Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card fast?

Options
  • 23-02-2022 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I will be going on a work trip in five days and did not realise that I would need a credit card to rent a car. I am with N26, I don't have an Irish bank account anymore. Is there any way to get a credit card fast that I can use to rent a car? Unfortunately, there is absolutely zero option to rent one without it.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭landofthetree

It is possible to rent a car in Ireland without a credit card.

https://www.enterprise.ie/en/help/faqs/debit-or-credit-card-payments.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

In 5 days, it's very unlikely you could get an account set up and get a credit card to you within the five days. Do N26 not offer virtual credit cards on some of their plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've rented in the past without a credit card. They'll take a hold on the debit card for the amount of the deposit though.

If it's for work though, ask the finance department, they might have a credit card you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Corbally76

If you can't find a car hire company that takes debit cards your only quick way get a Mastercard with Bunq https://www.bunq.com/benefits under their Easybank plan for €2.99 per month. The card with this account is treated for pre-authorisation purposes with vendors as a Mastercard credit card. You will get your card number in the app very quickly but I don't think you will have the physical card in the post within five days. You will need the physical card to pick up the car on the day. For this card to work you will have to lodge the amount of money into the account that the car hire company will want to do a pre-authorisation for i.e. if the car hire company wants to do a pre-authorisation for €1,000 on the card when picking up the card you will need this amount in the account. You can pay using any card when your return the card but the pre-authorisation amount won't be released back to you til after 7 days approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

many accept debit card including enterprise & sixt

https://www.sixt.com/help-center/articles/car-rental-without-credit-card/#/

Just be sure to bring additional ID such as utility bill and even a bank statement with transactions not showing for address confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

Sorry, I didn't make that clear, it's not in Ireland, it's Croatia

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dawanda

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

I remember looking into similar for a family member a few years ago and found some rental companies may offer the option of using a debit card (without paying the large deposit upfront) if you take out their full extra insurance policy which reduces the excess to €0. Otherwise they will insist on taking the max excess (usually €1000+) as security off a debit card, or else insist on a credit card. Check the T&Cs of the rental company you have booked with/are going to book and check.

Advertisement