Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It doesn't reflect reality.

EU market aggregate manufacturing indices showed a 7% increase in costs for H1 2021 alone, the last HY for which figures are complete. That may not have shaken through to the buyers market of big stuff yet, but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

What's unique about them that requires a different skillset out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Neither going to agree or disagree with you here. Fact is the CPI is recognised internationally as a baseline to monitor inflation across a range of items in the household, determining the spending power of a sum of money. When measured against purely industrial items, it is not as reflective, as material costs fluctuate wildly for a multitude of reasons.

Nevertheless in 1984 we spent IR£25m for a helicopter capable OPV, at the time it was five times more than its non heli capable sister ships(and double what it had been estimated to cost). By 2014 we were paying about €72m for a similar sized ship. During that time the change in the buying power of a sum of money suggests that IR£25m in Jan 84 would be worth €73.5m today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aluminium and zinc are still less than $4,000 a tonne so won't affect those prices that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ancientmariner

It is a pity that they are already up for sale on NAUTICEXPO by some Scandinavian or Finnish Sea Craft vendors. The Dept. of Defence should have been offered first refusal and a months trial run. If we go from Helga, to CLIONA, to Grainne, to Deirdre, to ORLA, to Roisin, To JAMES JOYCE, with SETANTA and FERDIA thrown in, how hard can it be for a Fifty Tonne 6 crewed Cutter that can do 25 knots.

If they are not fit then they should not be for sale and touted as usable for Law Enforcement and Prevention of ARMS EXPLOSIVES and DRUG smuggling.

• Advertisement

Ideal inshore boats. Can see HMRC/Borders snapping them up to carry out their unpopular migrant patrol, given how the RN have expressly refused to do so.

NS have been observing them since they were first introduced. They are saying the boats are unsuitable for use by the NS. That's the end of the discussion in my book.

AnGS operate two launches as river patrol boats. I wonder given the likely increase in Brexit linked smuggling, would there be any case for handing over the RCCs to them as an increase in capability? They wouldn't be excessively large for any navigable stretch of river, especially the likes of the Shannon, Lee and Barrow & Suir, where there are extensive ports and docks well upstream.

Only if AGS want them. AGS don't really do second hand kit. Never have. Even the few times seized criminals vehicles have been re-used, they have been more trouble than they are worth.

With the operation of craft second-hand or otherwise I don't think the GS are any cleverer than the naval service. I met the Garda patrol boat on the inner lakes on the Shannon last year, a decent craft. As regards the revenue cutters the Shannon has a maximum draft under normal river heights of 1.35m and a range of variable air drafts. Some tributaries are down to 1.2m draft and 3m air draft on fixed bridges.

Both cutters have at least 1.6m below the waterline. They are at least 4m from the waterline to the top of the Secondary helm/flying Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I noticed a recent post by respected poster Dohville which mentioned that the Becket class ships were designed to accomodate a towed sonar array and a pukka radar mast. Now that LE Becket is coming up for it's quarter life major overhaul, would it not make sense to carry out this work, and as the other 3 ships are due quarter life overhaul roughly annually afterwards to do them as well? That way we can build up on the assets we already have while awaiting the government to come up with this "wall of money" which is supposed to be coming down the track for the DF. While they are it it I dont' see any reason why they should not have a few other modest upgrades such as a 16 cell missile battery apiece. With these upgrades the ships would pass muster as secondary "ships of the line" to support our new frigates when they are added to the fleet.

We might as well start by building on the capabilities we already have as this could be done out of the existing DF budget.

By the way....I'm not holding me breath regarding the frigates/corvettes happening any time soon given Pascal Donoghues statement yesterday about the amount of government borrowing arising from fighting Covid.

As regards the departing customs Cutter another possible user would be the NMCI for putting young seamen and navigators through reality sessions as well as the simulators.

If our current ships are "Fitted for" and can take specific operations containers or deck mounted missile canisters/containers by all means carry out up- dates asap. The real catalyst is being part of a bigger organisation and slot into a common defence at least within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

They are not fitted for, nor designed for missiles modules, they lack deck clearance, depth in the hull and all the data connections for such capability. They are OPV's not Corvette's or baby Frigates.

Indeed.

They can fire flares. And maybe deploy a drone. From Argos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't see why bolt-on types can't physically work. Look at the Halifax configuration, for example. No deck penetration, no requirement for 'burn-proofing' because of the missile exhaust direction, and they don't take up that much acreage. A four-cell ESSM launcher is only 2/5 the width of the 8-call shown here. Wiring is just wiring, new computer systems get installed into ships all the time.

Now, whether or not it is worth adding those sorts of things instead of something like a RIM-116 pedestal launcher, or if the ship can take the additional top-side weight is another matter entirely.

Good comment Manic.

The hulls aren't designed for it, they don't have the munitions storage for anything bigger than a 76mm shell and even then it doesn't have the fire control and CIC systems to use such missiles responsibly.

It's a non-starter, if you need something to perform like a multi-purpose frigate then you buy a multi-purpose frigate. Or two.

Remind me what happens when you make an APC look like a tank?

Same applies to making a ship designed for EEZ patrol look like a frigate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you look at the series of plug-ons which have been added to APCs/IFVs and tanks, varying from active/passive detection systems to additional munitions types, offensive weapons and even turrets, you'll see that the example may not be quite what you are intending. In the Irish context, the MOWAG is an excellent example. Designed as an APC, but plug on the right turret, you get a recon vehicle, fire support vehicle, tank destroyer...

I'm not suggesting turning the things into major combatants, and no, Larbre, I'm not suggesting anything which requires a single round be stored outside of the external launcher, but at least some modicum of a modern defense ability much as Knox FFs received a bolt-on CIWS or the Asheville PGs got Standard anti-ship missiles long after they were designed. I agree, if you want a surface combatant, buy a surface combatant, but unless there is a serious increase in the defense budget which I'm mistaken in not expecting, I don't see the Naval Service getting any in the next decade or two and the 76mm up front will only go so far in the modern environment.

• Advertisement

Quick thought, I’m reminded of that German frigate a few years back that had a misfire of an SM2 on launch, it came through it relatively fine, are the P60s decks rated for such an event if it happened? While I take your point about the Halifax launches, they were designed for such and given the harpoons are adjacent I would presume some level of deck strengthening was present, off the top of my head really only the area where the 20mm are mounted or aft could even have the space and survive the sea state, are either position close to ideal?

The P60s would need the upgraded radar, any CMS systems, the hardware and even then you are left with a ship that simply won’t survive any hit in a hostile environment and really have no place being there… It’s a kin to the permanent argument that we should just by a trainer so we have something more than the PC9s even when they have limited capabilities.

If we wanted upgrades to our military, the French on past actions would most likely lend us the money to buy the shite off them as they’ve done to other nations, it would make more sense than trying to make the cheapest Western Europe OPV (by far) something she isn’t.

Only one ship that could take such a conversion, and it's too late for her now, is L.E. Eithne. Ancientmariner & co designed an excellent ship that could be upgraded, should the need arise, and had a CIC also, the only ship in the Irish fleet that has had one. Leave your bridge deck for navigating the ship, do everything else, in a citadel, not far away, but not distracted by the affairs of navigation either.

The P50s and the P60s have a spot for 1 or 3 TEU, with power supplied. There is no facility to control anything on these spots from the bridge.

Most modular weapons fits are wired to plug n play to an appropriate controller in the CIC.

Going back to the original analogy, you have given the APC an ATGW so it can act as a tank killer. However, it must be operated by a guy in the back without a crew headset.

And only with the doors and hatches open, for safety.

I'm no naval architect...but I'm sure some upgrading is possible. Look at the history of HMS Belfast and how that was modified during its long years of service. I'm certain that the experienced engineers at Babcocks had the nous to build in some upgrade possibilities. Worth having a look at IMO. We could be waitin a while for them Absalons or Meko 200's. And what about the WW2 Vosper MTB'S? They had more firepower in a tiny hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The existing fleet does fisheries protection and other constabulary duties perfectly well, manning being the issue.

Everything to do with ASW, ASuW and AAW will be expensive, it doesn't make sense to scrimp on the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Didn't a heap of hilux's with some AT guns destroy more then their worth of Russian bmp is an African war. Sorry this total off the top of head. Just like the lads above are saying sometimes weapons on a vehicle they are not designed for can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

One word. Laserdeathrays. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Think the Americans have given up on railguns for the navy at the moment. But if you have a plans throw them out

Like most people have implied we are not talking about through deck missile installations. It would be an on deck mount with relevant target acquisition through the ship's system or even on it's own mount. In such a system all loads would be on the mounts ready to go with no reloads

• Advertisement

I **** give up, fine let’s lash a few depth charge racks on its arse and pretend it can hunt submarines as well, whatever floats your boat and let’s you play pretend that they are warships. Pity the poor crew if anyone ever takes up the challenge. Maybe we should have the MOWAGs replaced with HILUX as well, be fecking cheaper.

Advertisement