Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q and A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭kirving

Sorry for the basic question but right now, if I buy an NI car, which was also first reg'd in NI, I only have to pay VRT + Nox like before?

Is there also a customs declaration to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Depends on reg date I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Provided there is proof that the car was in NI before 01/01/2021 afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Collecting a car up north tomorrow and need insurance sorted, car vrt is done but sites arent picking up on the new reg what are my options here folks? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Axa online quote can be got without using the reg number.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Cheers, ended up going with AXA just as a quick stop gap for today but will use cooling off period to cancel when I find a cheaper deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

how is this confirmed, is it on the car reg V5C ? like place of first registration ?

this is key to avoid paying VAT in south

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

So buying a car that was first registered in Northern Ireland from the UK will incur VAT?

And buying a car that was first registered in Northern Ireland from Northern Ireland will also incur VAT?

The only way to avoid paying VAT is to buy a car that was first registered in Northern Ireland from Northern Ireland, and the car has been in Northern Ireland since before 01/01/2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer some insight or advice regarding a VRT charge which is vastly higher than that indicated using the VRT calculator.

TLDR: The calculator returns €1,516 but I’m now told I must pay €3,895. WTF???

I purchased a 2015 Suzuki Swift Sport (1.6 litre, 3 door) from Northern Ireland a couple of weeks ago. This exact model was already listed on the VRT system under statistical code 40388724, described as follows:

Model: SWIFT 1.6

Make: SUZUKI

Version: 16V SPORT 136PS 3DR

The description above is clear, unambiguous and exactly matches the car I bought. When the registration date, mileage and NOx emissions are entered, the calculator comes up with a VRT charge of €1,516. So I expected to be charged that amount or least something close to it.

However, when I attended a VRT appointment, I was told that my car was not listed on the VRT system. The UK V5C registration document lists the model as a "Swift Sport", compared with "Swift 1.6" above. So I was told that a new VRT record would have to be created for this "Swift Sport", even though it’s exactly the same car! I rolled my eyes and wearily accepted that I would have to wait several more days for revenue to come back with a VRT amount, which I nevertheless expected to be at or close to €1,516.

Needless to say, my jaw hit the floor when I was told I would have to pay €3,895. I haven’t yet seen how this ludicrous charge has been calculated. I was given a statistical code for this assessment but it isn’t recognised by the VRT calculator.

Before going any further with this, I wanted to see if anyone here is aware of other hapless motorists being subjected to similar attempts at daylight robbery. What is going on here? What are my options for dealing with this nonsense and what are my chances of success? Any info or advice appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Sorry I'm no use to you.

That's bullshit.

Have you written back with the stat code for the 1.6 sport above?

No I haven't done anything yet ... still shell shocked! I'm told that I have to pay the requested charge in full before I can appeal it. Hence, I want to try and figure out what the hell is going on before I go any further with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

Hi guys, was hoping someone here might be able to help me with a very specific question I have.

I'm currently based on the continent but I've just accepted a new job back in Ireland starting in a few months. My gf is English and lives in the UK and once I'm setup back home she will be moving to join me. It's likely to be 6 months before she relocates permanently. She already owns a vehicle she's planning to bring with her and has had it several years so we won't have any trouble with getting a tax exemption when she relocates.

Now I don't own a car and I was wondering would it be possible for her to buy a second car in the UK, keep it for the minimum 6 months, and bring both with her when she relocates? From anything I read online as long as she has owned and made use of the vehicle for more than 6 months she would be exempt from having to pay anything at the time of relocation. I can't find anything online that would limit this to one vehicle, does anyone have any idea if she would be challenged if we did this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

The explanation is quite simple. If you check the VRT calculation you got, you will see there is an OMSP and a VRT rate

I found a Suzuki Swift on the calculator with a VRT rate of 30%, and an OMSP of €4,200. That gave a VRT price of €1,350.

Your exact model wasn’t on the calculator, so Revenue create a new model and have to determine an OMSP. They do this by going on Donedeal and seeing how much the car is worth here in Ireland

I can see the car is worth anywhere from €9,000 to €12,000. So lets say Revenue took a value of €10,000, and a VRT rate of 30%, that would mean your new VRT price would be €3,000.

Basically the reason the new VRT is so much more is because the calculator undervalued your car and was giving an artificially low VRT amount. If your logbook details had of matched the calculator details you would have paid the lower amount, but because it was sent to Revenue they determined a new amount.

It’s happening to loads of people at the moment, me included. I think they have copped that the calculator is drastically undervaluing cars and they are being sent to Revenue to determine a new value, and thus a new VRT price.

There aren’t really any grounds to appeal unfortunately, unless the new value they gave your car is more than what it actually is.

Thanks for your feedback. Absolutely gutted if this is the case. I never would have purchased the car with a VRT charge like that.

Yes, I know that the VRT calculator only provides an estimate and that the actual charge may differ somewhat.

The VRT enquiry webpage states that "You can use it to: estimate the VRT charge on a car or small commercial vehicle".

However, €1,516 is not an "estimate" of €3,895. With accuracy like that, their calculator is worse than useless.

More of the unique blend of incompetence and kleptocracy that we've come to expect from the parasitic gombeens who "run" our country ... into the ground.

Can you expand a bit dodzy?

Basically buying a car from the UK is out if you want to avoid VAT.

So if you were to buy from Northern Ireland, what criteria need to be met to avoid VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A UK car in NI before 1/1/21 would also avoid VAT.

Any NI car on NI from day 1 is safe

(Unless it's very new, less than 6 months old, as was always the case)

Ah ok, thanks for that.

So a 7 month old EV would still get the guts of €5k vrt rebate, plus no VAT, plus no NOx?

Edit: Even though the strong sterling takes the good out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As well as being at least 6 months old, it needs to have at least 6000km on the clock to avoid being treated as a brand new car and subject to VAT.

VRT rebate on EVs with an OMSP of up to 40k - https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/electric-and-hybrid-vehicles.aspx#:~:text=Vehicles%20with%20an%20Open%20Market,of%20up%20to%20%E2%82%AC5%2C000.&text=Reliefs%20have%20been%20removed%20for,VRT%20until%2031%20December%202023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

Hi Folks,

Ive bought a car in the UK, its been a while since I have done this and Im trying to get my head around the import process, specifically the customs declaration, do I need to use a customs agent or is there some way I can self declare ( doesnt appear obvious on rev.ie), any help appreciated, DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oisinmc11

I have a VRT appointment next week and I have the UK log book but 2 sections on the right hand side are gone as long as I have the rest will I be okay , I have proof it was in the north before 2021 in the sense of service invoices etc and all the forms filled in , is there anything I’m missing thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

OK a friend won a car on an online raffle... English car... What's he looking at?

Vat? Vrt and Nox

How is the Vat calculated

And duty probably.

Vat is on the UK invoice price plus any delivery costs.

In the case of a car won on a raffle, I'd imagine a copy of invoice from supplying dealer and maybe cover letter from raffle company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

OK thanks I think he's going for a cash option now, not viable to import it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stephentracey

HI Looking to import a 2021 volvo xc90 car from the Uk has anyone on here used the Returned Goods Relief rule to get the customs duty off

if a car is imported to the EU within 3 years of being exported from the EU it will quality for returned good relief and be subject to 0% customs. If a car was exported from Germany in 2019 and imported to Ireland in 2021 then it will qualify for returned goods relief and 0% customs. So typically if you buy a car less than 3 years old in the UK it will qualify for returned goods relief. A key thing to be aware of is this relief is based on when the car was imported to the UK, not the date of registration so just because it was registered less than 3 years ago it doesn’t mean it will get the relief.

Also has anyone got the vat off a garage in the uk when buying there car as a private individual and was the process hard to get the car with 0 vat on the invoice .

thanks

We would all like definite answers to those 2 questions.

I've had UK based exporter companies say they can handle a car purchase (vat qualifying car) ex UK vat to Ireland for a fee so it's certainly possible it would seem to buy ex vat.

I say someone in the trade here would be best to ask re the duty as you can be sure they are already claiming this relief if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve bought cars from BCA ex VAT but you have to be VAT registered to do that. Still have to pay 23% VAT and 10% customs when they arrive here as they were over 3 years old.

There was a Revenue document going around outlining exactly what you are asking. I will try find it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Hi folks. I bought a car in the UK 11 years ago, that I have had since and has served me incredibly well.

It seems at the moment, based on comments and public information that there is little or no saving to be had by buying a car in the UK today, along with a lot of added hassles.

The NI option seems more plausible, but based on the experience above still fraught with risk as there no way of knowing definitively what the VRT would be.

My general view now is that I'm better off buying here, particularly as I might get €1500 or so for my current car = that there just arent savings, even if buying in the North.

I know this is a very basic question - but am I ballpark correct in my assessment, or not correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

sorry if this has been covered but looking to see peoples experiences

reading the rules my understanding is if i purchase a car in the UK that was built in the UK there is no

duty or VAT, is this correct? has anyone succeeded with this approach with customs??

Advertisement