Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,975 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh go back to bed will you under whatever stone you crawled out from under.

Ukraine us at war with Russia yes and it is very sad.

I wish we in the west could do more but of America, France The UK or NATO attacked Russian troops there it would be the start of WWIII.

The only cleaver thing but maybe a bit crazy I could have seen America do was to threathen to fire there nukes at Russia if they did invade Ukraine. Maybe this might have made Putin reconsider it or maybe not. It's the only real way I can see that might have worked. If Putin had made the threat he did this morning before he invaded then it would have been the thing to do. Sometimes you have to be brave to be braveand fight fire with fire.

The problem was Putin had them all believing he was not going to invade.

If America had of threatened to fire a Nuke first Russia could have accused it of starting WWIII.

It's a tricky situation. I even wonder has Piden and his administration considered it. Maybe hitting a not so important city in Russia would prove they are serious about it and make Putin pull back.

I just do not think the West have the balls for it do.

Don't get me wrong I would not like to see it but I think that is the only way Putin is going to stop now unless he fires back and then it's Armagadom and very bad for all of us.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

No I’m not lashing out at you cos I don’t want to face the realities ( according to you ) of this invasion. I’m calling out your hyperbolic over reaction. Again a bit of perspective wouldn’t go astray and won’t drag this thread into an absolute **** show filled with nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Mairead mcguiness saying the EU won't put boots on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So Genocide ...

So putin is in Ukraine for Genocide?

So they should fire a tester nuke, just to feel things out.

Ok, it was a nice thread while it lasted but it's gone off the rails the last few pages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Will Nato help? Yes. They are already helping by stationing troops there and an invasion would trigger Article 5. Will the EU help? Also yes, as they are committed to mutual defense by Art 42.

Will these bodies survive in a difficult test? Again yes. The EU has already survived Brexit, which the Kremlin potentially believed would end the EU. But if anything the EU became stronger. The events in Ukraine have made NATO and the EU stronger.

Ukraine did seek closer ties with the EU and NATO. But it is not a member of either. There was never any guarantees given to them by NATO or the EU to guarantee their independence, nor do they have to. Even now, Ukraine is still much closer culturally and politically to Russia than it is to most EU members.

It is also possible that the invasion of Ukraine will expose the Russian armed forces as not being as modernised or professional as they claim, they will be badly bruised in the war and it will cause massive unhappiness in Russia, being the end of the Putin regieme.

At best for Putin, he will take over Ukraine but have to devote all his resources and strength in keeping it, meaning he will have much reduced capacity to invade any other country.

That has been the official stance from the start - repeated by Biden in any of his speeches over the last week. Also confirmed by NATO General Secretary Jen Stoltenberg this morning. Also acknowledged by Ukrainian officials / diplomats when interviewed - very clear we are not asking you to put troops on the ground but to help in anyway you can - has been a constant over the last week or so. Europe & Us have pledged military support - weapons etc but no boots on the ground. They ( Ukraine) have asked for a NATO no fly zone but it has not been granted - They’ve also asked Turkey to close the Bosphorus straight - which is accepted won’t happen but I don’t think Turkey has officially responded yet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The sheer size and population of Ukraine will make it impossible for him to quell resistance. Even if he takes Kyiv, collapses the Ukranian government and installs a puppet government, insurgent forces will be numerous and heavily backed by the west. Russian losses would be heavy and it would be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

Putin Is a madman. Anyone who thinks he is not capable of genocide is naive

below is an interesting article

i will leave ye at

Seems a number of protests are springing up in Russia shouting no to war. Good to see but will probably be clamped down on fairly swiftly.

Reports of Ukrainian Army holding their own - but it seems very hard fought and Russia has plenty of troops lined up waiting to go. Ukraine has just issued general mobilisation orders. I really admire their courage , strength and tenacity against overwhelming odds.

ETA - part of me wishes that NATO would put boots on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Eu don't really have boots to put anywhere , it's NATO or bust ,and Germany prob wouldn't agree,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ukranians would also target Russian cities with bombs etc.

I feel really frustrated. It's horrible to think of the Ukrainians being left alone to fight Russia on their own but nobody wants a world war three.

The sanctions aren't severe enough and won't deter Russia. Disappointed but not surprised at Germany and Italy being against more severe sanctions.

I just feel really sorry for the Ukrainian people in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users Posts: 54,192 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My heart goes out to them, we the West are letting them down.

We should of had troops in Ukraine, call them 'Peace Keepers' if you want but they should of been there

The one thing I want out of this from EU side is finally getting an EU army going, no more excuses you cannot be neutral anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

I see the Germans shut down the idea of removing Russia from the swift system. Typical Germany, always ready to do whatever it takes as long as it doesn't negatively affect them. They'll take cheap gas prices now and worry about the Russians invading Poland later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The Ukraine didn't want troops on the ground. They wanted weapons and sanctions which the west has delivered. They know that the best way to win the war is for Russia to lose its funding.

It's tricky with them not being a NATO country. It would essentially be going to war with Russia.

I understand your sentiment though. I feel very frustrated myself.

I'm hoping this is Putin's biggest mistake and he'll live to regret it. Actually not live would be better.

That isnt true. Ukraine wanted 'Peace Keepers' but of course the West couldnt decide on it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Reports that Ukrainian forces have retaken the airport at Hostomel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The head of the German Army vented yesterday upon this. Basically "we told you that you were spending too little on defense but did you listen? Oh, no..."

https://www.politico.eu/article/i-am-pissed-off-chief-of-the-german-army-alfons-mais-states/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This,

he is on a level now not much different to Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Amin…

remember, people in his own streets, today, attacked for disagreeing and holding anti putin posters during a rally.

in his own country he addresses peaceful protests with violence perpetrated by his security forces..

so blame the EU, UN, nato whoever, this is all on putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Imo Putin would want to control Chernobyl incase someone on the Ukrainian side decides to sabotage the place if it looks like the war is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭crushproof

The amount of military Russian still has on it's borders with Ukraine is terrifying. They've only sent in a handful so far. The second wave is going to be catastrophic.

Pains me to think of how badly this raid will be on Kyiv tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hardly a shocker that the Italians and Germans dont want to impose stronger sanctions on the Russians. Cut from the same cloth that lot when it comes to invading foreign countries.

Merkel is big miss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Well I suspect that when it comes to an end game then there is the capability of it going nuclear and Ukranian extremists using fissionable materials in a dirty bomb, however it may just be the shortest route from Belarus to Kiev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Nuclear fusion is the answer if we can ever get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Putin won't win his war with tanks and bombs and guns, he will win it with propaganda. And this war didn't start 2 days ago, its been waging for years.

Putin got Trump elected, he got brexit done, he infected the Internet with division and he funded the worst most toxic political movements to **** with democracies around the world.

2 million in funding to the Tories from 1 individual oligarch....that we know of..

Putin is the ultimate troll. He knows how to distract and obfuscate so much that he can have literally his entire army lined up to cross a border and there are prominent media outlets pretending that he's only bluffing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I suggested we brake rank and deployed troops to Ukraine , everyone thought i had lost the plot ,

But if did send troops of others will follow suit ,it was suggested at nato a Anti putin coalition could form to assist ukraine while not Nato it could involve nato countries

Advertisement