Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

We won't firebomb them or treat them like less than second class. We won't work with the army to massacre their children and we won't scoop them up off the streets for internment. Also they'll have equal rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Pathetic, try again. In Detail how will we get unionists on board with a UI so we arent stuck with the same attitudes just flipped for the next 100 years.

Calm yourself.

I don't think someone who doesn't want a UI will be happy with a UI, do you? You asked how unification would sort it. I explained twice.

They'll be treated as equals and the army won't massacre their children. Thats not flipping a hundred years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You constitutionally secure their rights, you ensure through negotiations and commitments gained from Britain that they maintain citizenship if they want it...many many ways to do it.

• Advertisement

So the same things republicans currently have and are unsatisfied with.....

None you can accept obviously.

You have a poor understanding of how people had it. Unionists will not suffer similarly as you seem to believe. They won't like a UI but they'll be treated as equals and have a government.

So your attitude amounts to "they will take what we give them and if they dont like it tough luck" which is basically how westminster have treated republicans for decades and its turned out great.....

You seem incapable of seeing this conflict form any perspective but your own and cannot bear to put yourself in someone elses shoes.

No matter what you say Dublin is to unionists what London is to republicans and it will take ALOT to change that attitude.

What?

Have you missed the 24 years since the GFA and the fact it isn't even fully implemented yet?

Have you missed NI being taken out of the EU against their will?

The refusal to grant rights applied to everyone else on these islands?

And even if all that hadnt have happened republicans would still have not been satisfied until there was a UI the same way unionists will never want to be part of a UI.

Is there a way to make republicans forget they want a UI? If you can do that then you have a solution you should easily be able to reverse for getting Unionists on board with a UI.

• Advertisement

Wanting a UI is a legitimate aspiration...did you miss that bit too?

No it does not. The question was how will a UI sort the current issues in NI. I explained they all would have equal rights and their own representation and government.

You inferred that would merely be a flip of the last 100 years. That's nonsense.

You seem to be arguing with what you think I am inferring rather than what I am saying.

Equality for all and equal representation. Unionists wish to remain in the union. We cannot give them that in a UI. The whole point of a UI is to be out of the UK element.

Its silly to try make the UI some how part of the UK to appease those who don't want a UI. Nor should we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Not having our armed forces or the Gardai either directly or in collusion with paramilitaries shooting their children in the streets is already a damn sight better than we received. We spent long enough taking what we were given without a voice at the table to not need your patronising sh*tehawkery trying to compare a United Ireland where their rights aren't trampled into the ground to what we lived through. Another comfortable, leafy suburb miles from the border I'd imagine?

Dublin is to Unionists what London is to Republicans? I'm a fairly obvious Republican....I just spent a weekend in London, had a wonderful time, ate some great food, watched an entertaining soccer match.....even visited Buckingham Palace while I was there. I suspect you're arguing against strawman Nordies that either don't represent 90+% of the real population or are such an exaggerated caricature version of the worst of the worst to be practically useless as a point of reference. I don't blame the average Unionist for what happened up there, most were just trying to get on with their lives in a warped system. I don't blame the average British person either....but the system itself was and still remains inherently broken.

Most Unionists aren't Paisley Snr, most Republicans aren't part of Saoradh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, they haven't and the idea that they did is your claim only, which the article does not back up.

the article says that peace walls have gone up since the GFA which they did but that is very different to the claim that more walls went up since the GFA began then before it.

walls have gone up but more have gone down then have gone up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So nothing related to Golfgate.

Just as I thought.

We are on a roll Francie.

That is now 3 times in the past 3 days you have made a claim but unable to present a shred of evidence to back it up.

I never said it would be a flip of the last 100 years, you implied and strawmanned that argument in to suit your own needlessly aggressive posting style. I said it would be a flip of the current situation which republicans arent happy with so why would unionists then be happy with it when its reversed?

Symbolically Dublin rule is to unionists what London rule is to republicans.

Is wanting to stay part of the UK less legitimate then?

And still not one of you can explain to me how unionists being unhappy in a UI and seeing themselves as disenfranchised will magically be "sorted" as was claimed.

I'll remind you of exactly what you said in your post;

"they will take what we give them and if they dont like it tough luck" which is basically how westminster have treated republicans for decades and its turned out great.....

The strawman is very much on your side, as precisely no one here is arguing for Unification which sees those from the Unionist community being treated how Nationalists were treated by Westminster for decades.

