Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

12 positions?! You lunatic !! :-) LOL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

simply a case of drilling more holes in the box aluminum arm supporting the panel rails

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I've hung 14ft gates with half that hole! Only time they move is when some eegjit hits them with a tractor/trailer.. yours ain't going anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..except mine are 3.6m high...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah, I think you've got it covered slave. Still wind isn't to be trifled with....

Massive wind turbine crashes to ground with horrifying thud amid ferocious gales - Mirror Online

And those turbines have "one job to do"....deal with wind :-)

I think though that an adjustable mount system is more benefit than trouble - so kudos there. Also, depending on how easy you can change the angle, and if i guess correctly how your doing it (with some kind of unmovable peg through the holes?) then it should be easy enough to "feather" the array when you know there's some inclement weather coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭puntypower

What's the biggest install you can do on a single phase domestic home?

FORM NC6. For connections at LV with an installed generator inverter capacity up to 25A (~6kVA) for single phase connections and 16A (~11kVA) for three phase connections. ESB Networks DAC requires the information requested on this notification form to manage. your electricity supply connection.

Is it restricted to 25A? Or 6kva? If I got an inverter under 25A and over 6kva would that be ok?

Not sure of your use of "amps" and "kva" in this context - but the actual limit they specify is 6Kw export limit for single phase and 11Kw for 3 phase. At a nominal 230v, that 6Kw equates to 26.08A, but really it's the 6kw that they care about - unless I misunderstand the regs and I should say I'm not a spark here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I agree with @bullit_dodger's view. I would also advise you check out the new mini-generation scheme (NC7) which allows larger single phase system. I don't think any of us have connections under that scheme though.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/new-connections/generator-connections-group/mini-generation

If I get an inverter that's 6kw but max output if 6.6 is that within the guidelines for ESB?

Not sure I understand the question. Are you saying if you purchase a 6kw inverter and that incorrectly gives out 6.6Kw - well technically it wouldn't be within regs. I'd also be pretty surprised if an inverter was to exceed the rated max load by 10%.

Would you cause a major problem? Probably not, as your street should have the spare capacity...... but just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should do something if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

https://www.manualslib.com/products/Deye-Sun-6k-G-11047270.html

Your kind of jumping around a bit with various units, highlighting bits in the screen shot which aren't relevant - but I'll try to explain

So the bit that you highlighted in the technical data sheet, is actually "Input power". In reality this can be much higher than the inverters rating of 6Kw. You can think of it as the power coming out of the panels, like you have 10Kw of panels on the roof but the Inverter is rated for 6Kw. So even though you have more "power" available on the roof, the inverter will only "suck down" up to it's rated amount. It says 7.8 Kw on that data sheet, but in reality you could have more. That said, it's generally not a good idea to go against spec sheets - so while it would probably be ok, you don't want to be a "test pilot".

The bit that I think you meant to highlight was the "Output side" of Max Active power of 6.6kw. Active power is different than "Rated power" and the ratio of one to another is called the power factor. The 6Kw figure that you hear of when you have a "6Kw inverter" is "Rated Output power".

So what's active power then? Well youtube can explain it better than I can (with less typing for me)

ACTUAL POWER VS RATED POWER - YouTube

Do you need to know? Probably not. Basically all the inverters are pretty good at not exceeding their rating.

Thanks for that. If 'someone' was to put in a system that was 6kw and get the nc6 in to be compliant, is there anything stopping that person upgrading the system to let's say a 10kw system in the future or is there a technical problem with going over 6kw on a single phase connection?

The Nc6 is to protect the line workers more than anything. You can apply for a NC7 for a higher output. A fee is applied to that.

The NC6 form isn't really to protect workers, although it does help do partly that. So the NC6 form is to give ESB networks some indication of the level of "upwards" current which could be coming out of the estate/area you live in.

Think of it this way, ESB networks (generally) have current flowing one way from the generating power stations to your TV/Oven/xBox etc. Now we have people coming along and pushing higher voltage currents in the opposite direction from their solar installations. This wasn't really envisioned much in the 1960/70/80's when a lot of the infrastructure in place today was installed. Indeed places like California who have abundancy of Solar have MASSIVE problems with "upwards current" from solar installations.

With all those NC6/NC7 forms, ESB networks gain an indication of how much current to expect flowing upwards, and can plan accordingly to upgrade/replace step down transformers to handle the load in the "wrong" way.

To answer your question though Puntypower, no there nothing "stopping" someone from doing what you suggest i.e. putting in an NC6 form being compliant and then upgrading the line.

Two issues though...

1. There is (as far as I know) no single phase inverters which knock out 10Kw, so you'd be looking at a 3 phase inverter, which shouldn't be an issue then as you can do 11Kw on 3 phase.
    2. If someone could get your hands on a single phase 10Kw, and decided to install it, they'd be and I choose my words carefully :-) a tosser. The problem isn't 1 single installation, it's if everyone started doing this you could do some sever damage to the grid, which is core pillar of society. Everything runs on it, so to damage your local subnet ..... yeah, you'd be a muppet.

That's fair enough thanks for the answer, that's why I put my questions in the solar for dummies section as I'm still learning and hope to join the rest soon

Your welcome - can't learn without asking questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭prosaic

I have an east/west roof and wondering if there's any gain if panels were tilted 10 degrees towards south? Of course one panel would partially shade another in winter. There's also a lower lean-to roof on the west. Would that work well given it's shaded upto near mid day?

• Advertisement

Well to get 10kw you could have 2 5kw inverters..

But yeah it's all about grid capacity, that's why some people are already getting grid voltage issues on really sunny days and exporting a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You could set up a 10kW system as long as you limit the export to 6kW. So two 5kW inverters and the second one set to not export when its grid CT sees the limit being reached.

From a purely scientific viewpoint, yes if you tilted them 10 degrees south you would see a small bump in generation performance. Bu in reality, as exactly as you say, one panel would start to shade the one behind it, so any benefits you get could be more than eroded by shading. You'd also have a more complex roof mounting, and with panels no longer parallel to the tiles on the roof....there is a danger for the panels to catch the wind and become a "sail" in a strong wind (think any one of the recent storms).

No, keeping it as simple as possible is the way to go here. I have a East/West split myself, and sure.....it's not great in the depths of winter, but really that's just Nov, Dec & Jan. Once Feb rocks in, they start to produce strong again.

With the standard that ESB are talking about here does this mean the solis inverter does not comply with the standard because it's not mentioned on their specs?

The 6kw 5g solis hybrid inverter is very common and widely installed with grant and ESB networks approval.

Don't worry build will be along with a much more detailed explanation in a moment 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Has a standard inverter any advantage over micro inverters.

For a ground system they would seem an easier option .

I've a 30m run from the site to the house. There's a shed covering 20m of that distance which I could clip a cable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

OK this might come across as a stupid question,

How does the solor panals Heat the hot water using an eddi water diverter?

Do I need a special immersion for this?

What type of hot water cylinder do I need? Will a copper one be OK as its not a pressurised system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Not a stupid question at all no such thing here on the forum we are all learning. The eddi is connected to a CT clamp (basically a sensor to detect current flow) than can detect excess export to the grid. It can then grab this power and use it to divert it to your existing immersion to heat the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

OK thanks

So if I don't want the immersion to work can I divert it to the ev instead. Also will my existing copper water tank be suitable for the solor panal system

• Advertisement

Advertisement