Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

agree - 2 days is ok with me (Ive done it already since march 2020) but for me 3 days in the office might as well be 5. Lost all benefits of remote working when doing 3.

Someone else asked about flexi - for me not I dont need it or want it if remote working/blended option. We were told previously (public sector) that flexi time isnt an option going forward if remote/blended working continues and it hasnt returned even for those who opt to go back to the office fully.

Everything still unclear for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's handy for those of us in the country with hospital appointments in Dublin.

Dublin staff can take a few hours and be back in the office.

I've to take a full day which is currently a days holidays in the case of the kids or a days sick leave for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

I'd agree entirely. 3 days in the office seems to be all the talk. But why? After working from home successfully for two years why do we need to be in the office most of the time?

It's such a massive issue for so many of us. Life improving changes. Yet we seem to have no voice in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 martysparty

The employer holds all the cards. I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭starf1sh

Can someone please tell me what the Department of Social Protection's long-term WFH policy is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Why would you take a day's sick leave for a medical appointment? Medical appointments are something you can claim back on flexi (at least, they were, in the CS, when it was still a thing), and sick leave is figured in for PMDS, mobility, promotion eligibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If it requires a full day then it's either annual leave or sick leave. Takes me 5 hours to get to the hospital. Not like being in Dublin where a few hours can cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Is it higher that you can live in your family home for low rent while “culchies” pay almost the total of their salary for a roof. We’re a nation of emigrants because people from Tipp, Galway, etc are forced to emigrate or go homeless.

And btw, I am based full time in Dublin. Im just from down the country, you probably know us as “culchies” although most of us have pHds at this stage.

facts are facts: rent inflation is higher than the inflation of your posh coffee. To see a fellow citizen homeless is different than seeing a fellow citizen without his coffee from the coffee shop or his meal in a restaurant. I’m talking about necessities (accomodation) you’re clearly talking about luxuries. Tesco, gas and electricity are same rates in a country. Tesco don’t have Tipp price and a Dublin price. Inflation is targeting rural families in particular.

I’m sick of seeing my Dublin colleagues walking into work each day with their coffee saying how expensive its gotten while I will never be able to afford such coffee in this country.

Post edited by Avenger2020 on

Amen. Loved my organisation but now I ve put in for a transfer. It handled the return appallingly. I already know some departments and managers who prefer WFH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I was in the office on Monday and Tuesday, was a ghost town. Mostly just APs and POs. Talking to a few of them and they had no plans to tell staff to come in as long as the work gets done it doesnt matter to them. It seems like HR got wind of all this so yesterday they sent out an email stating that office attendance is mandatory and no local arrangement under any circumstances bar medical (to be signed off by the CMO). Needless to say it went down like a lead balloon!

• Advertisement

Their long-term policy will be what DPER tells them it is, and it'll likely be the same main policy for all Departments and the main public bodies like Revenue, obviously with exceptions for sections with public counters and the like.

In the short to medium term, DSP's internal policy seems to be a mix depending on where you work. See the survey results on page 18 of this thread. DSP people said current/short-term arrangements were a mix:

• DSP (8); a mixture! continue as before (4), 1 day a week (3), 2-4 days a week (1), with two saying it was a blanket policy, the rest saying it depended on unit

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Abcdefg1234567

I was told by my manager that any appointments go in as sick leave. Had a hospital appointment recently and I worked 8am-1.30pm without lunch and then logged off. HR put in 1hr 30min sick leave as that covered the core hours of 2.30-4pm and then I have to make up the remaining time.

I've never asked but my understanding is that we're allowed up to 7 sick days over a rolling period before it impacts things like promotions etc. Presumably the 1hr 30min isn't going to suddenly be counted as 1 day or 1 instance? I've had about 3 similar appointments in the past year which I couldn't avoid and really don't want to be ruining my chances of promotion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Appointments should go in as appointments.

They aren't sick leave.

If you have a doctor's appointment from 11 to 12 ,the supervisor/HR would be keying that into the system.

I'd be asking the manager where they have gotten the info from because I've never heard of it done that way .I'd be interested to see what people point would say if a case is raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Our office tracks calls. Amount taken, length of call and any missed. It’s taken very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

In our place, if you’re off for more than a half day because of a medical appointment, it’s treated as sick leave (if you don’t take annual or flexi leave).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The person I was responding to had 1.30 hours off due to an appointment.

Conditions might be different in the public service (I don't think so!) but in the civil service, that's bollocks. A medical appointment is a medical appointment, not sick leave. If you have to end up taking a full day to travel somewhere, then yes, you need to count it as leave, but absolutely not the case that a 1.5 hour absence should go in as sick leave. It'll get counted as one instance of absence due to sick leave so yes, could end up effecting things.

Also, join a union. The public sector unions are generally shite, but they can at least point you at the right circular to wave in your manager's face when they pull stunts like that. (Or, in fairness, maybe they're just ignorant of the facts.) A quick google got me this: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-09-25/548/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

DPER will hold back on WFH concessions for the next round of pay negotiations, which is September I think.

What makes you think Dubliners want to stay living at home under their parents roof any longer than you do?

They don't get cheaper rent in Dublin because they are from Dublin.

This is not a Dublin -v- country person issue. Let's not turn it into one.

In my department a full day hospital appointment is counted as an uncertified day sick leave, or certified, if you provide proof of attendance.

If its not a full day you can claim core time as either a doctor or dental appointment.

On flexi time, I said it before, I think flexi-time will remain, but the trade off for working from home will be loss of the ability to accrue extra hours to take as flexi-leave.

One of the original conditions of accruing hours towards flexi-leave was that it was for hours put in to complete work that you couldn't get finished within your regular working hours. But in all honesty, in a lot of cases, it did become people showing up early and staying late, just to build time for the extra days off.

I suspect they will make the case where there is a business need for extra hours to be worked, that time-in-lieu can still be sanctioned by the line manager/HOF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Agreed, I live in Dublin (but I commute would still be an hour each way), but I have zero interest in going back to the office more than a day or so a month.

If we survived two years doing this, then it's perfectly dooable in the long-run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

According to the website, they'd say this: http://peoplepoint.gov.ie/hr-for-employees-managers/absence-management/health-appointments/

Bascially, it's as others have stated; if you're in for enough of the time that day, then formal leave isn't needed.

Sick leave: yes, that's how it works everywhere that I've been. OP for that issue was being told to take sick leave for 1.5 hours, though.

Flexi: I think you're right on how it will pan out. Some flexibility assumed or 'built in' for people WFH, and once the work is done, everyone is happy, but no accrual of flexi leave, at least until the next round of union conferences/pay negotiations.

Interesting point on the origin of flexi - to cater for work for that couldn't be completed. I'm a long-timer, and had literally never heard that until now (or possibly I read it in a circular years ago and promptly forgot it. As a parent, it was brilliant - parent-teacher meeting coming up, work up some flexi to leave early, no leave needed; take it in turns to drop kids to school for nine, work a bit later that evening; and, obviously, work up time to get a day or a day-and-a-half off. Not to mention all the other benefits for others, too - "I need X for a meeting in the morning, can you do it?" "Yeah, I can stay late and I'll mail it to you this evening" versus "Well, I'll do what I can get done by 5:30, then I'm off!"; not having to commute during rush hour; getting to concentrate on something in a quiet office without interruptions.

Absolutely agree, an absence of 1.5 hours for a medical appointment should definitely not be recorded as sick leave!!

Yes, I remember (I'm old!) when it was a requirement that you had to have sufficient work to be able to justify staying at your desk and accruing extra hours over your target hours per day, to avail of flexi leave. I haven't heard of anywhere that has actively enforced that for years though.

Starting at 10am or leaving at 4pm was fine, once your target hours were worked up over the four week flexi period (or the next flexi period if you had a defecit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Shuffl_in

I have no doubt we'll be disappointed by the new pay agreement. We're simply not going to get a pay rise to match inflation. Lower/middle class need to suffer to lower inflation.

But I can't possibly see how they'd get away with stalling on the blended working scheme until September. Morale would go through the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But you'll be distracted from worrying about the tiny financial crumbs dropped from the table by the generous offer of 3 days a week WFH.

That's probably their logic anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlueAW

Is there any talk of flexi days going back?

Sorry fellow citizen but I’m homeless. Sleeping in my car to attend the office.

the luck of you complaining about living at the family home. poor snowflake. looking to rent for luxury. At least most EU countries provide for public servants living beyond so many kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭andydurnin

Dose people have TOIL time off in lieu in their office section? They told us in our section justice that it's gone since COVID-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭andydurnin

Advertisement