Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think it's a mistake to let ROL go! This lad plays across the back field, and plays well. I understand that TOB is a similar type player and Osborne is highly regarded. I can only think that the money is a factor.

This squad will look different next season. There's the retirements to consider and the academy promotions. I fully expect Cronin and Toner to retire! I would also think that COB and Adam Byrne will not be re signed. Then there's the rumored Dooley exit to Quins and Dunne and Charlie Ryan leaving for Exeter.

So, who gets promoted from the academy? I assume Osborne is a cert, Maloney a possibility and Jack Boyle also. Liam Turners prospects are not good in my view, especially with the current crop of centers playing for the u20's. I think Russell may be promoted along with Soroka. Regardless, this time next season this squad will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

TOB as it stands offers pretty much everything ROL does. And has a higher ceiling. No point having 2 wage bills. Especially not with game time so hard to come by now.

Without meaning to sound overly facetious... the squad looks different every season. A rugby squad is an organic thing. People move on people step up. It's natural.

The current year 3s are Deeny, Foley, Moloney, Ryan and Turner.

Given the shortage of stocks and the lack of other academy options, I can see Foley being given a year dev deal. Moloney probably done enough for a 2 year but it depends if any back rows leave...

I think the writing is on the wall for Deeny, Ryan and Turner. Deeny might get the rarely seen 4th year in academy given this season was an injury write off. But J McCarthys profile might mean curtains for Deeny.

Jack Boyle is year 1 and has played little senior rugby. It would be lunacy to promote him until after next season at least. Unless some other provinces come sniffing after the 6N offering him a dev deal which Leinster would have to match.

Osborne currently year 2 but probably has his senior deal pencilled in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Leinster v Munster game rescheduled to Saturday 21st May at 7:35pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Is Brian Deeny leaving at the end of the season? I heard there was a young second row moving provinces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Will Jenkins start alongside Ryan in the first choice XXIII? Molony will hope to retain his starting place, obviously. Baird looks a good fit for the bench whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

15. Max O’Reilly (7)

14. Tommy O’Brien (15)

13. Jamie Osborne (12)

12. Harry Byrne (30)

11. Dave Kearney (171)

10. Ross Byrne (116)

9. Nick McCarthy (42)

1. Ed Byrne (77)

2. James Tracy (135)

3. Michael Ala’alatoa (12)

4. Devin Toner (273)

5. Joe McCarthy (1)

6. Josh Murphy (53)

7. Dan Leavy (76)

8. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN (199)

Replacements:

16. Seán Cronin (200)

17. Peter Dooley (98)

18. Thomas Clarkson (11)

19. Jack Dunne (16)

20. Max Deegan (76)

21. Luke McGrath (163)

22. Adam Byrne (62)

23. Scott Penny (34)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is Ross Moloney injured? I can't really understand why he'd be out of the 23 otherwise. He's better than all the locks in the squad, he's not an international, he's not really overworked, I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Delighted to see Leavy back. I hope he finally gets an injury free run of games.

Lots of rotation in the back 5 of the pack as well. Surprised that Penny and Deegan, our two best players from last week, don't get a start. It's still a quality backrow however.

• Advertisement

Not a bad side. Toner should not be starting, imo. Why is HB at center?

Jenkins will probably ride the bench when everyone is fit. I'm not enthusiastic about this signing. But, he may be a decent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It seems crazy that Dan Leavy only has 76 caps. I know hes been injured but its so strange to see.

It's crazy all right! It is great to have him back. But, I always have a sense of dread for him when he plays. It's a shame that he's suffered these injuries.

Will Connors has on a couple of dozen Leinster caps! He's been plagued with injury too.

Congratulations to Rhys! 200 caps! A great player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Delighted to see Harry Byrne at 12 again - I'm liking this experiment much more than I was expecting.

Molony has a serious mileage this season. He has the most minutes and it's not close to second place.

Earned a week off

Fear Toner could be exposed in this, he is miles off the required level these days in open play and at the ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,656 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In current form I'd rather see Molony start big games than Baird, so he can't play every URC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why is HB Center?

Basically because of Frawley’s face.

though it has given us an opportunity to get both brothers game time. Build Harry’s confidence and given us good insight to our options of having a second playmaker at 12. They are both stepping in at 10 and it allows them to play to their strengths. It has been very encouraging so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Molony is with the Irish squad

• Advertisement

Congrats to Joe McCarthy on the huge milestone of his 137th cap (assuming you average out him and his second row partner...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm guessing he's been injured but haven't heard Max O'Reilly's name in a while. He looked ok in parts when he previously came into the side. Be interested to see if he is maturing nicely as a 15. It's an area we always need cover in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t think anything was announced but he was pictured at training today, presume as cover for Henderson. Has he ever been capped?

Still uncapped. Was there or thereabouts in the summer but Wycherly got capped over him.

Still time yet. He's only 27

Michael Milne extended his contract with Leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How long has it been since he played?

hasnt played this season due to injury.

highly rated prop though, huge power.

Yep, I think Milne will be a great player for us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ruddock signed a new contract.

this drip feed of new contracts is bloody painful

Advertisement