Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union refused to cancel DPD scam charge

Options
  • 23-02-2022 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice, I have contacted the CCPC but they only give information, they don't give specific advice so I thought 'd ask here. I was the victim of a DPD scam which cost me E363, I contacted my credit union as soon as it happened and I was told that there was nothing they could do to stop the payment going through. It did'nt actually go through for over a week during which time I rang numerous times and was told that they could'nt do anything, I asked if I could close the account but was told that the payment would still be taken from my account. Now this happened over a year ago but with all that was going on it was very hard to find anyone to ask advice from, I should have come on here, can anyone tell me my rights ? Could they have stopped the payment ? Can I still make a complaint even though its been over a year ? I'd really appreciate some advice and please don't judge me for being a victim, they caught me at a bad time which turned out to be a good time for them 😒.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

One person's scam is another persons legitimate charge.

That's the first thing you need to establish.

If you are sure the charge was incorrect, then take it up with DPD, not your credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

It wasn’t DPD that was the scam. There is absolutely no point talking to DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Did some get unauthorised access to your account and take the money out - thus your account was compromised. If so the Credit Union should refund you

Or

Did you get a text or email and without looking properly, you clicked into it and enter all the payment details yourself of your own volition and then found out afterwards that it was a scam text which you opened and entered your details and lost your money.? If so how on earth is the credit union to blame in any way whatsoever? - Where is there a single iota of fault with the credit union?

Sorry, but if its scenario #2 there is no chance of a refund from the credit union for YOUR error. And neither should there be,

You got scammed. It is not for credit union members to pay for that. If you had paid by card, then there is default insurance on visa and mastercard cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OP, what type of payment was it? There are payments types that are not possible to reverse once initiated, regardless of when the update applies to your account

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi OP

Can you tell us about the scam please ?

How did it happen ?

How did it manifest itself ?

Then we might be able to give some advice.

Yes I entered my details and was scammed, that is not the issue here, I was asking if when I contacted the credit union could they have done anything to stop the payment which was'nt taken from my account for almost a week. I do not know anything about banking regulations but I assumed that there was a way to reverse a payment made with a debit card, perhaps I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Why would you wait a year to get that investigated?

It was an email supposedly from DPD saying that I needed to pay a 1.99 charge on a delivery, I was waiting for a delivery at the time and that's why I fell for it, I entered my card details and was charged over 363 instead. I used my debit card and called the credit union the next morning but they said they could'nt do anything about it...

What charge was shown on your statement when the payment went through?

Any chance there were some additional charges like custom duty/vat on the item you were waiting for?

• Advertisement

Because it's been a very difficult year and other things took priority, I'm not really investigating it, I'm just curious to know if I could have cancelled this payment, I've written of the money but something happened recently that reminded me of it and I was wondering what rights we have when this happens. I

I did'nt keep the statement, like I said I've written off the money and I can't even remember for sure but it went to a bank account in Europe....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Which is it?

You said previously "I contacted my credit union as soon as it happened", now you say you contacted them the next day. Accuracy of information is very important and you've already changed your story in just two posts.

If you've done this with the credit union they may think you are trying to just get a refund from a third party you've legit done business with, they would also be correct in advising that closing your account with them would not impact any charges.

The fact you've sat on this for a year likely means you may be out of luck, did you ask the credit union for a disputed transaction form previously? Did you fill it out, what was the outcome? CCPC website has info on this - https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/credit-cards/disputed-card-transactions-chargeback/

BUT, the fact its 365 days later means this won't be an option now if you have not already done it before the cutoff.

Generally card payments are reversed after fraudulent transaction is reported.

The money have to leave the account first so your bank was rightly telling you they cannot stop the payment.

After the payment was processed you could have called them again and report fraudulent transaction with all the details.

This happened at 11pm so I did'nt have the option of contacting my credit union as they don't operate 24/7, I contacted them at start of business the next day. Yes I did fill out the disputed transaction form. Thank you for your advice, I have already contacted CCPC as I said in my opening post.

I was told that they could do nothing, I asked several times to have the payment reversed, I spoke to the same lady over a week or more but she was adamant that I could'nt stop the payment, she never mentioned that I could dispute it after the money was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Serious lack of sympathy here for some reason. Am I the only who thinks that if the OP notified the credit union he believed he was a victim of a scam the least they could have done was to put a hold on the transaction while they checked the details given it was a full week before it went through?

Thanks for that Patrick, I did'nt come here looking for sympathy, I don't come on boards often now at all as it seems to be a place of judgement and criticism, I know there a lot of good people here but to be honest life's too short to wade through the BS. My query was more about my rights and the credit unions obligation to protect my money, I felt that they did nothing to stop a robbery and I did feel that was wrong, however, the last year or so has put things in prospective and I don't doubt that the scammers will get their comeuppance. So I'll thank you all for your comments and advice and hope that you all have a safe and healthy year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭KildareP

Was it on a Mastercard debit card (still not clear from above)? Was it within the last 13 months? If so, you can still dispute the transaction:

Credit-Union-Debit-Card-Disputed-Transaction-Form.pdf (currentaccount.ie)

Call the number on that form immediately and go from there.

You should be able to access your statements via your credit union online account, or at the very least they should be able to reprint older statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yes I did fill out the disputed transaction form

And what was the response from the Credit Union when you submitted the form?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Op gave very little detail initially.

Now it seems it was paid by card. Cards have chargeback options. That's why it's good to pay for things with cards.

Credit union staff are not tuned in to things like this as the cards / current accounts are relatively new.

However it should be printed in the terms and conditions that should have been given to you.

But correct, they could not do anything about stopping the transaction, but maybe they should have told you that you could dispute the transaction.

Niaevity on their part, but also on your part I think.

Time for chargeback is gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is the contact number on the back of your card the same as your credit union? All my cards have a dedicated number on the back to ring and it's not the branch or general bank contact number.

Advertisement