Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security level required- firearm storage

Options
  • 22-02-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Just wondering could anyone clarify the following:

Currently have 4 guns all on unrestricted licence. I want to apply for a new licence for one of the guns I currently own (I want to change it from an unrestricted licence to restricted).

what additional security requirements if any are needed? I know that AGS can put additional requirements but that aside would any additional security be required?

I currently have two separate safes up to all current standards, the house has an alarm.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rescueme0007

S.I. No. 307/2009 - Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009

is the relevant legislation.

Regulation 3:

Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.

Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

I believe this will address your circumstances both now and if you get the variation to one restricted firearm.

Bon chance!🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BC11011

Perfect, I read that SI but was not sure if it was the same if it was 1 restricted and 3 non restricted. Looks like I am covered so! Thanks a million for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Just be aware thats the minumum requirements required, the Super, or in this case Chief Super can request/ insist on further reasonable security requirements, lots of lads think because they meet the " requirements" in the Comms Guidelines think they are over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I dont know of anyone that has had to impose extra security above and beyond that which is set out in the "good-book"

To be honest they'd still have to justify..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Out of curiosity, if the firearm is current licenses, why does it need a restricted license?

Is corrent license incorrect? Or are you planning to modify that changes it?

Make sure that they dint incorrectly assume one or the other.

• Advertisement

@Mellor It is a semi-auto shotgun. I want to have a restricted licence for it to allow me to do shotgun target shooting which requires slugs and mag capacity larger than 2+1. Which would make it restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks. I would make it really clear that you currently own the firearm and it is licensed in its current state, that no additional firearm is introduced. Functionality is the same. It's juts permission to remove the plug, and ability to buy restricted ammo. Both of which have a clear, non-subjective reason.

Looks like a strong request to me, but who knows with these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had to add extra security.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I've have had extra security requirements imposed on me above and beyond what's laid down in the S.I.

They are no big deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

All the op can do is try, again we are beholden to the few in power.

Nitimur in vetitum

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. My FO is pretty good but I will still make it clear as ye said that it is the same gun already legally held, as @Mellor said. I already have a separate safe bolted to the wall for ammo that was a 3 gun safe before I got a bigger safe. Hopefully that should be enough.

Out of curiosity if you don't mind me asking, what additional requirements did you have to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

(2) One restricted firearm, or three or fewer non-restricted firearms: Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which meets standard BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

(3) Two restricted firearms, or, more than three non-restricted firearms: Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which meets standard BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621

I was asked to go to level 3 security, but you have to look on the bright side I was able to buy more guns lol

Advertisement