Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Surly Mccoy wont be released. Hard find a Irish TH his size and his contract would not be huge. He always plays against Munster or French teams. Connacht wont find a squad player like him

Zero chance of Dooley going west now. Connacht asked a couple times many years ago but he had no interest. Given that he was from Offaly they thought it would appeal to him. Crazy career move he made staying at leinster not playing and losing future money. The game has passed him by now.

True and the young Aussie and wexford LHs might be joining along with TH swift. I know Connacht made contact with Pasilio Tosi of The Bay of Plenty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The Wexford LH is Ben Popplewell I assume? Who's the Aussie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Presume that tosi was before tuimuague??

finn wright I think was the Aussie props name, believe he’s still in galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

URC says that a judicial officer has deemed Connacht lock Leva Fifita's sending off for two yellow cards against Scarlets "was sufficient and therefore there is no further action required."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Glad that he won't face any suspension but not sure why they couldn't just admit the second yellow was unwarranted. Have only seen a single take of the many many I've seen online from fans of all backgrounds that it was and saying otherwise just looks like wagon circling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Easiest way to move on with it while appearing to stand by their refs decision (at least publicly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

There was some commentary on here about other players being less than enthusiastic since it was announced that they'll be leaving, but Arnold is definitely not playing like a man on his way out the door - fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

He has been really excellent. Consistently performing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Would be a great signing, has been good for the 20s

Nice to fry him into the Irish system

Saw on Twitter rumours of David Hawkshaw and Charlie Ryan being linked with Connacht, max deegan also rumoured. Those three and Chay Mullins would be decent additions along with Josh Murphy. Think a 13 or starting fullback could still be looked at too potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Hawkshaw would be a strange one for me, we have Forde who covers the same positions and isn't particularly far behind in his development. Not going to say complain about us signing good players though.

Not too concerned about fullback, Porch was top quality there imo, Hansen seems tailor made for the position, and McNulty has a bit about him too.

Also happy with our stocks at 13, Tom Farrell is one of the best in the league he just needs games, and Jennings is a top tier prospect (although I prefer him on the wing). There's Shayne Bolton too, who has obvious potential even though I haven't been too impressed with him this far.

I think the hawkshaw signing would let both players concentrate on either 10 or 12. Think fordes long term future is at 12.

if you’re moving Hansen or porch to 15 full time might need a bit of quality depth on the wing then so? Love Tom Farrell but the fella can’t seem to stay fit. Could see Bundee at 13 a bit more with Daly and forde fighting it out for 12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I can't see Deegan leaving Leinster. He's getting lot's of game time and is going well.

Hawkshaw would be a good signing. He is a skilled player and can play 10.

Ryan has had injury problems. He could be an asset if he can stay healthy. He's certainly big enough.

If these signings are legit, Connacht could have a very good deep squad. I think they should try to sign ROL. He would add to the depth and is very experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Hasn't Hawkshaw been dogged by injury pretty much the entirety of his career so far? I know there was huge hype about him at U-20's but he hasn't seemed to been able to get a run of games together since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea! But he's 22, with a big upside. He's a playmaker and an option at center. It's not like Robb, Tom Farrell and Daly are injury free all the time!

I think McNulty is a quality back 3 player too! TOH may be on the wane. Connacht are building nicely and the signings have been good. The recent pick ups from Leinster are really adding to the depth.

If Chay Mullins goes to Connacht. They will have crazy depth on the wings. The expansion of the URC has helped Connacht with recruitment. Leo Cullen must be sick inside!

Ya I wouldn't be too excited about Hawkshaw. Connacht did try sign him last time but he stayed with Leinster. He is very small but maybe with Robb, arnold likely gone and Daly/Farrell injuries he could be a handy stop gap until Bolton and jennings are a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named -

4 Changes to the starting team and a 6-2 split on the bench.

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS DHL STORMERS

Saturday 26th February, 13:00 @ The Sportsground

Number/Name/Caps

15. John Porch (50)

14. Peter Sullivan (19)

13. Sammy Arnold (31)

12. Tom Daly (55)

11. Alex Wootton (23)

10. Conor Fitzgerald (46)

9. Kieran Marmion (200)

1. Denis Buckley (202)

2. Shane Delahunt (115)

3. Tietie Tuimauga (6)

4. Niall Murray (28)

5. Leva Fifita (8)

6. Cian Prendergast (22)

7. Jarrad Butler (88) (C)

8. Paul Boyle (68)

Replacements

16. Jonny Murphy (18)

17. Jordan Duggan (24)

18. Jack Aungier (24)

19. Oisin Dowling (18)

20. Conor Oliver (33)

21. Caolin Blade (142)

22. Tom Farrell (71)

23. Abraham Papali’i (19)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I guess either Oliver or Big Pap can play 12 for 20 min if we're ravaged by backline injuries during the course of the game

• Advertisement

Will be very interesting how Mack gets on at 14 for Ireland. If he can replicate the same form on that winger could be huge for Connacht.

Wootton looked unreal in the 11 jersey last season but don’t think he’s the same player at 14. Similarly porch has probably looked better at 15 than 14.

A back three of 11. Wootton, 14. Hansen and 15. Porch could be up there with the deadliest in the URC.

Friend says Hanson was signed as a 10 and Hanson told him fullback is his best position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acEWSzthxrE

"It’s not really a proper stadium. There’s a greyhound track around it. The weather is terrible and the wind comes in."

"Playing in this environment, it’s something that top-end professionals like Steven Kitshoff and those guys don’t get to experience much."

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/stormers-willemse-urc-connacht-galway-gale/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

https://twitter.com/BrendanFanning/status/1497318162844590085?t=JsJDRv5z_LVNfYn4TvYrKQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

That's a really s***y click baity take away from the article. You're taking tiny snippets out of the quotes to make it sound like he's putting down Connacht and the Sportsground. If you put in the whole quote and context it's not that bad

While the weather might be very different to what the Stormers are used to back home, Dobson says the squad has been embracing the unique experience.

“That’s been our mindset this week. We could complain about it. It’s not really a proper stadium. There’s a greyhound track around it. The weather is terrible and the wind comes in. I don’t know if you saw the footage of training yesterday, when the hail and snow were coming through.

“Or we could say to ourselves that we are not going to experience this often in rugby anymore. They have got plans for the development of the Sportsground, maybe putting a roof on it. It is really just a unique experience in a beautiful town. Playing in this environment, it’s something that top-end professionals like Steven Kitshoff and those guys don’t get to experience much. This is one of the classics of rugby. So we are going to embrace this as a great experience.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

A roof?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Porch had no need to shoot in beside wooton there. Even though they seemed to have numbers they didn't even force them to make the passes.

Fitzgerald is completely out of his depth at this level.

It's a bad state of affairs when both your first or second choice 10 turn down any half difficult kick but at least Jack is good from open play.

I don't see anything in Fitzgerald in either regard to hold onto him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You'd think Porch and Fitzgerald between them would be used to the wind at this stage. That aimless kick completely fooled them and the Stormers player read it correctly and kicked it on and it led to a very cheap try.

On replay probably more Fitzgerald's fault. Seemed like he was far too deep and an aimless kick landed in no man's land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's disastrous from Marmion.

Advertisement