Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭jackboy

They are probably sorry they are not ready now to invade. This morning would be the perfect morning to invade Taiwan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

That's rubbish in my view. Putin has been building up to this moment for many years, he would be going for it now irrespective of who is in the White House. I suspect if Trump was still in situ the sanctions imposed would be substantially inferior than the ones being levied now.

The reality is that the Russian military reforms unveiled in 2008 took over a decade to implement and the Russian foreign exchange reserves haven't been sufficient until recent times to support a protracted wartime economy. Putin wasn't ready to go to war under Trump. If he was then he probably would have. In fact, it would have been more beneficial given Trump's reluctance to levy sanctions and his unwillingness to provide support to the Ukrainian military.

I'd imagine Trump's failure to get re-elected actually gave Putin pause for thought as to whether it was wise to undertake the decision that he has just taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,667 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know...I have already been corrected twice and responded on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

For negotiations or a shared future concept to work people have to be prepared to negotiate honestly. That is something Putin doesn't do and he has no problem using the power of Russia aggressively to get what he wants. For the rest of the world, it's things like sanctions until they are forced into a physical response. The only real sanction might be on energy but that hurts everyone else and China could happily take up the slack on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

F*ck the Russian government and anyone either backing them up today or equivocating over this invasion of Ukraine, including the trolls on this board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Russian stock market suspended again, down 40% today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

The Russian ambasator was on radio saying such things as Russia will not envade Ukraine, the west is getting all upset and highteningtensions , etc ,etc, etc. I other words this is all ‘hot air’ so everybody should relax a bit and cool down. He should now be interviewed again , IMMEDIATELY, and explain what is happening ,. I am sure that he would have no problem as he will respond IN HIS OWN WORDS. Or what about the foreign affairs committee inviting him in to UPDATE us on things

Also, Russia is a key member of the UN. So why did the UN not put a peace keeping force in place in Ukraine. Did Russia make any effort to apply for such a move to the UN ?

i

the UN will immediately have to review its structure and how it is governed. It’s madness that Russia is currently Charing various committees within the UN ancluding those committees ‘discussing’ the Ukrainian issue

All of the above BEGGARS BELIEF

just heard the Ucranian ambassador on morning Ireland and no Russian ambasator. And RTE did not state that it had invited the Russian Ambasator on but he vas ‘ otherwise engaged’ !,,,,!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If I hear that ponce Paul Murphy TD going on anymore about "American imperialism " I'll throw up. How anyone votes for that clown who between euro mep pension and td salary is pulling in 3K per week I'll never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I don't really see what else they could have done. A 1960's type showdown with nukes at the ready?

Invade Russia? And in winter at that ? Napoleon and Hitler both tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

A possible invasion of Taiwan could only be mounted in May/June or in October. The straight won't allow an amphibious assault at any other time. Also, it's really unclear if Chinese naval power has the capacity for naval assault. It's leagues more difficult than what Putin is doing (which plays into Russian strengths) - the Taiwanese know which way they're coming and have been prepping for 70 years.

I'd actually argue that this invasion makes an attempt on Taiwan even less likely. The international community will be appalled by Putin and will automatically concentrate minds on Taiwan, which is arguably an even more geostrategically consequential event should they pull it off.

An attack on Taiwan will drag Japan, Australia maybe even South Korea into that conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

Boris was asked directly about already known Russian donators (10% of Tory funding or something like that) and he refused to answer...

Starmer is already picking away at that point..

Will it be the end of him? Hard to tell, it woulf mean political suicide for the Tories to admit it, and lose another leader or even possibly losing powet to Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Interesting the way the bot/influence messaging has changed completely now from the Nasty Warmonger NATO and Nazi Ukraine ganging up on poor old frightened Russia that remembers WW2 (see all earlier pages), to Russia and their Army is Strong, Putin Great, there's nothing the Weak West led by eejits can do, Russia/Putin laughs at puny sanctions etc, do you want energy to cost the earth? (last few pages)

I suppose us nobodies/joe publics in the West must have some agency if its worth someone's time to sow such messages of demoralisation even though we are not the ones who'll be deciding what sanctions actually get put on Russia.

I hope the bot theory will be tested to destruction (that any sanctions won't matter to Russia) + they'll be cut off like a rotting limb now, whatever the cost. Then Europe can get busy on re-arming like its 1938 again.

@MFPM the word is "shill" I think. It's more of an americanism though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I'd also say the Taiwanese military are far ahead of Ukraine in capability, and would present a serious challenge for any foe.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Exactly that the eu had a real chance to stand up and stop this along with nato and what did they do and are doing gave out few sanctions to putins mate , ukraine is burning and it's going to get worse ,and what are we the eu /world doing sweet **** all ,

Utter cowardice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very angry with what's going on today. It's absolutely disgusting and completely pointless.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Putin doesn't Care he's gone completely off reservation ,he's wants the Nazi's gone , a legitimate democratic elected government with a Jewish leader ,

It's done Ukraine will fall meanwhile Europe leaders are cowering under their blankets this morning , wondering when its their turn to face a Russian onslaught

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ouch. The Tories have had a known dirty Russian money problem for a long time. Time to drain that little swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can thank ze greens and ze germans

Europe led by a bunch of children and now Putin has shown them that there was a real bogeyman to the east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Live from Kyiv as residents leave

That SWIFT move wouldn't happen immediately. They'd need a common approach to it.

Zelenskyy has asked for internarional help to protect ukraines airspace .

I'd expect European leaders have put their phones on silent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

"lead to consequences never seen before in history" is an incredible statement to wake up to.

The world feels a lot less safer, Europe feels a lot smaller.

And what should they be doing exactly? Threatened aerial responses just up the the ante for someone who would absolutely welcome then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Seems Putins declaration of war speech was recorded 3 days ago, after Metadata was checked.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Congratulations sir\madam. A post of shining moral clarity.

Every decent person should be expressing exactly the same sentiments today. There should be tens of thousands of decent Irish people protesting outside the Russian embassy in Dublin right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes remember when the bots were all it's American lies about a full scale invasion.

That aged well didn't it.

It's obvious there are certain accounts parroting disinformation onto the thread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement