Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot unsubscribe from a thread

Options
  • 07-02-2022 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I had subscribed to a thread (https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118596951#Comment_118596951). I had tried to unsubscribe numerous times without success, both on the mobile site and desktop site. Can you please advise how I can unsubscribe?

Thanks

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Same here! Thanks

Do you not just click on the yellow star 🌟 to the right of the thread title to make it go white and then you've unfollowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

That should be the case. But it's not working for me unfortunately...

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

If you have posted in the thread or were the original poster in the thread then your notifications may still be set up to notify you. You can check your notifications here: https://www.boards.ie/profile/preferences/ and make sure that you click on 'Save General Preferences' at the bottom if you make any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive the same problem as the OP going back a fair while now. Have tried the above solution but the problem is I do want notifications from other threads, I just dont want them from this one specific thread that I started years ago and no longer have interest in. The thread is still fairly active so I get around 50 notifications a week from it when people post in it. I've unsubbed from the thread a long time ago but the notifications keep coming, Ive also cleared my cache but that didnt work either. Are there any other solutions? To me it seems like a glitch as there are other threads I started but unsubbed to and I dont get notifications for them. The issue has only been happening since the site changeover last year.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately with the new platform, you can either have notifications on or off for different rypes of threads (bookmarks, threads you started, threads you posted in) but you cannot differentiate thread by thread.

yeah I see that in the preferences page. But had thought if I click the box thingy to unsubscribe from the thread then I would stop getting notifications but they keep coming. Its quite frustrating that I get up to 50 notifications a week on a thread I started in Bargain Alerts 6 years ago and this happens week after week. Like I let people know about the bargain at the time but I dont have any interest in the thread now as Im no longer a customer of the company. It actually makes me reluctant to start any new threads if Im going to end up getting stacks of notifications for new replies when I actually want to be unsubbed from it.

Would it be too much to ask that the thread is locked and a new one started by an Admin or similar? At least that would get it out of my notifications. I dont mean to be a pain but this has been a right pain for me over the last 9 months since the upgrade and there just doesnt seem to be a fix to it, Ive tried everything.

If its a thread you started I'd recommend removing all notifications for threads you start and keep the ones you want to follow in your Bookmarks instead.

You could PM the mods of the forum to ask about closing the thread and starting a new one too. You can find a list of all mods here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058234282/list-of-forum-mods-and-category-mods-posted-22-02-2022#latest

Thanks Niamh, will give option one a try before going to the nuclear option

Cool, hopefully that will work for you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement