Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked doctor sues former employer for refusing to call trans-woman "she"

Options

Comments

There's the problem jack. I dont think it's anti-trans or 30 years out of date, or even slightly controversial to say that biological men should not compete with, or be in places designed and segregated specifically for, women.

Now perhaps that's a very regressive opinion (I don't think it is) but it is one I firmly believe.

That's not anti-trans in my opinion. I'm not singling out any particular group of biological men. It goes for EVERY biological male (or everyone "assigned male at birth" if you want to use a more acceptable, yet silly, term).

But you have already said you have no intention of being civil and have shown that in recent posts so I will leave you to it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Hysterical rubbish. Can you point out exactly where oej has advocated getting rid of safety for women?

As far as I am aware, all laws protecting everyone in society are still in place.

I hate to point out that the majority of women who get raped in prison are raped by make prison officers, not trans women.

There is nothing stopping any male walking into women's toilets or changing rooms and why, in the world, so you think that toilets suddenly change men into sexual deviants?

Is it all men that women need this protection from? Or just trans women?

I'm pretty sure that person isnt a millionaire

A screen shot of a banned poster from Twitter? Brilliant 🙄

It's all men.

There is zero evidence - zero - that trans women offend at different rates to other biological males. And plenty that they do. You just have to Google.

OEJ:

"Why don’t you ask yourself what is the objective of pretending anyone is a threat to anyone else on the basis of their characteristics alone? Whether they’re a man or a woman or transgender or religious or not or the colour of their skin, ethnicity, immigration status, whatever… why don’t you ask yourself what is the objective of doing that? "

The objective of understanding that biological males are a threat to biological females is to protect the latter from assault, rape and murder. This is basic stuff, that OEJ appears to have a problem with. Yes, 'not all men', but enough men as they say. It's basic safeguarding.

Nothing is perfect at stopping an abuser entering female spaces, you are right. What works today is a) social mores and b) the fact that a woman or women can tell the person to get out. You want to remove both of those, so that when somebody who looks like a man follows a women into a bathroom she cannot say anything and cannot do anything.

BTW if you are actually interested google the WiSpa case in America, in which a convicted sex offender went to an all-women spa and was called out by the women there, only for them to be told that there was nothing they could do. So in California the law enables indecent exposure. Brilliant!

• Advertisement

It's a photograph. It's a real thing that happened. And yes, the poster was banned because Twitter is a misogynistic hellhole.

What do you think of it. Dare to say, or do you have to just pretend it isn't happening?

If all men are such a threat to women, I suggest we put a curfew on all men. They should not be allowed out in public alone, far too dangerous. They should only be allowed out with supervision. Also, they should never be allowed to be alone with a single woman just in case.........

BTW it isn't hysterical drivel. It's absolute reality. OEJ is in favour of all these positions. If he isn't he can say so (I won't engage, but he can say so):

• Mixed sex toilets
    • Mixed sex sports
    • Mixed sex prisons
    • Mixed sex women's refuges
    • Mixed sex provision of medical care
    • Mixed sex 'women only' shortlists in politics
    • Mixed sex 'women only' grants and scholarships

By mixed sex I mean any man can access them by saying he is a woman at any time, so biological women have nothing to themselves.

The consequence of all the above should be obvious but maybe it isn't. Anyway, it will be in time. Nobody is going to have to persuade anyone when the next Katie Taylor is beaten by a man claiming to be a woman in the ring. The conversation will end overnight.

I didn't say all men, you did. But "enough men" as they say.

Yes, male violence (and sexual violence) is one of the reasons why women have spaces away from men. Spaces like refuges, prisons, changing rooms. This is why these spaces exist - in addition to just providing privacy and dignity to women who want it.

If you want to get rid of these spaces just say.

Male strength is the reason we have single sex sports. Again, if you want to get rid of them just say.

You said 'it's all men' so, in that case we better protect women from all men by keeping all men away from women.

• Advertisement

You are right, I did say it was "all men" that women need protection from, rather than just "trans women" - in response to your question.

You obviously don't believe that women need protection from men in any circumstances, which is a valid if pretty out-there opinion, so fair enough.

I do, perhaps I am in a minority in thinking women-only prisons and sports are a good idea. By women-only I mean biological women obviously, someone saying the magic words 'I am a woman' doesn't become weaker or less dangerous after all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Unfortunately, this thread has gone so far off topic that I can’t see a way back to tackling the issues raised in my OP.

No objections from me if the mods decide to close this one. Shame.

Well I don't believe 'it's all men' in exactly the same way that I don't believe 'it's all trans women' in fact, I believe that there is more chance of being assaulted by a man than a trans woman!

I have spent well over 23 years in my current job, and I can tell you, as fact, that all people are capable of committing crime, no matter their sex, gender, nationality, background etc. And the vast majority of people do not commit crime.

Most sexual offenders are known to their victim, unfortunately. Stranger rape is very rare. And, if there is a man intent on raping a woman, the fact that she enters a female toilet is hardly likely to stop him now is it? These are facts. Not hysterical hysteria based on nothing.

The vast majority of violent crime and the vast majority of sexual assault is committed by males. I know anyone can commit a crime, but I also know that being approached by a man on a dark street at night puts me on edge in a way being approached by a woman does not. Please let's not pretend we don't all understand this.

I know that most offenders are known to their victims. There are lots of reasons for this, but one of them is access and opportunity. The inevitable result of the drift toward mixed sex facilities such as changing rooms and bathrooms is more opportunity. I don't believe this is a price worth paying, for what exactly?

You talk about not being able to keep men out of women's toilets today. Well no, when push comes to shove you can't. But when someone who looks like a man enters a women's toilet today they can be challenged. If security is on the premises, they can be called. If that person is an employee of a business, they can face disciplinary proceedings, etc etc. What we are now arguing for is telling women to keep their heads down and mind their own business (that isn't a joke, signs like this are going up all over colleges), even when instinct tells them something is not right. We all know what the consequences will be.

I would urge you to think clearly about the inevitable results of this drive to abandon biological sex as a meaningful way of providing segregated facilities.

I care not for segregated toilets and I find it unbelievable that posters seem to think that sexual offenders suddenly care whether or not they can enter women's toilets🙄

Sexual offenders will sexually offend. That's their MO.

It's actually shocking to see the amount of people who think trans woman=possible sexual offender. Says everything about your attitude and prejudices.

Oh and nobody is telling women to ignore their instincts. What you don't seem to understand is that women don't need to be in a toilet with a trans woman to have any sort of instinctive feeling that something isn't right.

Those are feelings that women deal with ALL THE TIME , see that man that sits just a little too close to you at the bus stop/on the bus?

The guy who makes sure he rubs right up against you in the, not so crowded pub, so you can feel exactly how excited he is doing it?

The creepy weirdo following you around the library?

Just 3 of many instances that women find themselves in every single day. All in completely public areas. If you are so worried about women's feelings and their safety, maybe start by doing something about things that actually happen, instead of some fantasy thing that might happen........

I agree.

The toilet thing does distract from a lot of the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do you think giving men access to women's dressing rooms and toilets by saying they are a man will make it more likely women will be assaulted?

Who is saying trans women = sex offender, any man can say he is a women, so sexual predators can lie to access women's safe spaces and assault them.

At the moment women can make a complaint or men can intervene if a man is entering women's space and making women uncomfortable.

Do you think allowing any man who can say he is trans enter female spaces will make it more likely women will be assaulted?

Nope.

Perhaps read my post about the actual realities of being a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am not sure which post you are referring to.

Do you agree or disagree that giving men the option to say they are trans and to enter women safe spaces gives the opportunity for predators to falsely identify as trans and make it easier for them to assault women?

• Advertisement

I don't believe any predators are more likely to pretend to be trans to assault women, then those same predators will do anything to assault women. It's ridiculous to obsess over a very rare chance that a man might pretend to be trans to get into a toilet 🙄

Did you read my post about the reality of being a female and what women have to put up with in real life, now?

I read your post. I thought it was a welcome reminder of the reality that women are exposed to creepy (or worse) behaviour from men on a regular basis. I also agree that men can and should do more when it comes to calling this behaviour out. If anything, it also reminds us not to over-estimate men as a group.

But I'm totally confused, because what you are arguing for is that when you go swimming (for example) that creepy man is entitled to be changing next to you, or showering next to you. Are you sure that's what you want?

Today we have social conventions that broadly speaking keep spaces like swimming pool changing rooms single-sex. They are not perfect, but again if a bearded 'male-looking' person entered the women's changing rooms, people would speak up, someone would demand they leave, somebody could call security. A male person obviously 'enjoying' being around semi-naked woman would not last long.

If activists get their way, all of that will be gone. It will be a case of keep your head down and hope.

By the way I wish you and others would stop pretending that the things one side of the debate warn about don't happen. They happen all the time, I shared a link with comprehensive data that mixed sex facilities lead to an increase in sexual assaults. It isn't scaremongering and if you were arguing in good faith you would accept that.

I think we are doing a disservice to men to say the issue is assault on women. That's certainly not my main issue.

I just simply think men and women should be allowed have their own spaces, designated for their own sex, for privacy or whatever other reason. I think it's also silly to expect people to accept that people of the opposite sex are the same as the sex they want to be in the instances of sport, prison, changing rooms etc.

It's just simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have come to the conclusion that all this "concern" for cis women really is just an anti trans front and nothing less. OEJ is very correct in identifying that the people its coming from underneath it all absolutely don't give a sh!t about women.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

And to clarify one thing: it isn't 'trans women', it is ALL males.

But when you say that trans women can use whichever changing room they wish to, you are effectively giving a green light to any man who wants to enter the women's changing room. It is impossible to argue otherwise.

So do I, but moral shaming is - literally - the only argument they have.

I deal in realities. I don't become hysterical about fantasies with barely any basis in reality.

I did not see your link, what exactly does it show with regard to sexual assaults? How has it caused an increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

If as much energy was spent targeting the actual abuse that happens as opposed to the imagined, potential abuse, we would be in a much better place.

While I understand some people have concerns and I accept some of them (fairness in sport for example), I don't buy most of the "concern".

• Advertisement

For the record I agree with all of this too.

Women should be entitled to their own spaces just because, and they shouldn't have to jump through hoops to justify it.

In addition I have no issue with mixed spaces that people can use if they wish to. That's fine. But let those women who want them have their own spaces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement