Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesty scheme for undocumented migrants in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i know of a few areas where the local hotel was taken over as a DP center , Of course it has an impact , one of the main bars in the down gone , only function room of any size gone , locals who were staff there gone , along with the sudden and unsupported introduction of a large group of young males into a small provincial town ,

if you cant see that has an impact on locals your not paying attention

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The poster pays attention but seemingly the rights, wellbeing and happiness of those arriving trump those of the Irish citizens…that’s just their schtick anyway. Zero concern or consideration for the actual people in towns, villages and indeed cities who need to sacrifice elements of their own wellbeing and happiness to enable that of others…the government have accepted that there are approximately 17,000 people here, undocumented….begs the question what the fûck have our GNIB being doing instead chasing down these people and repatriating them…

a population approximately the size of clonmel of people here, benefiting from our resources without any right to do so.

17,000, in a country this size…scary…

surly for a few years we’d be better off spending more money resourcing the GNIB and repatriating where appropriate and at least a deterrent exists where one now, does not.

Ireland has a big ‘come and get’ sign hung out its window and the am nasty scheme is only adding to it..

the amnesty has been commented on by a government spokesperson as NOT a one off amnesty… this IS to become a regular practice… the country now will reward those who break its laws… who take from the citizens but they will now get rewarded…. Instead of a deterrent it’s an open door policy..

when asked if this is a one off or a repetitive amnesty isn’t was described by McEntee as a “once in a generation” amnesty…

in other words, tough get used to it, its going to be a feature of Irish life..

the amnesty has been commented on by a government spokesperson as NOT a one off amnesty… this IS to become a regular practice

I'd heard a rumor but its fantastic to see someone else mention the same rumor. Great news! You don't happen to have a link to that comment by any chance?

Sure…

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee described it as a “once-in-a-generation scheme” which will improve the lives of many people who are contributing to Irish society, but who still live in the “legal shadows”.

Ah yeah, I saw that article. I don't see anything there about it not being a one-off though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Welcome to boards. It's discussion and with that many varieties of opinion. Some don't seem to understand that.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

Once in a generation clearly means, not a one off…

she could have just said ‘one off’ never to be repeated…..

but once in a generation…. It’s quite clear and unambiguous.

the timeline definition of ‘once a generation will be interesting’ … my guess it will be once a decade…at best, more often possibly at worst… it will be used as a political football

Yeah, what I'd heard was every 8-10 years, with an anticipated volume of around 2,000-3,000 applications each time.

The number will be higher this time around simply because its the first time its being run.

Either way, great news

Not only that... if it comes off a success, in that nobody objects to it, then surely it would be valuable to implement it again at a later point?

After all, there's no indication that they're going to start deporting people, which means the numbers of illegals will rise again after a while

I’d say five to six times those numbers that DaCor is talking about to be honest, I’m basing that on the historical trends as set out by the ESRI…

great news for them, but for the country and the wellbeing of its citizens and those here legally, a car crash disaster on a grand scale.

• Advertisement

Interesting, according to that "Over 5,000 people were removed from the State in 2018, 95% of whom were refused entry at the port of entry and were returned to their point of origin." So 4,750 were stopped in the airport when arriving, only 250 of those already here were actually deported.

As for those gaining Irish citizenship "A total of 8,225 immigrants were granted Irish citizenship last year. The top 10 nationalities of people naturalised in 2018 were Poland (17.8%), Romania (10%), United Kingdom (8.4%), India (7.6%), Nigeria (5.8%), Pakistan (4.4%), Philippines (3.9%), Latvia (3.7%), China (2.8%0 and Brazil (2.7%)." So 2,237 Non-EEA persons out of 8,225.

Note, as a result of Brexit, the UK is now a Non-EEA country. Doesn't affect the numbers in the article as its from 2018, but anything after Brexit will count the UK as Non-EEA in the same way as Brazil, India etc

What does that have to do with the hotel in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

Your apology is most sincerely accepted. I hope we can generally keep to a civil discussion on this.

My, small hometown, had an increase in population recently of asylum seekers. They were moved into apartments that have been lying empty since they were built maybe 15 years ago. The area looks so much better now, and it has stopped the local teenagers hanging around drinking there. The kids are also attending the local schools, keeping the numbers up.

There is no negatives to these people living there.

If they are legal, above board, documented good luck to em

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is Government policy to accelerate the residence/naturalisation of immigration rule dodgers. We are wasting our time giving out about it, as there is not one political entity in the Dail that opposes it either, and the media is very compliant also.

Whatever about immigration adding to our multicultural nirvana eventually, to me it seems too much far too quickly for us to absorb. That is the game plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Why is this great news? Honest question.

Why is rewarding illegal immigration something to be celebrated?

I really would love to see if there's any rational justification for it beyond meaningless platitudes like "the right thing to do" or wholly inaccurate comparisons to "the 'undocumented' Irish in America" (who are just as illegal and should also be sent home).

Seriously now.. What are the benefits to Ireland or Irish society?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I welcome legal immigration.

I reject illegal immigration.

In that context, I welcome EU immigrants, and genuine refugees (the 6,900).

I reject bogus asylum-seeker, and rather than giving them accomm, their cases should be dealt with in under a week, at the port of entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I can't understand how some people in Ireland seem to welcome and encourage bogus AS.

It has been well established that the AS are actually economic migrants, yet some people cheer them on, and welcome them.

Even when it is reported, over and over, of the scale of illegal immigration, for example see the Garda Operation Vantage, hundreds of bogus AS involved.

The ESRI tell us that half of AS in 2015 have arrived from that hellhole..............the UK!!!

(see ESRI RS72 p24)

https://www.esri.ie/system/files?file=media/file-uploads/2018-06/RS72.pdf

These are all illegal immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We have thr CTA with the UK, so they won’t show up in our figures. Anyone from the UK can come and go as normal and vice versa.

Asked and answered multiple times in this thread already

The only benefit to people here is to businesses and business owners… drives down cost of labour, drives up the cost for the consumer in many situations… in time it will impact social welfare payments negatively, certainly increases to keep up with inflation will be a thing of the past, maybe then we’ll see a real fightback in terms of for our welfare.

Undocumented is the same as illegal.

just a more friendly BS way of saying it.

If I steal a car tomorrow would it be appropriate to exclaim..” i erroneously conveyed a vehicle,not under my direct documented ownership to xyz “

If the locals are paying tax it certainly impacts them. The hotel doesn’t feed and accommodate free gratis…

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

An Undocumented sex criminal is also one of Mcentees Undocument immigrants.Following conviction he became a Documented criminal only because the law was applied.

'...'Bagrat Kudzievi of Albert Rd, Cork city, who was living in Ireland illegally who sexually assaulted a young college student has been jailed for six years....''

How about an amnesty for Undocumented rapists,undocumented tax evaders etc.?

Only foreign criminals are being treated differently under the law via this Undocumented Immigrant Scheme. It favours those of all nationalities so long as they are not Irish.

All supporters of this scheme are vehemently anti Irish . This scheme is the embodiment of state sponsored hatred of one ethnic group,namely Irish people. Somewhere down the line an Irish child will have an operation or treatment cancelled or delayed because of the social welfare costs of this criminal scheme.

If it was legal and moral there would have been legislation put before the Dail ,debated and voted . There has been none. Helen McEntee is therefore implementing state sponsored racial hatred of its own people with this scheme.

I happen to live in a tiny box in Dublin that I pay nearly 2K a month for. So my circumstances don't allow for it. If I had somewhere that I could rent, then yes why not. That's just business

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I guess that was why they were putting asylum seekers in Achill, Oughterard, Ballinamore, etc, etc.

It was all because of the abundance of local work opportunities.

You are either deluded or pulling the ****.

I know which one I would bet on.

I am not allowed discuss …

Yep, one of them being my hometown. Great success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

Sure Coveney said as part of project 2040 that around half of the 1 million population increase by 2040 will be through migration...but he doesn't want to make migration an issue.. of course he doesn't because he and the government know damn well the majority of people would be against it, this scheme is by no means a one off

Advertisement