Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

February 23rd/24th 2022: Snow and Wind Warning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Dew point down to -7 now in Belmullet. I wonder is this a glitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Where is Nacho Dip and Mountainy Boy?, we need on the ground reporting 🙂

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dacogawa

A bit of something coming down at Knock (N17)

Well it was a minute ago, should have screen grabbed it...

Snow level dropping fast now, in the midlands too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I was over near Westport today and the showers certainly started to carry a more wintry element to them in the mid to late afternoon. By 5pm, I could see that the Sheaffry Hills in the distance were turning white with snow showers falling on them while the summit of Croagh Patrick had a much lighter dusting around the cone.

Will be keeping an eye on proceedings here near Castlebar later on in the night.

A very slight dusting on the summit of the Reek around 5pm today as the showers turned increasingly wintry.

Below, a much snowier Nephin last Saturday morning after an overnight top up of fresh snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think it's correct and is in line with what the models had for the northwest this afternoon. It's back up to -1.3 C now at 7 pm.

Below are the hourly dewpoint and wet-bulb temperatures, including handy readings from a ship sailing east way out in the Atlantic. It gives a good indication of what's to come upstream.

UKMO warning for Derry Eglinton airport.

Snow

Issued at:  Wed 23 Feb 2022 - 17:35 UTC

Valid from:  Thu 24 Feb 2022 - 00:00 UTC

Valid to:  Thu 24 Feb 2022 - 06:00 UTC

SNOW (OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED) IS LIKELY TO OCCUR AT THE AIRFIELD. SLIGHT/MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 3-6CM. SNOW TYPE WET.

VISIBILITY /IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 400M.

WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so what do you reckon 1982 all over again???😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭pauldry

The really heavy showers off the coast will lose intensity as they hit us as this happened last year and looked like a snow out but by morning just a few bits of hail on car. Also by tomorrow morning milder air will have pushed in before it gets cooler and windier later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Light rain has turned to light sleet now in Donegal Town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I should have known that picture of me would surface eventually. haha. No snow to report yet.

Just drove from Sligo to Ballyshannon and heavy sleet, grapple and hail from outside of Sligo to whole way down. Road turning white towards Donegal. Can't attach video so will attach screen grab

Ballyshannon in South, Donegal around 1km/hr from the Finner station

So it looks like the action really kicks off after midnight here. There are currently clear skies at the moment but no frost unfortunately, so hopefully when the showers come they will be exclusively of snow and stick straight away. We could have a decent covering in that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hail in Galway. It does feel 'snowy' but we need to lose a couple of degrees to hit the sweet spot I think.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Glengesh has a good covering of snow now, just seen a pic online.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of showers approaching, a few sferics along with those hail showers in Donegal now.

Want out in Sligo for a walk and wind chill would cut you in 2. Its unfortunate how many of those showers are missing us. The direction of them ain't good for here. Galway Mayo and Donegal could do ok in places. Maybe Tubbercurry and Ballymote in Sligo as all the flakes will stick there. A couple of cms possible in these areas. Donegal could get 5cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Your house is probably 24 degree no wonder you found it cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭kegg

Hailstones in castlebar. Road etc is white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I have to say, I'm really surprised that even I'm getting frequent shower activity here in South Dublin. Shower rolls in every 10-20 mins or so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭squarecircles

WHITE IN WESTPORT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Still a mild 6c in Waterford, hit a peak of 12c around noon. Just 1 shower all day so pleasent enough by recent standards.

A proper snow shower here now to the east of Castlebar. Falling on a foundation of hail and graupel that fell about 20 minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Hoping for a right flurry of snow in Castlebar tonight myself. Nothing in between will do.! Otherwise I'm on the road to work at 6am in the morning.😭

Current windchill (28 degrees colder than my house)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭littlema

Watching the lamppost here as gentle flakes fall in the dimm light.

South Sligo 152m asl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann aviation division not forecasting much in the way of snowy precip for Knock.

EIKN AD WRNG 03 VALID 240000/241200 SNOW FBL LESS THAN 1 CM FCST=

The heaviest showers are not really making much progress southeastwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

-11 in Dublin! Based on the windchill chart from pauldry

Brr!

If it were true 🤣

Showers gathering now out west. Many areas will get at least a dusting overnight but the nature of showers is hit and miss of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭typhoony

Heavy shower of sleety/snow mix in South galway, I see in the radar a line of showers heading into galway bay, clarinbridge/oranmore is in the firing line into East of galway city

More than 50 percent of showers now have swung by Sw to NE with very little push SE bar the final part of the system around 5am. Then by 9am it will be 4c and rising so if anyone wants snow to play with get up at daybreak or before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think it's two stations, each -1, where the screen has placed one over part of the other so it looks like -11. My take anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, right now it's hard to see any precipitation, of any kind, in Munster with the current angle of attack showing on the radar.

Now snowing, a dusting so far (sideways snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

Was working all night in sligo and didn't see any snow at all, but since getting home at 11.30 and looking out the window it's starting to come down and sticking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Just rain here outside Newport. Heard a few hail pellets hit the window but only lasted a minute and nothing stuck. Not holding much hope this close to the coast.

A dusting here too. Hopefully I wake up to a nice covering. It will more than likely be the last of this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Need to drive to galway in the morning.

I'm getting a vibe that it'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some nice rumbles out west just now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Thunder in the distance now, and just seen a bright flash to the west of us, followed by a closer rattle of thunder. Was planning to sleep but might stay up a few more minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yea dont think I’ll be staying up to lamppost watch tonight… sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi guys Where is that thunder

Just came though Sligo. Fair bit on the top of summerhill nothing laying only on cars in Collooney

• Advertisement

Some more thunder and lightning out to the west of my own location in Central Mayo.

Westport looks tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Snowing in north Tipp.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭konman

Moderate snow just south of Tuam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Expect a fairly widespread 3-5 cm snowfall in Connacht and Ulster, 1-3 cm in Leinster and Munster except near south coast trace-2 cm.

Most of this will come between now and 0900h, then it will ease off and wintry showers may become more mixed, as the coldest air aloft moves through in that time frame.

Amounts somewhat hit or miss due to showery nature of this event, but some heavy falls of snow are very likely given sub-516 dm thicknesses likely to be advected through most of Ireland now to 0900h (core is now shown as 510 dm, don't think that reaches land but 513 dm min could).

With the strong westerly winds this may have a blizzard-like quality especially outside of towns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement