Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He just generally seems a lot more sombre since lockdown started almost 2 years ago... like, he was always a bit of an upbeat joker fella, copying peoples celebrations, big smiles and all that. But since all that stuff started, it seems he's never really recaptured himself (I'm sure a lot of people can relate to be honest!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hard to believe that after beating Norwich, Man City went 12 points ahead, that was February 12th, 12 days ago. Has there ever been such a narrowing at the top in such a short period? Not that I can remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Need trophies 🏆

Im uncomfortable celebrating too much until there is something to show for it.

#wetblanket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

We have played three times as many games as them since then 😋

But it's great to turn games in hand into points. Definitely feel like we've got the wind in our sails now. They're rightfully still favourites, but it's great to be right back in the fight again

Shame in a way we're not getting to play Arsenal in the league this weekend, and City could go six clear again, but obviously a cup final is a good reason to miss it!

City to play Everton, away. What a weekend it would be to lift the cup and Everton took points off a nervous (hopefully) City.

Would be amazing!

Everton could easily go into the relegation zone if they lose. Newcastle level with them and playing Brentford, Burnley only two points back and at Palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Mo has changed Mane but for the better

Mane as you said used to be happy go lucky lad, since Mo came in Mane has seen he can reach another level but to do so there is no time for messing about its about serious work,

I don't think there is even a question about it Mane has raised his game to try to be like Mo & he is now far more serious about his football ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

It's amateur hour psychology on my part, but I wonder how big a boost Sadio got from the AFCON? A huge achievement for an African player to captain his side to an AFCON win, in practical terms the biggest trophy an African team can win*. Since he's come back, he looks really sharp and on it, seems to be benefiting too from playing centrally more. I'd imagine he's on cloud 9 right now, he's absolutely flying.

I wouldn't be putting any faith on Frank's boys to get one over on City, they are even more of a defensive mess in recent weeks, so I see a City stroll to be honest.

*I know in theory an African team can win the World Cup, but in reality they haven't gone past the 1/4 finals yet, so in real terms the AFCON is practically the big trophy open to African players internationally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think the most we can realistically hope for from Everton is that they keep the score down.

City should tear them apart comfortably imho

• Advertisement

Yep, there's a chance that Everton can be in the relegation places before they can even kick off v City.

Still, I think City will take the Spurs result out on Everton and give them a whipping.

I actually felt going into the Afocn final it would do us more good if Mane won it,

Mo was going to be ruthless either way & now probably feels he needs to prove himself more,

Mane i felt needed the shot of confidence to know he himself is a super star & will forever now be a icon in Senegal ,

Losing to Mo could have left him always feeling in his shadow but to score the winning goal must have been a massive boost of confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It was bound to give him a boost in confidence which is exactly what he needed most. Another factor could be him playing a more central role the last few games. He certainly looks more confident recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

This aged well for me from the last game - delighted he got his goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Don't get carried away. In the last 5 league games Everton have lost to Norwich, Aston Villa, Newcastle and Southampton and they beat Leeds. Lampard is not Benitez and is unlikely to deliver a result that is favorable to Everton never mind Liverpool.

In the reverse fixture last November, Benitez set them up to frustrate City, Demaral Gray got injured early on and that heaped more pressure on the Everton defense. Sterling scored just before half time and it looked like the flood gates would open in the second half but they managed to keep their discipline and the final score was 3-0.

Everton dominated the game against Newcastle but couldn't score, they lost 3-1 and the goal scored was an o.g., Southampton beat them 2-0 and it should have been a lot more, it was a case of more luck than skill that kept the score down.

Given their loss against Tottenham and how our result affected the goal difference, Man City are going to trounce them. The Everton supporters appeared to be happy chappies when their team were getting beaten 5-0 by Man City on the final day of last season so it will be interesting to see their reaction to a similar result now.

I think he's more serious/intense - he wants to win and has put more pressure on himself. He looks frustrated when he misses opportunities that he should score and when he scores incredible goals he's not satisified. I'm not sure whether that is related to the lockdown or whether it's a conscious decision by him in an effort to be the best he can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

City are going to absolutely pummel Everton this weekend. They will be gunning to get that Spurs performance out of their system and Liverpool adding 6 goals to their tally will lead me to think there will be no mercy shown this weekend. Everton are in big trouble in this fixture with Frank at the helm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you watch The End of the Storm documentry Mane say himself how hard it is for him during that time of the pandemic being single and living alone when his family couldn't travel.

As you say a lot of people can relate to that and the effects of the last two years and I'm sure it will be seen for years to come on the mental of some people who spent it living alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mané has lost his first touch so has had to try and change his game. A couple of goals every now and then doesn't disguise the fact that he isn't the player he once was. Every other game, we are slating him for repeated failures to do the simple things right. I think he has gotten more serious because of his disappointment with the deterioration of his game. If Mo wasn't about to take the focus of defenders, Mané would be completely exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The task for the rest of the league season is win every game. That would be 18 in a row, sounds ridiculous but to beat City to it that is what we need to do. They already won 15 in a row this season, so that is the level we need to be at. Don't be sitting around hoping City will drop a load of points, they won't.

Personally i think Mane has just lost confidence, has his form dipped yes but he is still one of the best wide forwards in the world,

Can you think of a game where there full back hasn't had a torrid time with him, even games where we all give out,

He is 3 goal's in all comps form equalling last seasons tally & already level with his Prem total for last year,

He is still fantastic but judged against Mo who is other worldly , ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Crazy that Mane and Salah can sign mega deals else where in 10 short months. Mane is a weird one, as he was never on a big wage compared to others in the team, so here he is, sign a new contract for less money? As that is what Liverpool will do to him, using his age as a why. Or he can leave, and easily get 250k a week at Bayern, Barcelona or Atletico. The man was always worthy of at least 200k a week the past 3 years

Sounds very difficult but if you say we just need to win one more game than City in the remaining games ( & not get beat there) it sounds a bit easier,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thats the whole thing about the wage structure by giving Salah what he wants. Mane isn't going to accept 250k when Salah is on 400k. Van Dijk will want a new deal etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Is Mane not seeing Melissa Reddy since after lockdown?

I would believe her rumours more if so... 😉

VVD singed a new deal last summer along ,with Fab ,Trent, Allison & Robbo ,

All done first & tied down because the club knew that Salah's new deal would be a massive one & others would demand similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I thought these words from Neil Atkinson on the Ukraine sitatuation were very well expressed.

Liverpool last night and Liverpool recently have been reminiscent of Liverpool from 2018 to 2020.

But, as an early aside, in remembering 2018 I can't help but remember Kyiv, Shevchenko Park and everything all that entailed back then. Remembering the people. As trivial as it may seem to observe, that stage, that day is my Twitter header. That happened because of a great many people, some here but crucially also including the ordinary people of Ukraine.

Many of us (myself very much included by the way) end up forcing some degree of geopolitical knowledge or overarching view when events such as those unfolding around Ukraine happen. That's fine, it's human. But that shouldn't happen at the expense of forgetting the actual humans, the actual people, the ones who right now will be terrified, some running, some staying but all fundamentally stricken to their core. Ordinary people were ours and Madrid's hosts for a few days in 2018 and now and for the foreseeable future they will need our care and attention.

It's ordinary people, every day people, like us, that make life worth living and it is those people who will be most horrendously impacted by what happens when people who deem themselves extraordinary get big ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

On a separate note, this season is feeling very similar to 18/19, with us chasing city and the head-to-head game looking pivotal.

I was looking at the head to head - we haven't beaten city since 2019 - lots of draws in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Melissa Reddy

"Some of what we’re subjected to is insane: a post-award presentation picture from 2017, of me with Sadio Mane, has been used as “proof” we’re in a relationship. Google it. A tabloid editor wanted to write about this fictional love story in their entertainment pages. Seriously!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I really don't believe we have a bunch of cry babies at the club, we are Liverpool, a certain type of personality plays for Liverpool. I believe all the other players actually want Salah to be a super star, on a super star wage.

As for Mane, he'd be happy to extend at current rate, but I think club will offer less than he has already, and that's not right. I think he'll leave, and get 250k else where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'd say some rag like the S*n printed that shite then if that's the case...

Edit: they're somehow the same article, the guardian one there is better

And another one! Nice Telegraph interview, though nothing unexpected in it

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2022%2F02%2F24%2Fcaoimhin-kelleher-interview-earning-jurgen-klopps-trust-joining%2F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We won the title two years ago at the start of a world changing Global pandemic.

Whats the chances we win it two years later at the start of a world changing World war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

18 years old. Crazy mature.

Would be amazing to get him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

We should be going all out for him. I keep saying it but he could be a starting midfielder for us for the next 10 years and he'd still only be 28.

Liverpool Football Club has today filed its consolidated financial accounts for the year to May 31, 2021.

Summary of the financial period:

• Covers period when LFC won the Premier League, its 19th league title
    • Significant impact on matchday revenue, dropping by nearly 95 per cent
    • Media revenue rose by £64.5m to £266.1m
    • Commercial revenue rose by £0.2m to £217.6m
    • Overall revenue down by £3m to £487m
    • Loss before tax fell by £41.5m to £4.8m

From winning the Premier League to playing games without supporters, this reporting period covers an unprecedented time for Liverpool Football Club, on and off the pitch.

The first full year of financial results impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic reveals matchday revenue fell from £70m to £3m, a drop of 95 per cent.

There was an increase in media revenue, from £201m to £266m, because of the prolonged 2019-20 Premier League season, which fell outside of the previous reporting period.

Commercial revenue also rose slightly from £217.4m to £217.6m. Although there was an impact to non-matchday commercial revenues during the period, including retail stores, stadium tours and the museum closing due to the pandemic, there was still strong growth in partnerships sales. A total of 13 new partnerships were announced, including Nike, Expedia, Amazon, Quorn and SC Johnson.

This period also saw record-breaking kit sales with the new Nike partnership and mobile transactions increased by 89 per cent on the club’s online retail store. Three new physical stores were opened in Thailand and Singapore.

The club’s social media channels surpassed 100m followers, which included 30m on Instagram, 20m on Twitter and more than 4m on TikTok. LFC also became the most engaged club in the Premier League across all social channels, with a total of 1.43bn engagements.

On the pitch, 12 new players signed for the club during this financial period, which included bringing in world-class talent like Diogo Jota and Thiago Alcantara, while 12 player contracts were renewed, including Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Harvey Elliott.

Andy Hughes, LFC’s managing director, said: “These latest results demonstrate the significant financial impact of the global COVID pandemic, which affected all areas of the business.

“We have worked really hard these past years to get us into a really strong and sustainable financial position. Despite navigating through a very challenging and uncertain period, overall revenue remained flat, demonstrating the underlying financial strength of the business.

“It’s been an unprecedented time on and off the pitch. Our men’s team winning our 19th league title was a truly fantastic achievement, but not having supporters in the stadium to share the moment was not how we wanted it to be. Our women’s team also continues to grow and the hard work and strategic changes to the women’s section is seeing a challenge for promotion to the WSL this season.

“The continued support from our ownership has seen over £130 million invested in infrastructure over the past three years and we are delighted with the great progress being made on the Anfield Road expansion project, which will see the capacity of Anfield rise to 61,000, on completion in 2023.

“It is imperative, however, that we continue to live within our means and operate within football’s regulations and financial fair play. But we’ll continue to reinvest on and off the pitch to further strengthen our position and compete at the highest levels right across the club.

“We are hopefully nearing the end of the pandemic but our priority remains to keep people safe. We’ll also continue to do great work in the community to support those who live in and around Anfield and across the city region, particularly those who have been impacted by the pandemic.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Those numbers looks unbelievably good for the period it covers and all the challenges that came with it.

And we still managed to improve the squad without making any major losses financially. Outstanding work again by FSG.

• Advertisement

Him and Tielemans (who I was fairly non-plussed about but after some research could be a great signing) would set up the midfield nicely.

What kind of a midfielder is Bellingham is he old school box to box a bit like Hendo

I’ll be honest and say I am not sure. I’m probably buying into the hype a bit. I think it’s mostly because he is a fan of the club and has said Gerrard is one of his favourite players.

There is a part of me too that would like Klopp to stay longer and by getting in smart, sensible and talented younger players (Elliot, Diaz, Jota, Carvalho, Bellingham) might make him rethink leaving. This was the same with Fergie at Utd - I think he just liked the passion from some of the younger players and kept him from getting cynical and jaded. Klopp is a bit like that too I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think Klopp could absolutely stay another few years, if it was purely his decision.

However, he made promises to his family that he'd finish up at the end of this contract (he was due to finish this year under the same promise, we're very lucky he extended another 2 years onto it).

He doesn't seem like the type that'll go back on his word, as much as we'd all love him to stay. I'm sure the club are already scouting potential replacements, and I doubt they'll be established big names.

One name I expect to see linked to the job over the coming two years is Ruben Amorim. A young, charismatic coach who commands respect and manages to develop massive buy-in from his players to his methods and philosophy, according to what I've read of him. He just sounds exactly like what FSG want in a Liverpool manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Unbelievable that we now have our best ever squad after all that.

Just like anyone else who's married it all really boils down to Jurgens wife,

If his wife is happy with life as it is right now she may want him to continue ,she may feel that being Liverpool manger is now part of his identity,

No other job in the world where he will be revered & loved like Liverpool ,

Lets not forget the chap gets 2months off every summer , unlike every other job ,

Haven’t heard of Ruben Amorim. Cheers for that. Will have a Google.

I think Pep Ljinders is a more likely prospect for manager. The tweaks to the gung-ho heavy metal approach to the playing style were his ideas, his influence on Klopp's thinking is why Buvac left the club. The training program that has been implemented at all levels of the club are his. He's the natural successor to Klopp and has refused to speak about the possibility when asked. His contract also expires in 2024 and all he has said on the matter is that he will be seeking a manager position when his current contract ends.

• Advertisement

Advertisement