Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Are you surprised? The Western allies have repeatedly said that they are not going to deploy troops. Such is the fear of engagement and consequent escalation, they aren't willing to even conduct any evacuation flights.

Ukraine will have to defend itself. That's why this is likely to be a bitter, bloody and drawn out conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 25,290 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Been following this elsewhere today..some sporadic elevated levels seen on some measurement sites (and not on others) from everything going on...thinking of the elderly people who moved back into the exclusion zone. Dust could be dislodging from the land/forest (which went on fire last year and also raised levels) and a possible hit on a storage area(no4northwest area mentioned)...no images to confirm this from what I have seen as of yet.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdityaRajKaul/status/1496858233041944578

IAEA has veen informed of following

https://meduza.io/en/news/2022/02/24/russian-forces-in-ukraine-seize-chernobyl-nuclear-power-plant

Images of forces arriving there..apologies if already posted

https://mobile.twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1496906210418827272

https://mobile.twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1496897672548130823

It seems the plant is still a switching station for other forms of power for the capital. Hence of strategical importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,467 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Unless there is a strong reaction - beyond stop that now - I fear it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 35,964 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The people of Ukraine feel abandoned, sanctions won't help them, those will effect others in the weeks and months ahead, but right now no one is helping them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Made the mistake of looking at Mick Wallace's Twitter page. The man is a disgrace, anti-war my ar*e. That man has been got at by some government or another.

Macron did a press conference at just after 2am Irish time but just as part of a group at the end of the EUCO meeting.

It wasn't an address.

Two ditherers ‘leading’ the UK and USA…wtf is going on ? Putin threatening NATO and the US…fûck it the whole ’west’ he’s threatening…. complete radio silence as a sovereign and peaceful nation…the Ukraine is attacked and civilians murdered. Russia have Chernobyl…

The fûck is this Biden and Boris pair up to….

looking at Bidens TV address from earlier… as Russia attempts to fûck up The Ukraine and do whatever else… as it becomes an established and tangible threat to the lives of millions of people…Biden… essentially proud as punch saying how he and partners will mess with the Russian economy, make it harder for Russian businesses,

He is commenting on what’s happening but not providing a single solution… a relaxed demeanour, a smile cracked..

Europe is on its own…

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

2 large explosions heard in Kyiv

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to wonder did they plant something on the Atlantic fibre optic cables and have the British, French or American navies been able to verify that they have not...

That Atlantic drill and the various Russian vessels that were spotted in waters near cables over the last number of months is all a bit suspicious.

The vast majority of those cable routes aren't in Irish waters at all btw, and they're strategic infrastructure for the whole of the EU, the UK and the the US and Canada.

They're very deep but they're not entirely unreachable if someone has developed weapons specifically for that purpose.

You're also not necessarily talking about anything as sophisticated as tapping and hacking, they could be simply some device that cuts them or damages them with some kind of explosive charge.

Given the timing, it really doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility. It's not by any means technically beyond a country like Russia with very serious competence in submarines, submersibles, weapons systems and so on. I mean they landed multiple probes on the surface of Venus. I think they could easily do something like this.

Apologies if this was posted already but…having watched most of it, I can see why Putin is doing this…Biden hasn’t a clue, not a notion, he doesn’t appear well, seriously questions about life and death, the future of countries, the world, war and he’s unable to answer and is giggling like a schoolgirl barley able to stop in reply to questions from journalists..

this was only hours ago…..

the world and millions of its inhabitants in peril, people dying and he’s giggling like a jackass because he can’t rationalise questions or gather composure to answer…

The world is in trouble.

^Octopod....some similiar thoughts did flow across my mind briefly...but there are probably easier more precisely targetted ways that could be used?

The US is so far down its own rabbit hole on domestic polarised politics wars, I don't think they'll be effective at all. They're incapable of getting their act together and half of them are so embroiled in conspiracy theories and crazy stuff they aren't able to see the wood for the trees anymore. They have been having regular government shut downs and are barely capable of functioning. Their politics is beginning to remind me of the level of bunkerism and polarisation that you see in Stormont, and that's a rather special mess.

Biden is a massive improvement on Trump, but quite frankly, a garden ornament would be a massive improvement on Trump. They've insane domestic politics and across the board, a mixture of crazy people, weak politicians and octogenarians.

I think the US has been nudged into a very dangerous situation where it won't be capable of responding as it will be to busy tearing itself apart over conspiracy theories and culture wars on Twitter.

That article is 23 days old. They're not getting unilateral replies. End of story. Response is via the EU and en bloc.

They obviously don't tell their ambassador in Dublin very much:

"During the meeting, Filatov said there was a “daily drumbeat” in the west about an imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine but that the threat of an invasion was “a fantasy”. 

“There are no even hypothetically any political, economic, military or any other reasons for such an invasion,” he said. 

Filatov said there are stories about Russian troops “in every newspaper, every day” but that these troops are in Russian territory.

‘NATO is brazen enough to tell us to move our armed forces away from the border in our own territory,’ he told the committee. "

I think we can assume at this stage the embassy is either lying or, more likely, gets told nothing.

If a reasonable person were to read the situation a few weeks ago, they would also have concluded that there was no logic to invading Ukraine, which I suspect is where their spokesperson / ambassador was coming from - he's probably a very reasonable person. His government however ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't see why the Americans have to constantly save Europe while the Germans and Italians(quelle surprise) undermine their efforts to impose sanctions. In reality this is a much bigger deal for Europe than it is for the US but you wouldn't think it by the lack of political will or even spending on defence or aid given to the Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

CNN reporting that Russia now targeting residential units and the large explosion was a missile taken down - which would be unusual as there is no anti-missile systems.

Several European nations three actually participated in the War in Afghanistan for 20 years.. Italy and Germany being two. US allies..

Lots of EU nations allow US military bases..

germany, Italy, Portugal, Turkey, and Belgium all have us bases totalling around 208, ballpark..

Norwegian coast guard have seized a superyacht owned by a member of Putin's inner-circle (and former KGB colleague). Suspicion is the yacht was involved in the recent severing of undersea cable between Svalbard - where there is a Russian presence - and the Norweigan mainland. The yacht was equipped with a submarine. Lol, that's completely normal and for civilian purposes.

These f*ckers are the world's biggest ever mob.

• Advertisement

barley able to stop in reply to questions from journalists..

The journalist that shook the barley.

Strumms, it's ok, it's ok, (hugging you and gently rocking you back and forth), hey, it's ok, it's ok....

He is such a pathetic leader, Putin just laughing at him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Exactly they need to stop relying on the us to fund their defense.

Regarding Afghanistan, I'm sure the us would be happy to reciprocate if the Germans and Italians choose to defend Ukraine. It's is not the us that is holding this back. The Germans are even reluctant to impose sanctions and yet Biden has to stand there and explain why they aren't stricter.

Europe needs to step up bigtime

True, it’s probably a little late for sanctioning now though…

problem the EU has, it’s never been under the kind of direct threat which it is potentially facing….

European nations need to step up, but Biden does too. I’m gobsmacked at that press conference / address…

more sales rep then Presidential and i would not be buying much of what he has to say.

The Germans are a bit of a special case because of their own history. There was a long period where there was absolutely nobody in a big rush to see Germany or Japan becoming serious military powers again and Germany itself took a rather reflective view of a lot of that too, becoming very much the opposite of a military power, maintaining what's basically just a really civil defense force.

The Italians looking for carve-outs for luxury goods from the sanctions was beyond pathetic. I was listening to a Russia-focused security and intelligence expert a few weeks ago on a podcast, and he alluded that there are a couple of large EU nations that have a serious "Russia problem" in their elite politics but out of politeness declined to say which ones. Germany was obviously one of them, but Italy was almost certainly the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Not that far from the capital now.

local images on the ground

https://t.me/s/intelslava

press preview channel...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

The sanctions are an absolute unmitigated **** joke. Least the rhetoric is really strong , rhetoric is off the charts , that will save the Ukraine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement