Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job as a postman

• 23-02-2022 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Do you think a postman would be a good job to have?..What would the pay be like do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

It's a great job if you like to play golf in the afternoon after finishing your round early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Be a handy number if they would let you work from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Civil service. Steady good pay , pension. Go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Get to bang Mary o Reilly after 10 o clock tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Id say as a job it would deliver on a lot of fronts

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why don't you have a chat with your local postman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There’s been cases , and I personally know of one , where postmen with addiction issues do in fact work from home with a house full to the brim of undelivered post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Leaving aside the usual AH responses, I know 2 people that left other jobs and joined An Post.

Overall very happy, 1 left managers job in Dunnes. Got their weekends and bank holidays back. Working about 20 hours a week less for more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Two mates of mine are posties and they love it. Start around 6 each morning and finished by 2 at the latest every day, no stress, you are getting fresh air every day, decent salary and a good pension. There are few jobs that offer as much for what's required to get in. The only thing is that I believe the application periods are very long so if you're thinking of it you should apply sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

My landlord is a postie and he absolutely loves it, been doing it as long as I've known him. When I first moved over here, I applied for it, got to final stage of interviews and ended up being offered something else so what might have been! Every postie I know seems very happy with their lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Xander10

Why do you never see Postwomen deliver mail?

I'm surprised the WOKE haven't had the job title changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

listen, it's a lovely morning, the sun is shining, for once - lighten up, squire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

True, but the above benefits apply to a semi-state in much the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

It all depends where your route is - in a quiet rural area it'll be a handy number but in a built up urban area i reckon it could be stressy, remember all post has to be delivered on the day you can't leave anything aside for the next day - i know one guy who when he first started had to use his own car for the first three months as they didn't have a van available for him he got fed up with that and left.

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

My cousins wife is a postie and there is also another female one that regularly covers our route so they do exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rn

In so many ways, a fantastic job, especially at a certain stage in life where mortgage might be well under control of paid off. But bear in mind a couple of things. It's a sector that is in rapid enough decline. It's a basic enough job skill wise, so remuneration will always be moderate at best. In the drive for efficiency, it's more and more monitored so days of postie stopping for long chat or cup of tea are well behind us. It's about less posties passing more doors on longer routes.

Our current postie is a lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭yagan

I was chatting with our postwoman last week and she says it's the best job she's ever had. I think she said she was a teacher before but much preferred the hours and the exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ideal job I think when you're older. When you don't want/need a massive income and don't have kids depending on you. Up and out early, fresh air, exercise, get to see people. Home early to do whatever your want, and you can leave your work at work. Nobody will be ringing you to sort out an urgent letter problem.

It's never going to make you rich, but there's a lot more to life than working every hour you can to make money.

That was a problem for years. Then at the start of Covid someone quite correctly pointed out that there was an insurance issue and they're technically not insured if they drive their personal cars to deliver the post. And then magically, after years and years of asking, An Post managed to make hundreds of work vehicles appear.

• Advertisement

Good to hear. I asked because in all my years, I've never seen one in my area. and it should be a job that appeals equally to men and women.

I was only asking if there are postwomen out there? Since in 40 odd years, I have never seen one deliver mail to my address. Not sure why you thought the need to attack the poster.

My second comment was only an observation in times of over political correctness etc.

The post was meant in a light hearted way, not sure how you came to a different conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭yagan

Yeah, I reckon it's only a matter of time before there's gender equality in nailbars and building sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It all depends where your route is - in a quiet rural area it'll be a handy number but in a built up urban area i reckon it could be stressy

Not sure about that. I know a postie that recently got a transfer to a large town in the west. Newbies get the sprawling rural routes, then as you work your way up the pecking order, you get the more compact urban ones in town. Even though he has a few years under his belt in his old office, he's effectively starting out again because he transferred, so he's out in the sticks. He delivered to my house one day (urban estate) as he was covering for someone, and he was delighted with himself, because his day would be done much quicker. From talking to him, it seems the urban routes are the coveted ones.

According to this careers page on the An Post website, the starting salary for a Postal Operative (wot a postman is) is €558.70 a week, which works out at about €29,000 a year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dogs. How are you with dogs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭E30M3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but trainee's down my way still use their own cars for the first few weeks, so it might not be across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I wouldn't fancy it.

Out in sh1te weather. Overworked whenever there is a general election/local elections etc. Fcukin millions of leaflets that nobody wants. Pay isn't great.

Poor long term prospects. Eventually there will be a machine doing it.

• Advertisement

Early start, early finish, set amount of work each day, sounds lovely. :D

I'm really only now appreciating (without experiencing :P ) the benefits of a job where you have set hours, set work, get out and about with a routine and meeting people etc. I bumped into a lad I went to school with who started with An Post in 2020 and he's loving it, finishes up and collects the kids and down to his parents or the park or whatever for a few hours and still home before the wife. Similarly got talking to a lad doing social care and he absolutely loves it. Not the same structure but 3 12 hour shifts a week and I think starts at 33k, he reckoned he was on 45-50k with the optional overtime and shift allowances. Says he does a couple of hours a week of what he'd consider "work", most of it is going out to shops, watching films, eating and generally having the craic. Obviously won't be the same everywhere but in his case it sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I couldn't live on 30k now but if I was older I'd absolutely love it. Out early, meet loads of people and home early.

Couldn't be doing it myself.. them leaflets that have to be delivered every week, at least once (from Supervalu, electric providers, house improvement/insulation companies etc..) to every farkin house on t'route.. then there's the 100s of letters - alls ya gotta do is fk up once: put a letter in wrong mailbox; well ya can't just take it out and start again.. crap weather mightn't be so bad, as it would lessen the chances of having to shoot the breeze with all and sundry, whilst doing your rounds.. then there be the folks at the doors (if they catch ya) who just want to bend your ear and take ten minutes out of your day... a handful of those kernts and that's an hour lost to bullshíttin..

If I was doing it, preference would be a town (where I'm not from) route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Even though the money isn't great, I'd say it is a coveted job. A local, no BS, semi state job where you get outside and don't have some asshole boss hanging over you.

The sort of job that, in the past, may have been subject to interference in the recruitment process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Our local postman seems to have variable shift hours but is required some mornings to be in at 4am I think he told me, to sort mail & parcels in particular. Lot of driving in rural areas, in & out of the van, if you have any back issues then forget it. Otherwise take it handy and I'd say it'd be fine.

The title needs to be changed to a post person.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My boss wants to retire early and drive a train or even a public bus, its honestly his dream. Money wouldn't be a consideration, hes self employed and made his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭neenam

Maintaining physical and mental wellbeing all in one job more or less, though postie cyclists would probably be limited to cities and big towns.

Good luck to him getting a job as a train driver. If you haven't been earmarked for the job when you're 16, you've got zero chance of being recruited as a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Re using your own car, i did relief for a postman with a bike route about 7/8 years ago, i started using my own car and my manager flipped, it was a big no no. I had to contact my own insurer to get cover to allow me carry goods on a commercial basis etc and then had to submit all that proof to An Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Not for me unless it was a walking area as I find parking difficult and postmen have to find a parking space 100 times a shift. I think it is a symptom of autism, poor spatial depth perception. I often see people park big SUV trucks effortlessly, I can't comprehend how they do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Seems hard to get your foot through the door. More about who you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not the case anymore, there was an external recruitment campaign for drivers recently. Albeit massively oversubscribed and with loads of hoops to jump through before getting to interview stage.

If you're a postman and you're putting your foot though the door, you're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was going to post that, superb video , we have all gone a bit soft.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From the outside looking in…

Pros :

no managers / colleagues / clients in your ear for 90% of your day..

plenty of exercise

go at your own pace, if 50 deliveries left on one street and an hour ahead, you can just take it handy, stroll…

nothing likely to delay you unless traffic.

Cons :

in extreme weather, both heat and inclement… snow, ice, wind, rain it really can’t be any fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

It was a handy number 20-30 years ago but not anymore, with Ireland's increasing population it's more akin to courier work now - some guys down my way don't finish till teatime some days and Christmas is a nightmare!😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It certainly does look ideal if you're mainly just cycling/driving around delivering letters. It's a chance to be outside and not in a stuffy office all day long having to deal with all sorts of s*it. The worst problem for a postman I think is dogs, but it wouldn't be enough to scare me away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

I suppose it beats walking the streets!

• Advertisement
Advertisement