Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make complaint car dealer non Simi

• 20-02-2022 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Bought new car in 2017 including 3 years service from an Authorised Seat dealer

First complaint(2018) they made a mess of puncture repair and never told us it was temporary it was done bad. Went on road trip to UK and was told in local garage luckily tube did not blow needed to get new tyre. Complained to seat dealer eventually getting them to refund costs

Same dealer left in for service(2021) and fix mirror. Came back with electrics not working in other mirror and was told it was broke initially when we left it in. Correct but they were to fix it but made it worse. After arguing with them they eventually fixed it.

Complete chancers.

Now awful smell of diesel and gauge going down to fast. Mate had a look and seat fit on fuel filter incorrectly and luckily enough did not drive further as engine would be knackered. Cost us €90 to replace. Seat only put this in June 21 so not a year old.

So checked simi Ireland and dealer not a member so as to complain? Did ring them but service manager 'away' so emailed them looking for a refund

What should my next step be as 3 mistakes from the same dealer and don't want this brushed under the carpet.

Can I name and shame them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Simi are an industry representative group.

They DO NOT represent consumers. I don't know where people get this idea that Simi membership gives any additional protection. It doesn't.

Only real option is to complain to Seat as they don't want bad service representing them

SEAT Ireland

Block C, Liffey Valley Office Campus

Liffey Valley, Dublin 22

Ireland 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭zg3409

Is your car under warranty? Is there another seat dealer you can go to?

If out of warranty you can bring car to any back street garage. Within warranty you can also bring it elsewhere as long as they use genuine seat parts for servicing, although if you later claim warranty it can be hard to prove car was serviced as per manufacturers instructions.

What would you expect Simi or seat Ireland to do? Will they sack the mechanic or take the dealership away from the crowd running it? Personally I would complain in writing to seat Ireland and dealer with safety concerns etc. and assume nothing will happen and vote with your feet and go elsewhere. In future don't buy a seat if you cannot trust local dealer. All dealers have good and bad mechanics and mechanics move around a lot. The better mechanics tend to go out on their own as a non dealer as they make more money. Find an independent mechanic you trust if you drive older cars out of warranty.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Your complaint is that something done on the car eight months ago has broken? Really? It possibly could have been a faulty clip or something else bit as it was fine for eight months, your allegation is unlikely to be taken too seriously.

The other issues are strange and I'd wonder if there's more to them. You don't have tubes in your tyres for a start. The electrics issue does seem strange and I'd be curious to hear what was done and what went wrong.

Anyhow, SIMI are a lobby group who work to further the interests of the motor trade and are not really concerned with you as a consumer.

I'd say just find a different garage to get future work done in as I assume any warranty is long past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Surprised with the replies My issue is that it should not happen.

The first issue was part of the extra paid service we got as part of the purchase. Tube or whatever it was the work done on it was dangerous

The second and third were part of the same service.We only went there as we needed wing mirrors repaired and replaced. Mirror was damaged and when I got it back it turned in completely and mechanic rather saying it was there mistake I had to argue with them. Eventually saying that I want to take it further they relinquished.

The fuel filter should last longer than 8 months and was installed wrong, an independent mechanic told me this. He's just surprised it lasted that long

We have gone to another seat dealer and no issues since this. Also mechanic I have been using we now use and he was the one that replaced filter.

I just want to make the point as I don't expect much its just shoddiness from garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, if you're unhappy with the service provided by an official dealer, you complain to the local distributor. Forget about SIMI.

• Advertisement

See Garage response

[Quote]

We do offer a guarantee on all of our work and when their has been a mistake, we always strive to rectify an issue ASAP.

On previous occasions, where you had reported an issue, myself and another Service Manager (Alan) have contacted you and resolved these amicably by covering costs.

Once in regards to a puncture repair, a new tyre cost was covered and once in regards to a mirror, a new mirror was covered.

In regards to this situation, I cannot offer any reimbursement due to the fact that we were not given the opportunity to inspect it ourselves. 

I am sure you can appreciate our position on this particular issue. 

[/endquote]

They cannot refund as they were not give the opportunity to inspect it ourselves but the issue is that I had to replace it as soon as possible as it was leaking Diesel

We have made our point and although they did resolve previous issues we had to push them for these previous costs

Going to send a response to them to reiterate our point and their bad workmanship and expect that to go into their PFO bin but worse Service Team Ever

Post edited by Irish Gunner on

I see nothing unreasonable in their response. Why would they cover the cost of an issue that they were not allowed see?

I can't help thinking that you have unrealistic expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If the seal was fitted incorrectly on that fuel filter it would have leaked a lot quicker than 8 months. It sounds like a fault with the filter not with the fitting in my opinion.

And the dealer is 100% dead right not to take your word that the repair was needed, or even done at all. Frankly they would be mugs to do so in this nation of chancers.

And to be honest, if I had a penny for every time an independent garage blamed a dealer for something I would be a rich man. How exactly was the fuel loss going to knacker your engine, did he explain that one?

They have responded to your complaint, if I was in their shoes your next letter would most certainly be going in the PFO drawer and I very much doubt they are interested in your future business. As such my advice is to put this into perspective and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

You didn't give them an opportunity to check, but expect reimbursement?

Seriously?

Going by their response which you have not disagreed with, it seems that they looked after you quite well.

The problem is that they have not treated us well and we had to seriously argue with them to get what they said they did They where no angels

I did not give them an opportunity to check as it was leaking badly so could not leave it any longer as who knows what would have happened? Im no mechanic but was not going to take that risk

We always get our car serviced with a SEAT dealer in the hopes that the standards were high and the knowledge was specific to a SEAT car. Although we have had no such issues with another SEAT dealer who serviced our car in the past.

At this stage its more of making our Point and the mechanic that I have been using for years and is not your regular ' independent garage' so i trust him more and should have gone to him first but due to service agreement we had we went with SEAT

Not going to take it any further other than making point to Seat head office as we dont want another consumer to experience the same

• Advertisement

Not going to take it any further other than making point to Seat head office as we dont want another consumer to experience the same

Honestly, they will look at this in the same way as most on here and see you as the main issue!

Advertisement