Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'll continue to wear mine depending on busyness of wherever I am, etc.; I don't find it to be the enormous inconvenience some are making out. And I'll especially wear them when I'm ill - have done that before covid too, on flights. There were a group in sniffling and spluttering in the room in uni yesterday (masks on chins of course) - even with no covid floating about, it's still irksome behaviour.

No

They were indeed a legal requirement but I think many people embraced them. Come Feb 28th I expect to see plenty of coffee shops and public places still having their mask wearing signs in place, and refusing your custom if you don't wear one.

They are still everywhere and will continue to be long after they are no longer mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

No

Yeah I don't think you can come to any accurate conclusions on the popularity of something that's been a legal requirement for the last 18 months.

I think by April it will be clear how "popular" masks actually are. They won't just disappear next week. More and more people will gradually stop wearing them as they get more comfortable with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

No

No

I've already stopped wearing them and its been a breath of fresh air😉

The length of time between NPHET's advise to further relax restrictions and the government acting on it is a bit annoying considering how quick they moved in the other direction- usually a press conference the next day with advice coming into effect from midnight. Therefore I have taken it upon myself to take the advice straight from the horses mouth and trust the scientists.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No

I won't be wearing one, I honestly don't see why you would. I have been vaccinated and have had Covid so I can't imagine that I pose too much of a risk to anyone. Didn't have to wear one when I went into work yesterday so nice not to have to wear it.

Its nice for shopworkers as well who have to wear them all day now. They must be delighted. Its not a big deal for me as I only had to wear them for a few minutes in a shop or a train but I do feel for people who have to wear them all day.

It will all drift away in a few weeks. The incredibly considerate people wearing them now will stop when nobody else is wearing one and nobody cares any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

I will continue to wear them in shops and public transport, I do not see it as a big deal.

It will not help others 100% but it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It blows my mind that after 2 years of this so many people still don’t understand the basics of how masks even work.

I think older people and others who feel more vulnerable will continue to wear them because it gives them a feeling of security. So I doubt they’ll disappear completely. I won’t be wearing one outside of work but in work I have no choice for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No

That's a fair point and if I was in a lift or something with an older person I would put mine on as they may be more conscious of the risk and to be honest I feel like I am wearing it more for others then myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

No

I won't be wearing one, can't wait to get rid of it! I know some people seem to not find them uncomfortable but I do and I feel for anyone who has to wear them fulltime. I have shopping to do and I'm putting it off until next week when I can do it without a mask, have put many things off since they became mandatory. I won't fly again either until they are gone.

People can make their own decisions about them but if someone is feeling vulnerable then obviously they should wear the FFP2 masks or similar to protect themselves, makes more sense than everyone else wearing a mask that may or may not be of any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No

Yep I'd be exactly the same. I can't stand the things and generally have used the visors instead where possible, but like you I have actively put off or not done things because I find them extremely uncomfortable (and unconvinced as to their real value), even for short periods.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

No

No.

No

I see lots of people admitting that they don't think they work but they'll still wear them to feel more comfortable.

Sad what we've done to people.

The masks are now like teddy bears for adults

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

No

In my day job masks are used in a controlled environment. There are procedures regarding how to put them on, fit them, no touching them etc. In that controlled environment our product doesn’t get contaminated once we completely follow these procedures any slight deviation can lead to contamination.

So in the real world where very few people are wearing a well fitting mask, many are reusing multiple times, rearranging it etc the effectiveness of masks is no way near the same as a controlled environment.

I think masks make people feel safer, but the protection might not be as high as they think. For those that are vulnerable I think they need to consider what mask they are wearing and wear a mask that protects them. That way they don’t have to consider all the poorly fitted masks or chin nappy’s out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was in Derry today, where it is now a mask free zone since start of the week.

Most places had a mix of masked and unmasked folk about. If say probably more not wearing them than wearing them. I decided to have a walk around the main shopping centre with my mask wrapped in my wrist. Must say, it felt strange after nearly 2 years of wearing one in public.

I did put the mask on in smaller shops if the staff were wearing theirs, as I probably thought it was still preferred in those spots.

It is good that they are coming to an end, or at least their mandatory nature. I'll still carry one with me for the foreseeable future, and I still wear mine around my elderly mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

No

I don't understand all the hostility from either side. Masks will no longer be mandatory from Monday, surely then everybody has a choice whether to wear one or not.

I am eldery and vunerable, and at no time during the last two years have I expected anyone to protect me. I am old enough to have the common sense not to put myself into what I would cnsider a dangerous situation, and that won't change,I will still wear a mask in hospital settings, which I agree with.

I am also deaf, and the masks have been a nightmare for me, I find it hard to breathe in them too, so for me I'm delighted to see them go. There is no joy anymore to browse in shops, I just go in and out in as little time as possible now. Whatever you choose to do, respect what choice the other person has made. I won't be giving anyone funny looks if they are wearing a mask, and I will expect the same respect to be shown to me for not wearing one. If anyone is breathing down my neck, whether they are wearing a mask or not, I politely ask them to take a step back, and that also won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

No

No

Any healthy person without any underlying health condition who wears one after next Monday needs a shoe in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

No

I can imagine them on the way into the shops next week..........

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

No

If Tony says there not necessary anymore why continue to wear them?

No point going against NPHET now is there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

Yes in all situations.

Voted yes in all situations as its the closest to what I will do. I'll wear them in shops and my work brings me in close contact with people so I will continue to wear one in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Catch yourself on is a normal phrase in lots of areas

None of the comments I replied to had any pdfs linked to them. If you want to share it again fine

Different opinions are fine. Different opinions based on nonsense aren't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I haven't caught COVID so far and don't really want to, so I'll probably still wear FFP2 masks in supermarkets and shops or when entering small/poorly ventilated spaces (like toilets). I'll definitely still wear them on planes and public transport. It seems like they protected me quite well on fully booked flights last year even when I had several exposure notifications after being on planes. I don't really fancy flying somewhere and getting sick/being stuck in quarantine/isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And how would you know ?

You thought Averil Power " was a medic " !

I'm annoyed that I did actually go and read that, what a waste of time

One of the benefits of currently living in Canada is that I've already heard of the CCCA. I've also already been aware that they are talking about 90% bs at least, maybe even more.

Anyway, keep believing we've all been 'hoodwinked' (how retro of you) if you want, just keep to yourself and stop spreading rubbish in an effort to convince other easily lead people

Am glad you included the last paragraph because tbh, it all sounded just a bit judgemental up to that ,Diamonds !

In my experience all the other categories would be a minority and the vast majority fall in th the immunocompromised and vulnerable.

But that is my experience and I accept you probably see more suffering with different issues , so fair enough .

On the subject of cloth masks agree . Useless except are used for brief spells with social distancing and everybody wearing them .

Anybody who seriously needs protection from now should be wearing either surgical masks or ffp2. The latter really do work but are a pig to wear .

I really think it's time masks went for most people , but would prefer that people maintain vigilance where others are vulnerable and be kind .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

So many experts

Well by April a lot will be moving outdoors anyway and hopefully this wave gone .

A good summer and no further variants ..will be a different landscape .

No

What's written in that are facts not rubbish.

As I said, you can choose to believe what you're comfortable with and that's fine.

I suppose this fella is talking through his hoop aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Advertisement

'alternative facts', I think is the term Americans use. Alot of what is stated has already been debunked

That organisation is headed by Dr. Ira Bernstein, a cursory Google of him should give enough evidence that this isn't an organisation to give credence to.

I can't watch videos at work, but seeing as it's someone you think will further your cause, yeah he probably is talking out his hoop

I don't 'choose to believe what I'm comfortable with' as you put it, I believe what is most strongly based in scientific fact

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement