Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Bombed and maimed are the words you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

It's an inter imperial conflict, of course I mention other countries. Russia's aggression is wrong, their actions here are wrong, the aggression and expansion of NATO is wrong too but you've no issue with NATO nor it seems do you have any issue with the rank hypocrisy of countries like the US, the UK and Israel bombing countries while condemning Russia...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"Russia invading is wrong but"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Terrible to see these scenes in Europe in 2022. The democratic nations of the world need to deliver the stiffest financial sanctions available. Treat the country like an international pariah and ban it from international events of sporting and cultural significance. Condemn the apologists within each country (we have plenty here such as Mick Wallace, Clare Daly et. al).

If democracies dither and show weakness now it will have even more disastrous effects in the long run. You know China are watching this closely, and you'd fear for Taiwan if this Putin invasion goes unchallenged by the free world. Much respect to the decent Russians that are protesting the Kremlin gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

this Is the day that has changed everything

we are at war with Russia

NATO is finished, the EU as it exists may collapse, how people in Europe live will never be the same again.

the welfare state is done, green polices done, multiples of Billions will need to spent on an military.

today has changed everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You're a disgrace and an embarrassment to yourself.

You'd think you'd clear off after making a clown of yourself mocking posters saying the iVAsioN wILl NEveR haPPEn. Yet, you're back for more.

Putinbot, crank, conspiracy theorist.

Just get lost and start a thread about Israel, have fun with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ahh what? Kinda sounds like you're just ticking off a list of things you personally dislike there.

I had never used my Ignore list before but I did a while ago for that poster. Don't even dignify them with an argument. They're not on the level and they're wasting your time with their whataboutery, apologist nonsense.

you are very naive if you think any different

today is the day that killed globalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,890 ✭✭✭✭josip

How much can the West realistically squeeze the Oligarchs? Can they differentiate between 'good' Oligarchs and 'bad' Oligarchs?

Eg, could they seize a football club or a yacht in territorial waters? Or would they be restricted in what they could do by their own Western legal systems?

I can't believe they haven't already agreed to kick Russia out of Swift. If a full scale invasion of Ukraine doesn't warrant it, what does, nuking Vilnius?

• Advertisement

...and solved climate change too going by the rest of your list?

Oh and NATO is dead because...they didn't defend a country who's not a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hahaha ya go down the road there and tell the lads on the dole that we are winding it up cause of Russia.

If anything this war makes green energy more of a priority for Ireland.

Fkn looper stuff

It depends on if they really have the appetite for it or not. Any country can implement laws to seize assets and ban people if they want. The thing is a lot of those people are, nay all of those people, are wealthy and powerful - not just in Russia but in the others countries that they live. Just look at all the oligarchs who have been donating to the British Conservative party. Wealthy and powerful people usually are able to avoid punishment. Let's see if this time is any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s the issue that seems to have been swept under the carpet by the news media….why should he stop at the Ukraine ?

You’d wonder what Obama, Bush, Clinton and Carter are thinking watching this ‘performance’ from Biden and indeed the lack of leadership, deterrent, clarity and lack of conscionable actions….

Naive to think this ends with Ukraine. Sad it took today to wake People up to the fact that we are at war with Russia and China

and if you are at war with someone you don’t buy most of your energy from one and and get the other to make everything for you.

globalisation is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

i Particularly liked the "iVasioN wILl NEver haPPEn" bit 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sure glad we closed all those peat fired power plants

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The green agenda is in the bin lads. COP26 just a faint memory.

This is about keeping the lights on now. If that means burning peat and coal and heavy fuel oil and waste materials to generate power, then thats what will happen.

All other considerations are secondary to the protection of Europe, its economy and its way of life. Industrial capacity will have to be assigned somewhat to reinforcing the militaries of NATO and indeed the non-aligned States, so there won't be a whole lot of room for energy innovation, maybe for decades if this goes very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm not seeing how Biden has conducted foreign policy massively differently from his predecessors, other than the Afghanistan withdrawal. IMO Putin could have decided to call any of their bluffs like this and I don't know that they would be responding much differently.

The EU know it has to become energy and food self sufficient

the EU will need to move more manufacturing in-house and invest massively in military

the welfare state and green polices as we know it are finished

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know these are seismic, generational events but the degree of hyperbole is off the charts here. Given few were even sure Putin would invade, I'd be slow to make any wild pronouncements about the overall future of the world's economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Putin has brought us to the piss or get off the pot point. The Ukraine stands alone militarily because NATO (obviously) realise that any interference would trigger WW3. Putin's words early this morning spelled out very clearly what any interference would result in. It could just be tough talk, but I found it frightening. He's a mad man. I'm actually surprised there isn't more commentary on the potential for some kind of Nuclear war in the not so distant future. I guess it all depends on where Putin draws the line in tandem with NATO still feeling secure. I chatted to a former colleague in Moldova today and she feels very scared. I'm not saying it's a widespread fear, but just a snapshot of what I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's just Boards. A thread can only go on so long before certain posters start interfering with themselves while spouting rubbish about climate change, Trump or "woke libtards"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The US has always stood with the EU and visa versa… in terms of trade, diplomacy and security.

there are multiple US military bases and installations throughout the EU so it’s two way..

but it seems Joe…. I’m not sure sanctions will go far enough .. Putin will go further…

the EU is at risk, this is not an attack on Ukraine, this is Putin and Russia… TAKING the Ukraine…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

No. They were demolished and the bogs that fed them are on the way out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah but Putin 'took' Crimea and Obama let him away with it. This is just an escalation of the same strategy.

As a wise man once said about power more generally, 'deterrence' is a trick, a shadow on the wall. If a nuclear-armed Russian or Chinese leader wants to face it down, call America/NATO's bluff, how does any president respond effectively in a way that doesn't spark WW3?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

is www.rt.com being blocked in Ireland?? can't access it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭obi604

Really silly question time. I see the Russians have captured Chernobyl, what is the significance of this? Sure it was a ghost town anyway with not much defences etc.

Advertisement