Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

Sorry state of affairs when consideration towards others = 'pandering to vulnerable people'.

I hope the vulnerable people in your life know how you feel about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Pandering to the Vulnerables ...is it out soon at a cinema near you? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I had thought you were saying that I might be making up the fact I had an immunocompromised friend. I was saying I could point you to posts where I mentioned that friend - even prior to covid. But I was saying that even if I couldn't do that ("prove" I wasn't making up their existance for some "covid" argument) well it wouldn't really make any difference unless a person was claiming that such a condition was an impossibility.

i.e. regardless of whether I had such a friend, there are still immunocompromomised people out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

They know how I feel about masks, and about covid as a whole, as you might guess I leave no room for ambiguity.

• Advertisement

Don't think it will be hit somehow 😉

There are people like said MsPower and others who will be trying to make a name for themselves by pushing an agenda like this .

Unfortunately they have been all over the media all through this on all sides of the debate .

Time for everyone to move on.... masks gone , but infection rates still up .

All most immunocompromised / vulnerable people want is life back to normal too , but for them it means taking extra care not to get infected . For them , not everyone else .

Its not the same as pre Covid , as much more infectious than any other previously circulating viruses. . But Omicron is causing less severe illness and we have vaccines now .

The big push is getting antivirals and monoclonal antibodies available to treat anybody still at highrisk if they get infected asap.

Not getting everybody else to wear masks.

Everybody else has done their bit .

However making this about something against vulnerable people is unkind .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Donald Trump don't post in this thread again

Yes but it's up to those immunocompromised to take care , wear a decent mask and watch what they are doing from now on .

Government should get those antivirals out there asap .

If somebody sits beside someone vulnerable on public transport or in an enclosed indoor space without a mask there is nothing that can be done, just get up and move away .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

Not how life works- it’s no longer practical, affordable or desirable for life to stall so a vocal minority can “feel” safer. They now have to take responsibility themselves- whether that be wearing their own masks, avoiding very crowded situations, taking control of their own health (ie obesity and Covid are very much linked). Feelings and guilt trips no longer come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No

Decided to step it up a bit lads.

Going full hazmat just to annoy people.

• Advertisement

Aside from the dig about overweight people, vulnerable could be anyone else, even ourselves only we don't know it yet. What you, and others are saying, is that you won't consider any inconvenience for yourself in order to mitigate against putting others (which again, could include you or people you care about) at risk.

That's fine, but it is a selfish premise and pointing that out isn't trying to guilt trip someone, it's merely acknowledging something for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

No

I stopped wearing it already in shops, where other people are also not wearing it anymore. Masking seems to be a fading trend

No

It’s also selfish of fat people to expect others to pander to their “vulnerabilities “ but such realities aren’t PC to mention and don’t give out the holier than thou moral vibe mask lovers so crave.

No

I'm not going to continue doing something I really hate based on the possibility that I'll be in the company of strangers who are medically compromised. Going to Tesco without my mask on doesn't seem selfish to me.

Why is there such aggression from both sides though? Why do you have no respect for people who are against wearing masks? How come some in that group are angered by those who do wear them?

What are masks symbolising here.

So fat equals vulnerable in your eyes?

I suggest you look up the list of those with weak immune systems on HSE website so you don't write a post with such a lack of knwledge again.

Where is the aggression?

If you don't want to do something, don't, I'm only pointing out that we know that there is a dangerous virus present and I'm advocating being considerate towards others (and ourselves) with respect to trying to minimize spreading or catching it. And what I said was I have no respect for people who are militantly against wearing masks. Not that everyone who isn't wearing one falls in to that category.

If I see someone in a large shopping center with a lot of distance between people not wearing a mask just doing their shopping am I going to think ill of them for not wearing it? No. But if I see someone coughing and sniffling on public transport with a lot of people around them, then I will think poorly of them. At least in the short term while we continue to see significant cases associated with it. Masks aren't symbolizing anything, but they do indicate an awareness of the risks, a willingness to help to minimize spread and a consideration towards others.

We can't just go back to pretending Covid doesn't exist or didn't happen just because it has been unpleasant in various ways to deal with it.

This has been the most dangerous pandemic most of us have ever had to deal with and yet it was relatively easy to detect, to mitigate against and to develop a vaccine for. If the next virus is more deadly, or communicable or harder to develop a vaccine for, we, as a society will need an attitude of doing what we can and I've hated to see the more extreme versions of unwillingness to consider others that some people have shown they possess.

I missed the data that showed only fat people are susceptible to or have suffered from Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

No

Stop twisting posts to suit your narrative. It's not 2020 anymore.

Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

It will be two years now shortly the corona came onto our isles

Lol. Sure, I'm the one twisting things. I literally responded directly about the topic of the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No

Basic common knowledge.

Never heard of her, what exactly does that have to do with anything?

No

Never said “only”- but they are far more susceptible- this is undisputed medical fact. But isn’t discussed much as it might “upset” someone.

But isn’t discussed much as it might “upset” someone.

The entire beauty, fashion and entertainment industries have 50+ years of telling people their fatness is a problem. There's a program on TV specifically focused on it.

How much more of a discussion do you think there needs to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

From your comments kaiser, I appreciate that you are both a articulate and intelligent poster. Therefore its very difficult to see how you've completly failed to understand the role face masks have played during the pandemic overall.

Firstly we have little or no data on outbreaks in shopping centres or supermarkets. A quick google search shows that some of the big supermarkets here did indeed have outbreaks amongst staff. Detailed information on these outbreaks however seem to be scarce. As for customers who may have contacted covid during a shopping trip there appears to no means to verify how people picked up infections in shops due to the random nature of such interactions.

Bizarrely during the period of the first lockdown, the World Health Organisation insisted on promoting the stance of the Chinese government that the virus was not airborne and therefore face masks were not needed.

Once that was Identified as being wrong, masks were introduced to help reduce the spread of covid along with other existing measures such as handwashing and social distancing. However the mandating of masks by itself was never exclusively about who was vulnerable, rather it was one one of several measures brought in to help prevent outbreaks in certain settings and to help reduce the spread of covid in order so that hospital and medical resources were not overstretched in terms of beds, available staff and treatment.

On people's immune systems. Afaik there is absolutely no proof that masks in any way weakened anyones immune system. In the winter of the first year of the pandemic, after masks had been mandated, it was notable that the usual flue season was absent. In fact it is just as likley that the subsequent vaccination programme starting in 2021 has helped stimulate people's immune system not only against covid but potentially against other infections.

Overall the majority of people I know got on with interpersonal communication and interaction just fine. And considering that social interactions were limited during large portions of the pandemic people I know were often quite happy using digital and other media where face to face contact simply wasn't feasible or possible.

There is no "virtue signalling" nor "doing-the-right-thing" fixation other than in your head. The fact is that the mandated wearing of face masks ends on the 28th of February. No one is going to force you to wear one. Whether you will decide to be considerate towards others who choose to do so, remains up to you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No

I simply refuse the notion that continued wearing of face masks is an expression of consideration for others with the implied reverse angle that those who won't are inconsiderate.

And anyone who pushes that line is IMO indeed virtue signalling and at the very least puts their own fears and anxieties before society in general. And when we go further into how little actual evidence of any meaningful contribution was made by face masks then this becomes in my view an outright selfish expectation.

I know a lot of people say mask wearing is not big deal but for me personally it is a dystopian notion of where we eye each other up as suspected and potentially dangerous germ spreaders best avoided. Psychologically I find it absolutely horrible.

Lastly when I look at countries that had different mask experiences to Ireland - say Sweden on the one hand and Spain on the other. As 'extreme' examples if you like with Ireland somewhere in the middle.

And I see that Swedes never had to wear masks, don't wear masks and never did and nothing happened in Sweden that is in any way different to Ireland in terms of how the pandemic panned out.

And then I look at Spain where the mask mandate was applied to outdoors even and I see that the majority or at least a very large number of people still wear masks outside there - even when not mandated. And again the pandemic panned out there very much the same way as here or in Sweden.

When I look at those 3 examples I must come to the conclusion that mask wearing and the expectations around it are mostly a matter of social conditioning and not of necessity or even usefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

"I simply refuse the notion that continued wearing of face masks is an expression of consideration for others with the implied reverse angle that those who won't are inconsiderate"

No one is insisting you should continue to wear a face mask after the 28th of February. Being considerate towards others, in its most simple terms is not being condescending, generally insulting or even attributing those who choose to do so as being "fearful" "social conditioned" or any the other odd, strange and downright bizarre attributes regularly cast at those who just might to continue to wear a mask for whatever reason, whether that is medical or looking out for a family member or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

No

I won't as I despise the things but I have zero issue with anyone that wishes to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

They have saved numerous lives

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement