Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 23rd/24th 2022: Snow and Wind Warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Heavy rain has started in Galway. Hoping it turns white later.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Met office have ammedend their warning. They've dropped the wind warning but added a lightning warning. Don't recall seeing that before.

Frequent heavy snow showers are expected, along with very gusty winds and a chance of frequent lightning affecting some places.

Snow and lightning warning from 17.00 today until 20.00 Friday. Slight reduction from up to 10cm on low levels to 7cm for low levels. Wind gusts of up to 45 to 55mph possible 65mph on coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Surface pressure charts show a trough to the west of Ireland before midnight. Could bring some good snow amounts for places on Thursday morning. Plenty of lightning overnight also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes and that chart is more poised for the South of country!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems like perfect timing alright. I will stick with my prediction of 3- 5cm for lower levels in favoured spots by first thing tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland.

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Blustery squally showers of hail, sleet and snow with icy stretches on untreated surfaces will lead to hazardous driving conditions on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Some thunder and lightning expected too.

Valid: 22:00 Wednesday 23/02/2022 to 12:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Issued: 14:24 Wednesday 23/02/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temps falling in the northwest as cold front begins to clear. It's a little slower than normal due to angle of the clearance and the southwesterly motion ahead of it which is slowing progression but a much sharper and quicker transition through the afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ya a lot of beefy showers to come though what form they take is open to question. Could be very heavy showers in many areas but miss other areas. Hail might be a problem driving and blizzard like showers in hilly areas.

Current wintry mix of rain and sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

SNOW/ICE warning is countrywide now which usually translates into we havent a clue really so shlap it across the country.be grand.

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Ireland.

Blustery squally showers of hail, sleet and snow with icy stretches on untreated surfaces will lead to hazardous driving conditions on Wednesday night and Thursday morning. Some thunder and lightning expected too.

Valid: 22:00 Wednesday 23/02/2022 to 12:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Issued: 14:24 Wednesday 23/02/2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Clare, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo

Very strong and gusty west to northwest winds.

Valid: 08:00 Thursday 24/02/2022 to 18:00 Thursday 24/02/2022

Issued: 12:26 Wednesday 23/02/2022

I think most of the country could do well from that. 12 midday Thursday Chart attached

The Met Éireann HARMONIE model rainfall forecast favours the northwest and west of the country with some showers also drifting inland Thursday morning backed by a strong westerly wind.

The northwest will do rather good out of this especially Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Fermanagh which will see good accumulations of up to 5cm to 10cm inland especially if that trough cross that is predicted. more sleety with hail across coastal areas. Some places away from the northwest may see a dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UKMO warning for Belfast Aldergrove.

Snow

Issued at:  Wed 23 Feb 2022 - 13:34 UTC

Valid from:  Wed 23 Feb 2022 - 21:00 UTC

Valid to:  Thu 24 Feb 2022 - 09:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD.

SLIGHT/MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 2 TO 4 CM. SNOW TYPE WET/DRY.

VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 800M.

WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING.

The more widespread beefier showers look likely much later overnight probably post 5 am. I'll set my alarm clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Anyone hazard a guess if it'll be bad on the east coast?

I live on elevated ground anyway so am expecting some snowfall (north Wexford), but also have a dental appointment in Dublin late-morning that I wouldn't be too disappointed to cancel due to the snow.

Knock 2.7c @ 5pm, DP 2c

DP of -4.2 at Belmullet

Snow level falling in the northwest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unlikely to be anything for the east coast other than maybe a frost or some snizzle flakes. By the time showers get going again in the morning the milder air will turn everything back to rain anyway.

Actually the wind directions and strength is in our favour this time particularly if it's through Galway Bay as seems likely, less land track. It will be much later in the night before heavier showers arrive though to cross the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I never expect anything along the Eastern Coastal fringes unless the forecast mentions 'Easterly' somewhere in it unless one lives up the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains. Can't complain really though. What the Wicklow Mountains giveth to the Likes of Bray it also taketh away. In other words, The micro-climate Bray enjoys wrapped in the sheltering embrace of the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains, that often soak up the worst of the SW'erly winds and rains, divert/dissolve the clouds, add a few degrees to temps due to the leeward Fohn Effect etc. Well it more often than not 'Taketh Away' any chance of Bray/Wicklow lowlands getting much of anything from Snow Showers coming from a Westerly direction.

• Advertisement

Dew point down to -7 now in Belmullet. I wonder is this a glitch

Where is Nacho Dip and Mountainy Boy?, we need on the ground reporting 🙂

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

A bit of something coming down at Knock (N17)

Well it was a minute ago, should have screen grabbed it...

Snow level dropping fast now, in the midlands too.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I was over near Westport today and the showers certainly started to carry a more wintry element to them in the mid to late afternoon. By 5pm, I could see that the Sheaffry Hills in the distance were turning white with snow showers falling on them while the summit of Croagh Patrick had a much lighter dusting around the cone.

Will be keeping an eye on proceedings here near Castlebar later on in the night.

A very slight dusting on the summit of the Reek around 5pm today as the showers turned increasingly wintry.

Below, a much snowier Nephin last Saturday morning after an overnight top up of fresh snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think it's correct and is in line with what the models had for the northwest this afternoon. It's back up to -1.3 C now at 7 pm.

Below are the hourly dewpoint and wet-bulb temperatures, including handy readings from a ship sailing east way out in the Atlantic. It gives a good indication of what's to come upstream.

UKMO warning for Derry Eglinton airport.

Snow

Issued at:  Wed 23 Feb 2022 - 17:35 UTC

Valid from:  Thu 24 Feb 2022 - 00:00 UTC

Valid to:  Thu 24 Feb 2022 - 06:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT/MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 3-6CM. SNOW TYPE WET.

VISIBILITY /IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 400M.

WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what do you reckon 1982 all over again???😍

The really heavy showers off the coast will lose intensity as they hit us as this happened last year and looked like a snow out but by morning just a few bits of hail on car. Also by tomorrow morning milder air will have pushed in before it gets cooler and windier later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Light rain has turned to light sleet now in Donegal Town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I should have known that picture of me would surface eventually. haha. No snow to report yet.

Advertisement