You've literally made the point that an NI ruled from Dublin could see Unionists treated the way Nationalists in NI have been treated by Westminster......your objection to this being referred to as a flip seems odd to me.

Regarding your reply directly to me, I'm fully aware that SYMBOLICALLY, Unionists would view, 'Dublin Rule' in a manner akin to how Nationalists view, 'London Rule', and symbolism is certainly important, but I'm much more concerned with ensuring that PRACTICALLY, 'Dublin Rule' differs from what we experienced growing up. The objections of some regarding symbolism certainly shouldn't outweigh the wishes of others to pursue an outcome allowed for in an international agreement that the majority of those opposing it actually agreed to.

Theres no point even trying to post in this thread and ask questions, every time ive tried its just met by bad faith arguments, strawmen and a refusal to expand on broad populists nonsense phrase like "it will get sorted" and "we need root and branch reform".

• Advertisement

One could level the same charges at you, plenty of bad faith arguments and strawmen coming from your own posts, and a heap of loaded questions thrown in as attempted, 'gotchas'. That being said, I'm pretty sure I've addressed any points you've put to me quite directly, if I've missed anything feel free to remind me and I'll happily respond.

The poor me shtick of, 'oh I just wanted to ask a few questions' rather than acknowledging that you clearly posted with your mind made up as firmly as those you're arguing against....well that does you no favours.

It may not be 'sorted' for a generation.

As long as they have their rights enshrined and are given the opportunity for buy in then that is all that can be done.

This is an outworking and consequence of partition, putting back what was stupidly torn apart was always going to be a challenge whether it happened a year later or 100.

Do you think if it happened a year later it would have been any easier on Unionists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nonsense.

"Originally few in number, they have multiplied over the years, from 18 in the early 1990s to at least 59 as of late 2017;[2] in total they stretch over 34 kilometres (21 miles), with most located in Belfast. They have been increased in both height and number since the Good Friday Agreement of 1998.[3] "

A few small successes in removing a handful of walls here and there does not amount to any real progress.

18 in the early 1990s before the GFA to 59 recently proves my point.

This 'peace wall' stereotyping/or trope is wheeled out as often as the lazy 'bandit country' one.

1% of the population of Belfast (where the vast majority of PW's are) live near a peace wall.

The focus should be on the fact that partition has resulted in both communities living apart right across the statelet by design. Gerrymandering and a siege mentality(I include nationalists in that as well) as well as the 'we won't have a taig about the place' has resulted in that.

I.E. the statelet has failed all the people.

You're the the one making assumptions.

You said:

Pathetic, try again. In Detail how will we get unionists on board with a UI so we arent stuck with the same attitudes just flipped for the next 100 years

Is calling someone 'pathetic' right out the gate aggressive do you think?

You are inferring here that my saying they'll have equal rights and a government would amount to a flip of attitudes of the last 100 years, and requested more detail.

A vote and equality makes that a complete nonsense on your part.

What do you think any person of any tradition needs beyond equality, a vote and a government of their own?

Dublin is the capital. Its really that basic. We would be very foolish to consider setting up some other seat of government to placate people who would work against a UI. Once we have a UI we will all be equal. And getting back to my point, a UI would sort all the bickering and uncertainty due to the complete artificial murderous balls up that is partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Always wanting to blame a non-coproreal artifact for things that people do.

Always using lazy tropes in an attempt to score political points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

except they haven't gone from 18 to 59.

the original 18 have had planned extensions which were always planned to happen implemented later then they were due to be so.

a couple of other walls planned since the early 80s were finally built.

ultimately more walls have come down then have been implemented

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Yeah, I support a United Ireland.

I think it would interesting to see what would happen to Unionist parties in a United Ireland. A lot of people believe Sinn Fein would dominate politics in United Ireland, as atm they have the largest number of votes on the island of Ireland as a whole by a good bit, being by far the largest Nationalist party in the North & pretty much tied with FG & FF in the south. But I wonder, if a United Ireland did happen, would the UUP & DUP votes be transferred to Fine Gael, like how the southern Irish Unionist Alliance vote was transferred to Cumann na nGaedheal in 1922?

• Advertisement

I agree that nothing is set on stone on continued SF dominance in a UI.

Did FG see a portent of the future and begin cozying up to the DUP by inviting them to and applauding them at their party conference, one wonders? That hand wasn't long about being bitten.

Advertisement