Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Look, I'm not gonna go into detail and derail the thread. I was posting here as I had an interest until I read about the reviews and the combat, so I'm no longer that interested. I don't like Soulsborne combat. Simple as that. I heard this may be different, but doesn't sound different enough for me to spend money on it.

I'm only checking this now on the off chance someone who, like me, doesn't like the Soulsborne combat and previous games plays this and gives an opinion from a non-fan of the games. Which judging by the feedback and other posters comments on this genre and not liking them, there's a good chance I'll see such a comment.

And you're right, I'm not into some things so I don't post in those forums. I am into gaming though......

Anyway, enough off topic, I won't be commenting more on it, people on here know my opinion, not all comments have to be positive when discussing a game. I hope those who like it enjoy it, and I've no doubt ye will.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It can depend on the game tbh. Open world games, it's often necessary to have some sort of way to track your content, what you've done, what you have left to do, what you can do....

Often it's integrated into the map. With previous Souls games it's often part of item descriptions in that some lines in the descriptions offer clues to something or somewhere you can use a specific item to do something that may not be apparent. But previous Souls games were also pretty linear.

So I think it's a fair enough point, but really depends on how those things are implemented as a whole. A journal as such might not be required if its functions are incorporated into other parts of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With a pc frame pacing is something you can Brute force. DS3 and sekiro were perfect with a decent rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Of all the things a souls game could add, i think a journal would be so out of place. I'm awful for remembering little details and Souls games can be so vague when it comes to quests. Like Solaire's quest in Dark Souls 1. Has anyone actually completed that without using a guide? Imagine if there had been a quest log listing the next step for the quest. Instead, you had a community trying to figure out how to keep him alive and complete the quest before sharing it with other players.

That's what i love about the community. Instead of the game telling you what to do, everyone is almost working together to figure it out. That would not work in most games just like a journal wouldn't work in this.

*Not a bash on journals in games or people who like them. I like the idea of games like assassin's creed giving lite versions and have you figure out next steps but i always lean on the full journal. Must choose the lesser version next time i play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Apparently he jumped at the chance as it proved a handy excuse to not write any more Game of Thrones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

the temptation is huge to buy elden ring on series x despite the fps drops just to be able play it early 🤔 prefer play it on ps5 but have i the patience 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There is a day one patch, not sure if reviewers had access to one as so few mentioned any performance issues with it you wouldn't know for sure but Digital Foundry were asked directly to not do an analysis without the day one patch which they agreed to....not sure how often they are requested to do that but maybe their thoughts will be up before release.

i think can play it around mid day if i switch region to new zealand on xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭walkonby

I preordered on Amazon but looks like zero chance they’ll ship for delivery tomorrow now. wonder would i be able to pick up a physical copy in smyths

edit: actually looks like Amazon have dispatched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Amazon have the launch edition with a few extra bits on PS5 for €54 if you have prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Fair play to Digital Foundry, it makes sense to do an analysis of a build of the game that the public will actually be playing.

Watched Fighting Cowboy's review and he had some significant performance issues on PC: Framerate dropped to 10fps at times and the game was progressively putting a huge strain on his computer's memory. He said he played a few hours on PS5 and didn't encounter those issues.

Hopefully the PC version gets sorted in time for those of you who are lucky to have gaming PC's!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH I also wish Sony would sort out their long-promised VRR patch for the PS5 as well, would help a lot with any frame rate stutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Goddamn you, I've just bought it for that. Worst case scenario is even if I absolutely suck at it and can't get into it I'll be able to sell / trade it and not lose anything. I really need to work on my self control 😆🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not quite sure where I hears this but I think it's Miyazaki trying to emulate a piece of gaming culture that is unique to Japan.

One of the most famous and influential games of all time is an arcade game called tower of duraga. It's one of the first dungeon crawlers and while it starts off easy enough later stages require the player to carry out certain objectives to open the door to the next stage. These objectives would be very obscure and not very intuitive, like only killing certain monsters, touching parts of the dungeon in order etc.

Anyway this lead to a lot of japanese arcades having notebooks that players could fill out to help each other and it became a community endeavor to help each other through this game.

I think this is why you have From funding it's game's wikis and Miyazaki putting in obscure items and hints in his games that sometimes do absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

so its unlocked on series X now to get through as much work as possible in as little time as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I received my Pre-Order bonus code from Smyths but its showing me 'no longer valid' anyone else run into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Seems they are only valid from launch Day.

'If you attempt to redeem your pre-order bonus key before redeeming the full game, you will receive the following error message "Please, activate the original game first". On the 25th, activate first your game, then redeem your pre-order bonus code.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Yes i have read that before too. The 'journal' is actually one of the most 'complaints' to the souls series but it is From's intention to not include it. It is definitely a topic that brought up again since this is the largest open world game from them - they just 'compensate' us with the world map + markers ha.

Personally i can see why they insist on not including 'journal' - because i never really use them in most games. We use wikia/guides from sites more anyway - and the process of going through guidelines/community, memorising/thinking what/where to do something - is all part of the immersive RPG experience.

Fucking hell, i think i will take it slow this time on ER, just chill and explore random stuffs and not read any guide until 100hours in ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

All Soulsborne games I've played, I've watched FightingCowboy's guides on Youtube (a video or two at a time), and then followed that path. Elden Ring will probably be the first game I play where I don't do that. But I'm going to finish Horizon Forbidden West before I jump into Elden Ring, so I hope most of the discoveries have been made and messages from other players will have been placed by the time I jump in.

• Advertisement

Just tried firing it up there with my region set to NZ and got the 1.89GB patch.

there is a live stream (probably promotional from From) on the previous souls games on youtube now ha:

(I think it just started so going through Demon's souls OST first)

set my location to NZ and bought it . says not unlocked yet and no sign patch ? even time on my xbox is NZ time

I'm literally sat here looking at the title screen, I already had it pre-installed mind.

That demons souls soundtrack slaps compared to whatever the hell they did with the remaster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I did the exact same with DS3 last year - just so I wasn't missing out on any good early weapons etc. Didn't care that I was years late to the party so to speak - just don't have a lot of time these days for gaming so I'm progressing at a much slower pace than most folks on here anyway. But I'll go in blind with Elden on release, looking forward to experiencing it at my own pace and maybe looking at the odd wiki to figure out something if need be.

working now 😍😍😍

wont be seeing the game until i got home tomorrow evening - so ye have fun for those lucky ones🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If it makes you feel better when I clicked the link to make sure it worked I also saw dying light 2 for €53 and ended up buying that as well.

Both for the backlog 🤣.

• Advertisement

Have to get some work done, so only played to the first fog gate. So far it feels really familiar which is good but also more Dark Souls evolved in terms of the movement and combat option. Loving the guard counter and the additional moves you now have on the weapons.

Started as Vagabond and he fat rolls out of the gate. Not a problem vs enemies so far but might have to lighten the load later.

Advertisement