Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Selling so well that I've stopped saluting every time I pass one! Too many now. It's just the Titanium Grey ones that I salute now.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I'd say charge when you can. Castlebellingham North you might get lucky (good chance of it being free before midday, lunch is busy). Check some stats here: https://ecars-stats.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah the matrix lights are a dead giveaway too. I think I just got too used to my car being unique that I stopped paying attention

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I saw one of those today, nice looking colour, and a lot easier to keep clean than most

I've literally seen 3 more ID.4s since seeing the 5 yesterday

The crazy part is how many are popping up with supply shortages, image how many there would be if shortages weren't a problem

Ionity City North is the best (only) HPC en route, but probably too close to Dublin to be of use either way

MY Castlbellingham is your best bet, if the northbound charger is in use you can swing around and use the southbound one in a pinch

If you've a destination charger it'll be a lot easier, but up North that's a dicey prospect. Just checked Ecars and all 4 AC units in Bangor are in use. What's the bet there's cars being left there all day?

I'd definitely make sure to top up enough at castlbellingham to get to Bangor and back there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 RDRourke

Parana is expected to arrive in Cork on Thursday at 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Maybe I’m just overthinking things but the window fogging issue is really bugging me now. I know most cars fog up when it’s raining and cold outside but just the speed and the longevity of the windows fogging up is startling on the ID 4.

Was sending warm air into the rear of the cabin and all and still all the side windows, the roof window and rear all totally fogged up.

There was three passengers, two in front obviously and one in the rear.

Is the AC on in the climate controls? That'll dry the incoming air so it's able to defog the windows faster

I find that 20C plus AC usually keeps the windows clear. You'll also want to make sure the airflow is set to the windows and not in Auto

Will try the AC tomorrow. Not sure if it was on tonight. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Hey Guys,

Looking at the possibility of changing to an ID4.

As covid begins to end I will be doing a 300km daily commute. Primarily motorway.

77kw gtx business model.

My employer has free charging on site. My aim would be that I avail of this charging each day and then I will not need to charge at home. Except on maybe cold windy days.

With the price of fuel at the minute, and my current ICE starting to age a bit I am anticipating lower maintenance and cheaper fuel that would make the ev cheaper.

I am also a huge advocate of modern driving aids such as adaptive cruise control,lane assist, Collision assist. Especially at evening motorway rush hour traffic.

I am also looking for a big enough car that I can put the seats down and throw a bike in the back.

Does this seem like an achievable ask of an ID4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

you won't make 300k round trip at motorway speeds. V unlikely on lower speeds also. You will need to charge at home. Even the granny cable will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He can charge at home or work, he should be fine. He won't be driving at 120kph the whole way so average speed will be way down.

did you even read the post?

"then I will not need to charge at home"

i say they will.

"300km daily commute. Primarily motorway."

How do you figure they won't be doing motorway speeds on a motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You should be able to do the trip for most of the year relying on work charging, however for maybe 3 months of winter you'll need to supplement with home charging. If you can back off to 110 then you'd definitely manage it almost all year

I would really recommend getting the home charger installed. It makes life a lot easier, the work charger might be broken or in use and then you're in trouble

Even if you charged at home 100% of the time the savings will be massive compared to diesel

I'd definitely recommend getting a car with Travel Assist for that commute, makes motorway driving a lot less stressful

No worries about fitting a bike in the back of the ID.4, plenty of space

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes I did read the post thank you very much.

He will most likely not have to charge at one point during the warmer months but may have to in the depths of winter.

If you read my post I clearly say his average speed won't be 120kph. He'll average below 100 once you take into account getting onto the motorway, traffic jams coming into the city and then lower speed city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Thanks for the responses folks.

Just to clarify:

I accept I will need to lower the speed on the motorway. This is even apparent in my ICE. I may even consider using N roads and taking 20 minutes longer than motorways. But if I can get 300km a day with primarily work charging I would be happy.

Also I will be installing a home charger. Just prefer not to incur costs. Much prefer driving an ICE. But this is a practical functional purchase. I beleive if managed correctly I can drive a new car for less than the costs of commuting in my 2l diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

If not wedded to the expensive and more performant GTX, other models in ID4 range will go further on a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dave Barry

Zwickau plant closing next week (at least) due to the Ukraine situation. Apparently there are some electrical cables that come from Ukraine.

Do you do that commute every day? To give a rough idea of the savings:

Assuming 75,000km annual mileage

21kWh/100km average consumption (that's over 300km range)

15,750kWh electricity consumption

€0.0687/kWh night rate (assuming 100% home charging)

€1,082 annual energy costs

Compared to diesel

Assume 5l/100km average consumption

3,750l fuel

Assume diesel costs €1.68/l

€6,300 fuel cost per year

Over €5,000 saved, more if you're able to primarily charge for free in work, and that's before tax, tolls and maintenance are factored in

Personally I don't think you'll need to worry about costs of a home charging with those savings

One thing to watch out for is that you'll be through your battery warranty before 3 years. That will likely factor into your residual value for any PCP

• Advertisement

i really don’t like feel good about saying this under the circumstances, but it might help mine getting on a actual boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

hi All,

was looking at purchasing an ID4 last summer but went with a 182 r line all space instead due to seat requirements with 3 young kids and wait time on ID4.

however a local dealer has one in now in Color I’m looking for. Standard life model. I’ve 4 questions I would appreciate any help with

1. we think we have a way of fitting 3 kids across middle but it means no iso fix’s being used. Anyone else have experience of this. Also allspace is proving awkward with child in last row, I have to climb in boot to buckle him up and also half boot space is gone with this seat up. My logic is it makes much more sense to use 3 across middle if possible and safe
    2. is that light bar between headlights .on the life model or is it an option?
    3. if I go with the vw charger will that get me around the timer issues for night rate charging. Or with 3.0 update coming so soon that it’s just worth waiting for that and go with basic charger.
    4. final question is it from the main fuse board or the electricity meter that the cable for home charger needs to be connected by electrician?

I’ve been offered a great trade in for my own hence the reason I’m thinking about it. Basically meaning I can get from 182 allspace to new Id 4 for 9k. We are doing about 25k per year average

any thoughts welcome!

1. I've no experience, sorry. I've 2 car seats either side and someone could squeeze in between, but not an adult.

2. As far as I know, the light bar is on cars with matrix headlights. That's just what I've heard. So... On the life, yes.

3. If the charger is a smart charger, most likely yes. All cars built after week 51 of 2021 come shipped with 3.0, which should hopefully fix the scheduled charging, but I'll believe it when I see it. Likely the car the dealer has is on 2.3. shop around for chargers though. Energia have a deal on one I think too.

4. Either, though it seems to depend on the electrician you ask. There's a pdf here somewhere saying it's allowed. Someone might find it?

9k for a new car, and at 25km a year it would likely save you over 1000-1500 in fuel. Pretty good deal I think... Once the size works for you.

I don’t think that v3.0 made it to production yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

From MeinID today.

Today the Facebook group released new information as follows. These are also in the FAQ

ID. Software 2.3 Update

Dear ID. Community,

the last wave of the ID. Software 2.3 Over-the-Air Update started a few days ago and will now gradually reach your ID.s, provided you have given your consent. The following vehicles are part of this Over-the-Air update:

• Vehicles for which we have already received consent, but which have not been updated due to interim dis-enrollment (resetting the vehicle to factory settings or removing the vehicle from the We Connect ID. app) or
    • have not yet received the update due to other cancellation reasons, as well as
    • thousands of newly added vehicles.

If your ID. has not received the ID. Software 2.3 update by the end of March 2022, you will be informed here in the ID. Drivers Club to find out what will happen in this case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Due to a change in the law, all running Over-the-Air updates have been stopped and restarted. For most of you this will have no effect. However, if your ID. is in the "Update downloaded but not yet installed" state, you will soon see a message in the Infotainment system ("Software update no longer available"). Your vehicle will then download the software package again.

Next Steps:

Step by step, we are now completing the rollout of ID. Software 2.3 and are already preparing the next updates for you.

Stay tuned! We will inform you in due time about the concrete contents of the next software updates and the first driving reports on the new ID.5, which will be available soon.

Best wishes and have a safe journey!

Your Volkswagen ID. Team

I have mine about a year now and i just got a text from the dealer saying its time for a service. I thought it was 2 years before the first service. Anyone else have experience of this?

Is it just the dealer looking to bring it in, poke about a bit and charge me €500 for inspections?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Just got the text also, I'm ignoring it. Service is every two years. On of the posters here has confirmed this with VW Ireland also.

Thats what i thought. chancers!

• Advertisement

Decided to buy the service plan with the 2 tyres included. Think between 2 tyres, fitting them, and the service fee it's probably worth it. Certainly looks like I'll need new tyres after 2 years anyways (30k km).

Advertisement