Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Breath of the wild is t perfect but it's better than any other open world game out then or at the moment and is a great foundation to build upon. Well deserving of the praise.

If you want to point the finger at a Zelda game then look at skyward sword. Stellar reviews but it was a stale overlong and bloated game.

GTA 4 and red dead 2 are too pretty ropey to just plain bad games that got amazing reviews that baffle me.

I don't think botw is the best open world game ever. It's a fine game. But I wouldn't rank it as the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How the F*ck has this thread once again pivoted back to BOTW??

Hahaha. Ok, another example is probably The Last of Us 2. Perfect metacritic score, far from perfect game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

its the yardstick for open world games, Personally I would have the witcher as that yardstick as its the one majority have followed since its release but hopefully Elden Ring can alter that considering the witcher is almost 7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I dunno. I would say the majority of people who review games don't really consider a possible backlash when they're writing a review, unless they're deliberately trying to cause one maybe.

When there is a backlash, the majority people engaged in that backlash are trash, so it's best to ignore them completely. I think most game reviewers do to be honest.

In relation to your point on zelda/mario games. They're usually really good games and when they're not, or just average, I feel there has been plenty of reviews saying so. Skyward sword comes to mind. It's a decent game, dungeons are good but there is plenty of flaws and I remember seeing some reviews picking up on that. I feel like the 'new super mario bros' game on the wii u got a pretty average reaction too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Which is weird because I found new super Mario bros U to be a fantastic game. The aesthetic of those games is awful but the Wii and wiiu games are god awful.

Now the DS Mario game is the most uninspired platformer Nintendo have ever made and that reviewed really well despite it. There's been a change in opinion on it but it's just so lame and unadventurous. Even crash bandicoot 2 and 3 are better.

I think New Super Mario Bros U is decent. It's a good tough challenge, but its not exactly doing anything new compared to the previous wii game.

I think we all know the true best platformer on the Wii U was Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze though! 😉

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

GTA IV. Didn't you enjoy getting drunk with Packie, bowling with Brucie and eating with Roman while discussing their nephew Belly Bellic?

Horizon is getting review bombed on Metacritic. Loads of zeroes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looking like incels gonna incel.

Apparently aloy has a beard and it has 'woke idelogy'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always ignore user reviews on aggregation sites. Always.

That's not to say the current professional criticism model doesn't have its own problems. But still: always ignore user reviews on aggregation sites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love how these idiots outed themselves as virgins or shut ins by how obviously they have never seen a real woman's face up close. Or maybe it's an indictment of our collective standards of beauty that a little peach fuzz is deemed "a beard"

Seems the Sony fanboys are up in arms that elden ring scored better than horizon on metacritic and a lot of reviewers couldn't finish the game. That's some next level salt right there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I checked some of the user reviews and none of the ones I seen mention this. Most of the complaints seem to be bugs, performance issues, crashing, boring gameplay, overly long cut scenes. A lot are saying it isn't much different than the first game. Some saying the story and characters are rubbish. Even the complaints about the character and story, I haven't seen anything that would suggest those complaints are because she has a beard or it is too woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There are some that mention it (quotes from just one page of the reviews below), but even then most of the complaints they're making regarding bugs and performance, or writing, don't make the game a zero.

Alloy is visually disgusting and anoying as a characater.

also, aloy is annoying and ugly, why didn't they bother to make her more beautfiul and attractive, not some karen soccer mom

The main problem is the character designs. Almost everybody looks bland or distractingly unattractive. I know this is a problem for the last decade in general with Western games going for "realism", translation: purposely ugly characters, and Forbidden West is another in a seemingly endless parade of these games

A game which is messed up by this filthy woke ideology.

Did you know that women have actually more facial hair than men. They just ar less visible. True fact.

Every character looks like if a random person from the street was performing at a circus. Even Aloy looks less sexy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I just sorted by score and started looking at the 0 scores to see what people were complaining about. I agree all the complaints don't make it deserve a 0 but this happens with every game. Cyberpunk got review bombed with 0 scores because of its bugs. This is just what happens. I don't agree with it but it happens. I was just pointing out the reason for the review bombing and how most of the 0 score reviews didn't mention wokeness or her beard. I just hope it gets fixed and released for PC relatively soon. I enjoyed the first one so I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully Sony don't keep us waiting years like the first game.

ever notice that usually when people use the word 'woke' in their arguments, their 'arguments' are usually dumb AF......

funny that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It was the same thing with the Last of Us part 2 when it got review bombed on it's first day - about ten percent of the zero reviews actually came out and gave out about it being woke but you could take a fair auld stab and say that 90% of those zero scores were to do with taking a pop at the liberals and the gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well I think Cyberpunk was probably more deserving of the 0's regardless. I've about 20-25 hours in Horizon so far and while there have been a few visual bugs here and there, nothing remotely comparable to Cyberpunk or nothing that bad anyway. My only issue so far was getting stuck in the scenery once while swimming.

I just think a lot of the 0 scores may be down to things like the complaints about wokeness etc, even if people don't say that in their review, or at the very least like most 0 scores, are down to people with an agenda against the game rather than genuine criticisms. I don't think I've ever played a game I'd score as 0, and I've played Devil May Cry 2.

But as others have said above, that's the issue with User scores on sites like that. They're far too susceptible to manipulation in both the positive and the negative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having played a dozen or so hours of Forbidden West, it’s definitely a significantly better game than Cyberpunk ever has been.

The story is rubbish though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Super Luigi U does deserve some love for taking the nothing that was NSMBU and whipping up what was Nintendo’s best first-party developed 2D platformer of the last decade.

Has anybody played... Tembo the Badass Elephant... yet? Absolutely love this game. 😅

https://youtu.be/p9yNGkIS7Vs

I have to Google the definition of "woke" everytime.

Nope but very interested in doing so. It was a bit buggy at launch so was waiting for some fixes and then got distracted. Made by the pokemon team as well. They always do really interesting games when not tied down to pokemon

• Advertisement

Not sure about Switch but it's only €13 on Playstation and Xbox. The game is a bit of goofy fun more than anything else.

Advertisement