Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

I hope I live long enough to see the ins and outs from this period coming out in public. The States have handled information really well. The amount they've released is likely unprecedented and I don't think they're stupid enough to

a) Release everything

b) Release anything that would badly harm their abilities going forward. So one has to assume they have multiple sources high up in the Russian structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭amacca

I sort of read that as Putin sees or thinks he sees this as a soft underbelly.....in that its another factor that emboldens him to attack.....potential resistance isn't unified and will be hamstrung....

The fact Ukraine isn't in Nato is another etc

Maybe in his head he thinks he's playing chess and people getting worked up about preferred pronouns is another sign his adversaries dont have their eye on the ball and can be exploited .....you know he's definitely afraid his country starts to go that way as that would spell the end for him.

I watched that parliamentary meeting and thought it was chilling the way he dealt with the guy who wasn't 100% in favour of his move on Ukraine "you think we should negotiate" "speak plainly sergey" "say what you mean".....while the other guy bumbled and stumbled

I'd be as worried as a Ukrainian in Russia if I was in his shoes ....unless it was a set up and he was taking one for the team.......it didn't look like that though, it looked like a fly had just stumbled into a web and spotted a giant spider sitting behind a flag adorned desk looking sideways at him from under his eyebrows deciding when to have him for dinner.

I wonder if Putin is thinking fully rationally after seeing that though or how long this has been planned...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes. I wonder what a psychiatrist would make of his mindset presently if he managed to have a few sessions with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Gatling made the very valid point that each and every member of the Duma was held at gunpoint, in one form or another, either himself, or family members. That was no freedom of choice session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭amacca

Oh I have no doubt about that

And as a public display of power it was proably quite effective internally.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I see Martyn Turner has a good take on the current situation.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/martyn-turner

He depicts Putin as Joe Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not an unreasonable comparison.

Putin is a Russian leader who simply wants to take over a country by force and bloodshed, a la Stalin he’s a threat to all around him… has brazenly stated and acted like a violent megalomaniac psycho who won’t be reasonably engaged with, he isn’t all there, this is a nutjob on Stalin, Hitler terms, that grim smile ughhh….

Putin has backed himself into a corner which he can’t be seen to back down from….

I’ve a feeling that the west might need to get the Russians before the Russians attack the west.

the most easterly coast of Russia is only a few kilometres from the US, around 7 I think across the Bering strait.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Oh god not this again - only the most uninformed would even suggest some kind of invasion from the East. From the tip of Alaska to Moscow is ~6000km, through some of the most inhospitable terrain. Nearly all Russias population is concentrated on the western side of the country toward Europe. Not to mention the logistics of getting US mlitary to Alaska in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m not talking about a land invasion so you might want to quit misinforming yourself.

An ICBM could reach the US from eastern Russia in 30 minutes…

not everything is about Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Apologies, it isnt the first time that people have mentioned the eastern border - previously its been mentioned naively as some kind of gotcha as if the US could easily sneak up on them that way.

Do the Russians have any missile capability that far east? I presume if so the US would be prepared for it.

US nuclear subs can carry tens of nuclear capable missiles and can likely get much closer to Russian territory than a 30min flight time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Putin is no Stalin.

Stalin was always realistic about his limitations. Its how he maintained a strong Soviet Union under his control and through major conflicts for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Yeah I'm not sure why you'd leap straight from where we are to Armageddon.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I never feel like all out nuclear war is ever likely, unless it occurs by accident. The people in power crave power above all else. And I can't imagine they dream of ruling over a pile of ashes. It's in their own selfish interests not to launch nukes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Russian apparently bots wholesale reporting Open Source Intelligence accounts on Twitter observing Russian troop movements. Twitter suspending them swiftly before reinstating them after investigation. Questions to answer from Twitter about how this is handled.

Mad what 21st-century warfare has become. The frontline is everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Stalin's armies killed alot of Nazis alright. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm not so sure about that. Young people are generally more progressive, it's older people who seem to have fallen into believing there is some sort of woke culture war threatening the fabric of reality. I'm not saying there aren't bitter young people, but there does seem to be an age divide. You see the same divide in the Brexit vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Say what you like about Stalin, but he didn't discriminate. He killed everyone equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That was one piss weak small list of relatively insignificant individuals and banks alright, giving plenty of time for people to get their affairs in order.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

Stalin was hoodwinked by Hitler and Ribbentropp into the non aggression pact with Germany. When his intelligence agents reported back to to him that the Germans were preparing to attack Russia he refused to believe them, in fact he refused to believe it was happening even as the attack was beginning. Those intelligence agents and generals that tried to warn him were sent to Siberia or killed. He only started to listen to reason and follow military advice when the Germans were outside Moscow.

That charade on Monday with Putin bullying members of the security council into agreeing to his opinion was classic Stalin, he seems to have become consumed with megalomania , getting fatter and out of touch with that ludicrous long table schtick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

stalin wasnt a happy camper after germans invaded in ww2 by all accounts he had a serious depressive episode for days and had to be coaxed back to lead them again by his underlings

putin certainly doesnt look like he is being coaxed by anyone at present

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh the sanctions levied against Russia will not stop them.

If they continue and escalate this invasion then they will confirm their position as a pariah state and the biggest threat to peace in Europe since Nazi Germany.

If this continues then I'd suggest that the EU cease all business with Russia. No more oil, no more gas. Freeze Russian and Oligarchs funds held in European banks. Cancel all work visas for Russians in the EU and deport them. Remove Russia's access to the Swift banking system. Ban Russian Airlines from EU airspace.

There is no point wagging the finger at them, it has to be a gut punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Welcome back @gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 54,187 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'd add to this that the West should send peace Keepers to Ukraine, Ukraine have long been requesting this

Looks like it's too late , airspace over the east of Ukraine has been closed by the Russians, internet and mobile communications have gone down in donesk and civilians told not to film Russian military forces movements,an American Global hawk Drone is over head ,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The West should have done this in 2014 along with proper sanctions. It fudged the response back then and now we are reaping the product of that weak reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,187 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Completely agree

The West should be in Ukraine now backing up the Ukraine's and Putin wouldn't be attacking that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

I think Russia supplies too much oil and gas to the west for it to kick up too much fuss.

From my v Ltd knowledge of the US army, I understand that their troops and equipment are more suited to the type of maneuvers in middle east conflicts than possible peer to peer ground combat, which the Russians have trained for. I can't see the us or Nato entering a military conflict, but will instead impose light enough sanctions.

I read a very interesting book, Prisoner's of Geography by Tim Marshall, which details the geography of 10 of the biggest countries and explains the huge influence geography plays in a country's foreign policy decisions. The book had emphasised the strategic importance of the crimean peninsula to Russia, so it wasn't surprising when it was annexed by Russia. Its well worth a read as it also deals with China, the US and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

Apologies if this has already been posted - but an interesting analysis of Putin's motives in Ukraine from Jonathan Steele in The Guardian

The last paragraph says this: "Convinced that Nato will never reject Ukraine’s membership, Putin has now taken his own steps to block it. By invading Donetsk and Luhansk, he has created a “frozen conflict”, knowing the alliance cannot admit countries that don’t control all their borders. Frozen conflicts already cripple Georgia and Moldova, which are also split by pro-Russian statelets. Now Ukraine joins the list. There is speculation about what will happen next but from his standpoint, it is not actually necessary to send troops further into the country. He has already taken what he needs."

So it seems that simply by creating a disputed border, Putin has blocked Ukraine becoming a member of NATO.

• Advertisement

It's already beyond that,

He did that 8 years ago

Advertisement