Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Strange the way people are shiiting all over him now as he seems to agree that omicron is the natural vaccine the world needed and has completely changed the situation in a positive light - they don't like good news.

Same people loved him when he was all doom and gloom in 2020... strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I have no clue who he is now and didn't know who he was then. I'd imagine that goes for the vast majority of the population.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

I have always taken vitamin supplements, have natural honey daily and eat healthy. Go to gym 3 nights a week. Rarely drink, don’t smoke.

even before covid I would have believed many people lead very unhealthy lives , the amount of fat kids is unreal.

imagine parents giving their children McDonald’s, I would not give to a dog.

obesity is a serious threat to our health system, why won’t someone do something

What would you suggest? Everyone knows that junk food is bad and fruit and vegetables are good. Like the face mask restriction, it should be down to personal choice.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If I had to guess, next year

Removal of this will require pan-European agreement and the Italians, Portuguese and French are all pushing for local vaccine passports so are unlikely to accept the removal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Worldwide cases fell by 21% last week. It's been falling for three weeks and fully vaccinated rates are heading for 60%. Between that and the level of natural immunity Omicron has built up that means fewer and fewer places for this new variant to emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

I see Pat Kenny is **** over some new b2 variant ... praying and hoping it's more severe than omicron, God he's a ghoul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It reminds me of them homeless people you see in the movies when they are scraping the bottom of the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Quags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MOR316

Luke O'Neill, clawing at mask wearing and anything else he can so he doesn't have to give up his media appearances.

An utter charlatan!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So antigen tests were a load of nonsense:

“The proportion of infectious people with SARS-CoV-2 missed by LFTs is substantial enough to be of clinical importance. The proportion missed varied between settings because of different viral load distributions and is likely to be highest in those without symptoms. Key models have substantially overestimated the sensitivity of LFTs compared with empirical data."

Less than 50% sensitivity. We should have known when the Brits went all in on them that they were useless.

I’m sure their proponents in here who argued we should have opened up on the basis of them will ignore this but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I posted here early on that it would take something like 9-11 to get Covid off the media agenda. Looks like Putin has provided it. Expect very little if any Covid nonsense from here on out. Unfortunately it’s taken the deaths of many innocent people to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's certainly one view to take. The study was based on people without symptoms so it's not that surprising really. Even if they are 50% effective on asymptomatic (ie not sick) people it still catches enough to break the line of transmissions and help stop the spread. The other point in that study is they try to define 2hat is infectious. Best of luck with that one as nobody has a scooby-doo when an asymptomatic person is infectious or not.

The study falls into the bracket of "don't let perfectly get in the way of good"

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Show that you didn't understand without saying that you didn't understand."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But they AREN’T 50% effective for asymptomatic people, that’s the point. And even the rate of sensitivity for symptomatic people was over estimated.

It’s over now, vaccination and mutations have combined to get us across the finish line at a societal level, but the calls to open up before time on the basis of lateral flow testing was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't remember many calls to open up based on the use of LFTs. They were/are a useful tool in trying to break transmission lines. Are they perfect? Hell no, but every one they caught was one less person who may have otherwise been completely unaware they had it. They can also be deployed in far larger numbers than PCR tests. We can't expect to PCR the same amount of people as can use LFTs.

I honestly can't understand the reluctance to just say they serve a purpose as part of an overall strategy. PCRs are grand for clinical settings were a diagnosis is helpful but for most of the general public a LFT does a really good job. It's quick and can catch a lot of cases that would otherwise be missed. A combination of both is better than an over reliance on PCR alone.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Mask wearing was mandatory , but wont be next week.

Most people are saying they have no problem yet calling them out on it ,

Want to wear one no problem, dont want to everWe see one again, no problem

I never berated anyone for not wearing one when they were mandatory and wont be doing it to anyone wearing one from next week

I dont know anyone,s circumstances or want to know. Do whatever you are comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What would you fantastic diverse people do in this case,

My brother tested positive for Covid last Sunday morning , no symptoms or anything like that, He has been testing negative since yesterday & none of his family got it,He has invited myself and the 2 kids down to his this weekend for one of his own kids birthdays birthdays, Its down the country so would involve be staying over,

Now the 3 of us offing had covid 2 weeks ago & are as fully vaccinated as possible,

Technically its a day short of the isolation period would you still go ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Don,t see why not TBH. He.s testing negative so work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You need to respect the arbitrary time scale or some of those perfectly healthy people could die.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Sounds like he was the last in his household to catch it, rather than the first, hence why he's been testing negative since. Coupling that with the fact you caught it 2 weeks ago and omicron symptoms are mild. I'd go if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Must be Faith that for the end of this the same event is happening (Ireland vs Italy in the 6 Nations) that became the start of all of this in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Basically every rule is arbitrary, age, height, alcohol limits, speed limits.

So...what's the story with facemasks going forward? Has there been an official announcement? Gone from Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

It was agreed at cabinet on Tuesday and the usual post cabinet press conference announced it, as expected, no grand walk down the stairs to the nation which as I pointed out the week before to a few posters would have been pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

No it won't.

Always keep in mind that the likes of Ursula Von Der Leyen has considerable skin in this game.

Maintaining as many fear based restrictions and impositions on the E.U.'s population is of considerable value to persons of her administrative stature in the E.U.'s halls of governance,she will be loath to let her grip slip.

It's far more lokely that Ms V.D.L will press for much of the current "Emergency" status measures to be enshrined into "Ordinary" E.U.laws.

Oh and,of course,Albert Bourla and herself are the best of friends... 😉

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement