Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help disabled driver choose a car

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Got in contact with a VW dealer in South Dublin, and he's able to get me a 3 door automatic Golf. It'll probably take 4-5 months for delivery though.......? Going out to talk to him at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s bizarre, unless they’re bringing out a 3 door, which it was said they wouldn’t.

how is there a 5 month wait for a car that is out of production?

did he give you € figures?

I'm going to see him on Saturday. It's a special order

Dont get your hopes up, it sounds like this is an error on the salesman’s part.

I hope I’m wrong of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

The Golf isn’t made as a 3 door.

How about importing one of the Fiesta 3 doors that I mentioned a while back? did you decide they wouldn’t work?

Put a 2k deposit on a 1.0l TSI MHEV DSG Golf today. Will be June by the time I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

please post photos when it arrives, 3 door 2022 Golf will be a definite collectors item!

No news outlets have picked up on VW actually bringing out a 3 door, it’s all a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Did you get confirmation if it was a Mk7.5 or Mk8 Golf?

Well if it is a 3 door Mk8 then it's the best kept secret that even the motoring world doesn't know about. And what is mild hybrid these days - stick an extra 12v battery in to manage some of the car's electronics and claim it's more fuel efficient?

• Advertisement

It’s a 48v system that uses a motor/generator, not too dissimilar in concept to the Civic IMA

Hi guys. Am fit to scream this afternoon. Got a call from Frank Keane Liffey Valley earlier......Golf cannot be ordered in 3 door automatic. Back to the drawing board I go.

Am gonna look at 4 doors - don't have a choice

Mods - any chance of also having this thread in the Accessibility & Disability Forum? I might have more luck there.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

You could go to oc cars near the airport they have different types of vans. I know you don't have a power chair so I don't mean to use the ramp etc, you could try transfer like it was a car - there should be more room in the cabin than a normal car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yep definitely worth trying a few if they can be found in auto. The new dsg caddy in particular imo is worth a shot. The centre console is nice and low and out of the way of the seats too.

A Caddy Life with DSG is €47k, and even a panel van with DSG is an eye watering €27k.

with the panel, van there’s only €200 VRT to claim back too…

That’s before you get to it being diesel

FFS

Hi all. After a long search, I went and looked at a 3 door Mini One in Dublin on Saturday afternoon.

Lovely little car.......deceptively spacious inside too. Am waiting on the dealer to come back to me with a price for my car as a trade in.

The mini was suggested to you last May 😂

How much is the model you want working out at (before any rebates etc) - brochure price?

Hopefully it works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

We're you able to transfer you wheelchair into the Mini. I tries one last year and the centre console is wide

Lol. I automatically discounted it because I thought it would be way too small!? How wrong I was!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

If you can transfer from the wheelchair yourself into the car have a look at Kia xceed petrol electric. My brother has one and he is in a wheelchair. Wheelchair height is the same as the car seat or near enough. The car is slightly higher than his old focus which means he is not blinded by oncoming traffic at night.

You can get a transfer seat fitted that you install when you get in and lift out once you are seated. The seat rails can be extended so the seat moves really back. It has electric seats to move back forth up and down. Great space inside. Parking sensors and camera. Brother loves it.

Plug in once a month into the house socket (3 pin plug) so no adapter needed for outside the house. Cable is long enough. Uses the car once a week or so so fills up every 3/4 months as runs the electric part of the drive.

Have settled on the Mini

• Advertisement

If it's brand new then I'd highly recommend adding the service inclusive pack for €600. It will cover basic servicing costs for up to 5 years/100,000km and much cheaper than paying a MINI dealer separately every time you get it serviced.

Can I add that after the deal has been done?

You should be able to add it up to 30 days after first registration. I'm surprised the dealer didn't try to upsell it to you. Ask the dealer about in case they sneakily added it the price already as with BMW (which makes MINI) some dealers tend to add it by default to the price unless you ask to have it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

• I am considering applying for Primary Medical Cert to to obtain a suitable car. I don't fall into any of the categories listed on the Citizens Information website but social welfare classes my brain injury as profound. By not falling into the following am I wasting my time:
    • You are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs.
    • You are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs.
    • You are without both hands or both arms.
    • You are without one or both legs.
    • You are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg.
    • You are a person with restricted growth syndrome (dwarfism) and have serious difficulties of movement of the legs.

I am told the application process is long and hard. Anyone else out there not fall under the guidelines but successful in application?

I know someone who had a stroke and got the PMC and exemption as a disabled driver, he technically had use of both arms and legs and didn’t really fully fall 100% into those categories

Phoned the car dealer yesterday. Car should(!)be here by late May/early June.

I was advised today to hold back on applying for the pmc. There were a couple of successful challenges to refusals and the whole lot is being reviewed.

I would use of my limbs (mostly) as well, it's the brain that's the issue.

What I mean is he could actually use the pedals and drive without a spinner but he still legitimately qualified for a PMC

• Advertisement

I am being told to hold off on my application for now as if I apply and it is rejected, there is no appeal mechanism. There were two recent challenges to the restrictive criteria. These challenges were successful and the criteria is being reviewed.

I was also advised that if I hold off I could buy a more suitable car now and retrospectively apply when the scheme is changed. That advice was from an organisation aiding disabled drivers

Am going to sell my Golf to my Sister. She's looking for an upgrade on her 2nd hand, 20 year old Yaris. Car salesman said it makes things more straightforward too.

It makes sense from the VAT point of view anyway, most garages would keep the 2 transactions separate for that reason.

your sister would struggle to find a car for what the garage were giving you, so everyone wins.

Car is coming in 2 weeks & will be registered in July

Hi all. Can anyone suggest where I can get a seat wedge cushion for a disabled driver? Needs to be a sloped one?

• Advertisement

Sister isn't taking the car now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Some sister she is.

Ah now............

New car arrived at the car dealers today. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Well wear. I hope you told your sister where to go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement