Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bit harsh on Voyager there imo. Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan are fairly decent and Robert Picardo is up there with my favourite Star Trek actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't think so. I liked Voyager most of it but at times the acting was like something from a soap. Yes Robert Picardo has certainly has a successful career being in Star Trek Voyager, DS9 as well as First Contact and Stargate as well as more shows and did do good acting plenty of times.

Unfortunetly Jeri Ryan was only ever in Voyager for her sexiness not her acting. She is not a bad actor do.

Kate Mulgrew done OK put there were times when she could have done better.

I was not saying they were crap they are way better than any of the actors in Discovery just that they were not on the same lever as Patrick Stewart or Brent Spinner or even Avery Brooks. You could even say some of the lesser character actors in DS9 done better acting like the actors that done Dukat or Garak or Armin Shimmeman who was Quark.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Voyager wasn't great, but they were still leaps ahead of Enterprise, ensign Mayweather in particular. That actor would easily make my Top 1 of worst actor in a Trek's main cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Worse than Wil Wheaton?

Roxanna Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill might not appear in front of camera much but they have quite the directors resumé built up. I remember seeing Dawsons name pop up on three episodes of Agents of SHIELD and Robert apparently turned down a Star Trek directing gig to go direct on The Orville instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
    Ms

Enterprise ain't that bad. At least it has proper Star Trek aesthetics unlike Discovery.

I would watch Enterprise over Discovery any day. Yes some things could have been better in it and if Many Coto had of been there sooner it would have.

At least they did not mess with the races or the shop designs do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Enterprise was boring. The characters were completely free of charisma. I just couldn’t deal with it.

Discovery at least had some adventure. Turned to muck though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Will episodes of Picard arrive on Prime on the same date they are release Paramount+ in the US ?

Also, how come Paramount only took Star Trek Discovery from Netflix and not the other four series and not Picard/Lower Decks from Prime?

Since the Paramount+ isn’t coming here or the U.K. until the summer I would have thought it made more sense to let Discovery Season 4 be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@Useless Lump

Why isn’t Star Trek: Discovery coming to Netflix internationally?

In an unexpected move, Deadline reports that ViacomCBS has bought back the international rights to seasons 1-3 of Star Trek: Discovery.

Before this buyback, essentially every region outside of the United States and Canada carried Star Trek: Discovery. In total, 188 Netflix countries used to carry Star Trek: Discovery. Not only that, it does so as a Netflix Original complete with Netflix Original branding and intros.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-4-not-coming-to-netflix/

Picard & Lower Decks was a later deal with amazon.

https://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2021/12/22/five-star-trek-series-leaving-amazon-prime-in-january/

Those links only say that this and that are being removed which I obviously already knew.

It doesn’t answer my questions about why not remove Picard too nor why not let Discovery Season 4 just get released as it will most likely be finished well before the launch of Paramount+.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Is it this week or next week that season 2 starts?

Edit: So to answer my own question it is next Thursday the 3rd that it starts on.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Rawr

I believe the distribution deal for Discovery with Netflix was running up and due to some nonsense at some level the whole renewal deal collapsed leaving them with Paramount+ being their only option in most counties. You can still see pre-2009 Trek on Netflix (I'm still watching a bit on there lately), and only Discovery removed. My guess is that they really didn't plan to roll out Paramount+ internationally just yet and found themselves a bit stuck by the collapse of the Netflix deal.

For Picard my guess is that Amazon Prime probably got International rights until the show reaches it's 3rd and final season. I'm hoping that similar is true for Lower Decks for a while to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Gating P+ behind a Sky Cinema subscription is almost guaranteed to kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Aside from Trek there seems to be very little on Paramount + to tempt me to subscribe. Between Netflix, Prime and Disney + I'm at my limit. Disney at the moment is one of the best, Prime is just an extra on top of delivery, and Netflix is grand, no where near what it was a few years back, but there's always something to stick on. Not a chance I'll add a fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Same here. I would drop Prime only for the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'd be the same. While Prime has some pretty great content, the interface is a complete sh*tshow to use. I've found myself using less legitimate sources for some Prime shows, simply because it's easier to use than their bloody site. Two examples stand out, herself was watching Greys Anatomy on Prime before finding it on Disney +. If you searched for the show the lists of seasons were all over the place. First result might be season 16, then 4, then 10 etc. Also (this is a particular issue to me but anyway) I'm on Amazon.de, while there is now an English interface, it used to be the case that if you searched for a film in English you'd be prompted to buy or rent it, but look for it in German (which would have English as an option) it would be free with Prime.

The absurd preponderence of streaming services at the moment, along with nonsense like Star Trek being dropped internationally due to Paramount+/Netflix, has me reverting back to 7 or 8 years ago and finding shows elsewhere. Never mind the cost of Netflix/Prime/Disney+/Paramount+/Apple/Others I'm forgetting, just finding something between all the apps is a massive pain.

Prime search is awful but if you click into a season of something you can manually change the season of that series on that page.

Prime seems to go nuts if you watch a series then go to watch it again. Can't handle that at all. Works best with voice on a fire Device.

Most streaming services seem to have poor UI's.

Prime seems to have two results for Season 1 of Lower Decks, one with episodes missing in the middle and another full season. It's kind of weird. Recent developments with Netflix and their Marvel shows go to prove that nothing stays in one place forever.

• Advertisement

It is the same for Walking Dead with duplicate seasons and duplicate collection of seasons

Also episodes of Vikings used to randomly become “unavailable”

Ms

Why what happened with Netflix and there Marvel shows?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Getting pulled off Netflix at the end of the month. Will probably turn up on Disney+ later in the year.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Kind of actually looks like Star Trek but doesn't the Queen usually call him Locutus?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that's got me a little bit hyped up I've gotta admit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Rawr

Was kind of interesting but that scene was a visual mess. They were pulling the same crap they’ve pulled in Discovery where they roll the camera about without rhyme nor reason making the whole thing a good bit harder to follow. I hope that was just them re-editing the scene for the trailer, and not what we’re going to get for the entire show.

Beyond the nitpick of her calling him “Picard” and not “Locutus” (and this might be explained in the story itself), didn’t the auto destruct seem a little too instant? You normally see them adding an ID code and in most cases they have to give a countdown lenght. I’d accept that the sequence system may have changed by then, but Auto-Destruct kind of loses its dramatic bite if you leave out most of the steps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ooof, that was awful; the editing was horrendous. Shaking the camera, lots of stupid quick cuts to try and give the impression of energy and action. I'm guessing they're pulling some In Media Res approach and having us chart how they got to this crisis

I watched the clip again.

• The security team's uniforms were new, they had an asymmetric cut a bit like the TOS movie reds. I didn't see Rios' uniform clearly enough to see if his changed.
    • I miss long phaser beams instead of the pew pew ones they've been doing lately.
    • Depending on how far into the episode this is there could be adequate explanation as to what's going on. Q offering Picard a monkey's paw wish as the self destruct goes off and Seven waking up without visible implants would have been a good cliffhanger set up if we didn't already know the gist of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Possible in the alternative timeline, Picard (like Seven of Nine) was never assimilated.

Edit: Just noticed that Seven still has her ocular implant in the clip so looks like it's from before Q's meddling.

Vulcan bleeding green blood, I'm impressed. Shows an attention to details that's been lacking in the Kurtzman productions.

I've a feeling by the way things are going, that's a clip from one of Picard's nightmares. That or Q clicks his fingers seconds before the auto destruct activates and brings Picard to the vineyard scene.

Advertisement