, pray tell, did you do for your country during the lockdowns that allows you to sit on your high horse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I’m going to burn my mask on top of Sliabh Louvre and have a few cans.

Advertisement