Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Arkiema

Great win. Oisin went down just in front of us in the Hogan and the initial reaction was that it looked a really bad one. He got back up though and seemed ok, fingers crossed. He was absolutely immense tonight, these guys don’t come around too often but what an incredible talent. Special mention for DoC too & Plunkett belongs up the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

The championship is no more open than it was last year. Dublin have a lot of players to come back yet but they don't look like they will be the team to beat this year! We left am awful lot of scores behind us last night and I found some of the decisions on the sideline questionable!

But fantastic win and great experience for the new faces and that shoukd be division 1 status secured now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I don't think many last year would have considered the championship that open at the start of the year. At the start of the year, the majority were tipping Dublin, and it was only as it became obvious that they were sort of dragging themselves through the gears in the championship that people began to wonder if someone else would win (and that someone else was Kerry in most people's books). I think it's clear even at this early stage that it's up for grabs.

The management had us set up well last night imo. Our kickpassing was well rehearsed and well-executed in the conditions and we played some lovely stuff. A nice mix of Horanball and a kickpass game.

The only concern I had was that I felt some of the youth were fairly easily out muscled at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

By far the easiest game of the three played so far. We were rarely in less than total control.

Very worrying for performance for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

As well as quality and organisational issues, I was shocked at the poor work rate of some of the Dublin players. For Plunkett to pop over long range points not once but twice, under no pressure at all, would have been pretty rare under Gavins teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

To be honest, even after everything that's happened over the past decade, I still dislike Meath more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Same.

This is my own $hitlist

1) Meath

2) Dublin

3 ) Kerry

4) Tyrone, Donegal

5) Cork

Kerry will always be top of mine! I always ended up shouting for Dublin in the finals where we weren't playing them, probably because i have a lot of friends among the Dublin fanbase and as well as that, I always wanted it to be us to beat them!!

Kerry

Meath

Dublin

1. Kerry.

2. Meath.

3. Dublin.

4. Roscommon.

5.Donegal.

6. Laois/kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't think it's fair to include the Rossies on any list.

They deserve a list all to themselves.

It might be a crazy statement but is Diarmuid O'Connor one of the most underrated players in the game!?

Crazy in the sense that he has two won two young player of the years so he obviously has been rated at the highest level and regularly gets "rated" at the highest level... Maybe a better phrase would be, is he almost taken for granted.

The skill level on show from him was stunning for both goals on Saturday night. And I think he was extremely hard done by to be called for picking it off the ground for Mattie's disallowed goal. But the way he controlled the ball, palming it through Howards legs, while he himself was in the air and falling, is something you don't see normal people do.

It's like the game happens a bit slower for him over most players. Maybe he's missing 2-3 points a game to really get spoken off in the highest of high regards. Maybe he should be told to do a little less work(ing back) for the team and concentrate more of creating for himself and others to get there?

If that goal was allowed, I think it would have been annihilation tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Diarmuid was excellent the other night and hopefully he'll continue in that form for the rest of the year. It doesn't change the fact though that he has been pretty poor in general for the previous 2-3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is it exactly for me too !

Interesting that Galway don’t feature for any of us.

Thats a good old fashioned healthy rivalry in my opinion

Those deluded rossies on the other hand can’t be beaten half enough

I wouldn’t be a huge fan of Tyrone and their constant persecution complex but we had normally beaten them in big games until last year so didn’t mind !

Cant say I feel too strongly about any other county tbh . Even though they beat us in all the finals I don’t mind kerry or Dublin.

I quite like donegal to be fair . They are a county who face similar socioeconomic challenges to ourselves in terms of holding on to players .

It’s performances like Saturday night from Diarmuid that give us so luck hope for him. But they don’t come often enough . Be great if was more consistent this year. Would solve a lot of problems in the middle sector

A word for Robbie as well as I’ve often been critical of him. He has been absolutely superb . His kicking of the 45s if he can keep them going could be the point or two difference we need ……….

Rory Byrne will need a game before end of league though just in case . We were spoilt for years with Clarke and Robbie. It brought its own problems but we were so lucky to have a back up of almost equal quality

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I don't think that's fair. He was man of the match in the 2019 league final. Broke his wrist shortly afterwards which ruined his championship that year.

He had a very good championship in 2020. Got the key goal against Roscommon, got a goal vs tipp and did a great job in midfield tracking Fenton in the final.

Not a great last year admittedly but as Parlance said, much of his good work gets taken for granted. He creates a huge amount of chances even when not scoring himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Colin Sheridan had a good piece in the examiner, talked about Hennelly, it kinda articulated my thoughts on Hennelly a lot better than I could

"So then, to Robbie Hennelly, the Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music of this Mayo team. 

His recent run of good form has led some critics to declare him the best goalkeeper in the country at the moment. 

While this hyperbole will likely be ignored by the Breaffy man, it feeds into a paradoxical equation for Mayo, that best sums up their own perennial existential predicament; do you stick with something that so often works, sometimes beautifully, even poetically, but ultimately fails? 

Or do you twist, scared by the muscle memory of visceral losses for which you only have yourselves to blame?

Hennelly's abilities as goalkeeper, with both boot and hand, have never been in doubt. It’s only been in the red hot heat of finals that his vulnerabilities have been so brutally and cruelly exposed. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Any list like that which doesn't have Galway number 1 is void.

I'd have plenty of respect for Galway football to be honest.

Ya I was going to mention that, but is his "pretty poor" still at a level of most other players?

I just think he can do things that most can't even consider. And that we can take that for granted at times. We wouldn't have been in a final last year if he didn't somehow manage to get a leg to a ball that was gone wide. Nobody else stops that ball imo.

• Advertisement

I think that's a bit of lazy journalism that can be thrown at us myself. He has of course suffered in the hot heat of finals, he has also gone some way to putting them to bed as well. But like Mayo, he hasn't gone all the way... and until then, there'll be many an easy article written.

I live close to the border so my judgment may be clouded but they have a fairly high opinion of themselves when it comes to football. They would be slow enough to give Mayo any real respect as rightly or wrongly they see themselves as being equals to the Kerry's and Dublin's of this world in terms of pedigree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Agree 100%. Practically the entire team underperformed in the final against Tyrone. Yet the spotlight came on the keeper because it was deemed that he should have taken ball and player out when McShane got the goal. Very little about Oisin Mullen getting wrong side and letting McShane get goal side of him. Why was Mullen even marking him at that time. Complete mismatch in height. The poor lad will always be labelled with that first half meltdown in the replay with Dublin and which, as I 've said here before, he shouldn't have been put into that situation by Stephen Rochford.

I'm delighted that he is so on top of his game again. But one mistake again, and he will be back in the firing line. Nice interview with him too when he was receiving the man of the match award. Said that he thought a few other players might get it.

Truth is that Galway would make nobody's list because they've been an irrelevance for the last decade and probably two. Grand for an aul pig fight in Castlebar or Salthill but not in the conversation when you get to Croke Park, one win there in 15 years or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

IMO, he's been only okay for most of that period and he's a player I would have (rightly or wrongly) expected to be one of our standout performers. I had a look back at the 2020 match reports on WJs blog where he runs a poll for MOTM to see how Diarmuid has fared in them:

v Dublin, 5th on 7%

v Tipp, 10th on 1%

v Galway, not in the top 10

v Roscommon, 6th on 5%

v Leitrim, not in the top 10

v Tyrone, 7th on 3%

v Galway, not in the top 10

v Kerry, 4th on 9%

v Monaghan, not in the top 10

v Meath, 7th on 2%

v Dublin, 5th on 7%

v Donegal, 5th on 6%

So he's been in the top 5 in 4/12 games.

I also had a look at the same data for 2018 where he was in our top 5 in 6/10 games:

v Kildare, 1st on 43%

v Tipperary, 5th on 8%

v Limerick, didn't play

v Galway, 10th on 2%

v Donegal, 10th on 1%

v Tyrone, 2nd on 15%

v Kildare, 5th on 6%

v Dublin, 7th on 6%

v Galway, 3rd on 10%

v Kerry, 1st on 24%

v Monaghan, not in the top 10

I'm not trying to be negative about Diarmuid here, I think we all know the potential he has and hopefully he'll show it more consistently because a lack of scores from our HF line has been a weakness for us in the last few years

@MacDanger I think Horan's comments before the Dublin game are an acknowledgement that he hasn't been on the top of his form for a while... Not exactly sure what Horan said but it was something along the lines of him being refreshed/like a new player etc.

Re the poll results, I don't have the memory to go back but to my earlier point, I think we (as supporters) can take his performances for granted more so than any other player so the results may be always skewed a little against him. I think he was the MOTM myself from Saturday and despite being happy to see Robbie get it, I think Robbie knew himself as well and made reference to it.

On your last point about scoring, I agree and I think we would benefit from him being "less" of a team player at times. You'll find him in the FB line as often as the FF line. An extra 2-3 points a game would also mean he might be less taken for granted/get more headlines IMO. Not that he seems the type that needs headlines, but the team might be the better for him concentrating all his efforts in a more attacking sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

11 is by far Diarmuid’s best position. Leave him there for the year and he’ll show his ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Don’t forget nine all Ireland’s in the last seventy yrs including a three in a row..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Agreed, keep him central. He is a threat for opposition kickouts there, he is hugely effective on dirty ball and we seen flashes of creativity and ingenuity at the weekend that will create goal chances and put defenders in tough positions. Intelligent use of space and movement also. Its exactly what we have been missing.

Orme was impressive also. Very goal-conscious and crafty, touch of the gooch to him in that regard. That sideline ball at the end was a thing of beauty.

Re the most disliked county, galway at 1 for me due to the toxic attitude displayed by many of their fans.

Dublin probably at 2, again due to their fans point blank refusal to acknowledge the obvious re the investment the gaa directed their way, and the nature their media stuff has taken over the years.

3 probably tyrone - bad losers and overly hostile in the crowd at games. Also, made cynicism a tactic on the pitch yet see themselves as victims basically all the time.

Have good time for kerry, they do it the right way and rarely any media stuff in the run up to games etc.

Like donegal also as they are decent in general and quite like ourselves in a lot of ways.

• Advertisement

The donegal fans are great in fairness. By far the best bunch to lose an All ireland to 😃

You're correct, they're the Nottingham Forest of the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Bendybinn is on your side 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

I thought they get a chance every year...

• Advertisement

Like I said, yer an irrelevance

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mf 265

Bit like mayo on the roll of honour for all Ireland wins!!

Mod Edit

Threadbanned- warning issued..

Best not to engage, some users don't understand what a threadban means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

And I have heard similar from galway fans, seemingly all unaware of the fact that 2001 is now over 20 years ago, and that this win is not any more relevant to today than one from 70 years ago.

Galways all ireland final every year is the game against mayo, that is the reality.

The same supports were quick to abandon following Galway footballers where the success stopped. For all the abuse The Rossies get on here at least they travel and support their team through thick and thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Harsh on Peter, man had a point.

Conveniently neglected to mention took a mayo man to wins those all Ireland's and maybe he's waiting on a rochford or Horan to get them that all Ireland

FairPlay to Mayo though...The likes of Keegan and O Shea after losing seven all Ireland finals still coming back for more...great sportsmen...

Fair play to all the Galway panels who kept going to croke park for two decades without winning a game

Great sportsmen

:p

Agree, two decades is along time without success..... Hopefully things will change soon.

team and subs named.

Frank Irwin in for Paul Towey. Conor Loftus for Jack Carney, Fionn McDonagh for Brian Walsh, and Sam Callinan for Donncha McHugh.

Bench includes Aido and Conor O'Shea along with Paddy, Kevin McL, Fergal Boland and Brendan Harrison. Notable absences from the 26 from earlier teams this year - Jason Doc, Eoghan McLoughlin, Enda Hession and Brian Walsh.

• Rob Hennelly
    • Lee Keegan
    • Rory Brickenden
    • Michael Plunkett
    • Oisín Mullin
    • Stephen Coen
    • Sam Callinan
    • Jordan Flynn
    • Matthew Ruane
    • Fionn McDonagh
    • Diarmuid O’Connor
    • Conor Loftus
    • Aiden Orme
    • Frank Irwin
    • Ryan O’Donoghue

SUBS:

• Rory Byrne
    • Donnacha McHugh
    • Brendan Harrison
    • Paddy Durcan
    • Padraig O’Hora
    • Conor O’ Shea
    • Aidan O’ Shea
    • Kevin McLoughlin
    • Paul Towey
    • Jack Carney
    • Fergal Boland

I’m surprised Hession hasn’t seen more game time in the league given his semi final last year

• Advertisement
Advertisement