Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had a major operation and thought dam I wish I had that recorded?

• 23-02-2022 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I had a major operation about 8 years ago at this stage crazy now but ye I would have loved to see them doing it and to get a look at the inside of myself too lol. It was a twisted intestine. Not fun I can tell ye. Worst pain I ever had a 10 in pain definitely. Felt like I was gona die.

I still remember it to this day.

So have you had any operations done on you that you would have loved to have recorded and be able to view after it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I had a tooth re-filled in the early 2000's, for whatever reason the dentist had a camera hooked to a laptop and they gave me a look before they put in the new filling, it was morbidly fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I think you’re mad, OP. I have a permanent colostomy, so they basically cut me open, feiced out the rectum and most of the colon, and tied me up again. I’m bloody squeamish and even writing that shook me ! Lol. Definitely didn’t want to see it or never will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No, personally I wouldn't want to see it. I worked in a 'real ale' pub in England years ago. A guy (40's+) used to come in and sink a few bottles of imported strong beer quickly and then leave. A nice enough gentleman, but obviously had a stressful day. I discovered he was a trauma surgeon in the local hospital. I was pretty good at conversing with customers and sometimes he would just give a shake of the head to indicate he didn't want chit chat. Tough job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nothing of that scale, but i once split my chin open and while waiting for someone to give me a lift to the DCU clinic found myself thinking 'i should take a photo of this cos (hopefully) this is the last time i'll get to see this' and then thought 'don't be stupid' but immediately after regretted not doing so.

not that i'd whip my phone out at parties and start showing random strangers or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

A penis size competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i've never had to but if i had, i would so try and take video or photos

have done for the kids various cuts scrapes and breaks.

i did ask my wife did she want photos from their birth. she said no.

edit : actually, i have 3d models (actual and digital) of my before, ongoing and once i'm finished, dental treatment. Full house of treatment, fillings, extractions, root canals, implants, crowns. It is not cheap.

young people of ireland, if i could offer one piece of advice, look after your teeth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a CT scan of my brain that i've been intending for years to get printed and stick on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Yes and most definitely NO to your 2nd part of the question.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I’ve had brain surgery a bunch of times in the last 30 years or so. I asked them once if they would record my latest upcoming craniotomy so I could watch it on the telly after I’d recovered but they told me they didn’t have that facility in the operating theatres.

Me asking gave them a few giggles though.

• Advertisement

I remember, many years ago, bbc ni showing an operation , an emergency one on a traffic accident. I was quite young at the time. I'd never want to see it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I had a radical nephrectomy last year and I actually had great craic , I could have imagined it but I recall absolutely hilarity in the room before I got knocked out

When my anaesthesist Asked had I any allergies before I went under I recall my last words “hamsters “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't even like looking when they stick needles in my arm and I hate the sight of blood, no way would I want to see myself being cut open. The MRI of my knee looked cool but there's no way I'd like to see the video of the surgery, it was key hole so not even that much blood.

I was trained to 1st responder level and always wondered how I'd actually manage if I needed to use my training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Not the operation itself no, but I wouldn't mind having a video of the stunning blonde that gave me a catheter afterwards.

you must have a bigger brain than me, mine were able to fit on a CD-R.

Well they were MRI's. Maybe they didn't find one! 😀

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wasn't feeling up for it at the time, but they put 4 titanium plates in to hold me face together 8 years ago. That would have been an interesting one as they had to pull the skin and flesh apart to get to the bone, and then put screws in to fix them in place

The other big one was when they repaired a detached retina nearly 4 decades ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I knew mods are tough, but I never knew they were bullet proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

No thanks, viewing the start and end of a colonoscopy would not be my idea of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I used to watch those shows, it was Queens hospital in Belfast if I recall correctly, and one day they showed a surgery I’d had a few months previously. It was a large pin put down through the femur from the hip to the knee to repair a fractured femur. I was sick watching it 🤮. I was awake for a knee replacement a few years ago - not pleasant if I’m honest and would have no desire to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I have PTSD after getting my catheter removed after my operation. The pain was unbelievable. I’m not sure the nurse had removed one before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

When younger, fell and received a nice deep gash on my chin so the surgeon showed me my skull before stitching it.

More recently, bout 10 years ago when herself was having a c-section, I was brought in for the last couple minutes to stand near her head as is the norm. There is a bit of a curtain up so she can't see the process etc. When our young one was out, the surgeon said 'would you like to see' meaning for me to go to the right where they had just brought the baby. I went to the left and had a really good look at the procedure (I'm not squeamish at all) before the anaesthetist noticed and shoo'd me away. Lots of blood and tissue.

Amazing what can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have an x ray of my water works associated internal plumbing, from a kidney stone complaint many years ago. It was in the days when you had to bring your x-ray sheets with you to every appointment and somehow, no one ever asked for it back.

These days, it is of medical novelty interest, since most x rays are now reviewed on computer screens and you don't see the full plastic sheet developed. I was thinking of rigging up a light box to put it on the sitting room wall, but the wife won't let me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Saladin Ane

The night before my hip replacement I went and had a heart attack. Had felt unease in the chest for over a year but hoped it would go away. Drove to the hospital around midnight and had the attack there.

Then they put me on Plavix for 18 months - which meant they couldn't do my hip lest I bleed out on the table. By the time of the replacement I was a real drag-leg.

I watched on the monitor as they inserted the stents but I would have loved to see the cutting, sawing, drilling and hammering as they fitted a new hip.

Advertisement