Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vincent Hanley documentary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

The memories of MTUSA... sitting in a mates house on a Sunday afternoon with a few of us watching it and drooling over Belinda Carlisle / Madonna / Kim Wilde.... memories. Outside the pretty girls I vividly remember the ZZ Top videos and Money for nothing video.

Anyway, I remember Vinny doing DJ in Katy Daly's in Killaloe one Saturday night, he was fantastic, was a real eye opener to see how much better one seriously professional DJ like he was, over the local DJ's. He had the floor full from beginning to the end of the night.

Talked to him briefly and seemed like a decent bloke, sad that he along with so many others died of HIV/Aids. Even worse is thinking how badly a lot of gay people were treated in those days. And I won't say I was any better than average in those times, I'd hope I'm a lot more tolerant now - I certainly try to be much more open minded about other people's choices anyway.

Program was interesting though, seemed like he enjoyed life to the fullest at least before he died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

I did find it annoying that Hughes was always on camera. It was a sad tale of so many gay men. He was a very talented presenter and dj. I could careless about his sexuality.

what was shocking was that some scum threw a brick through his parents window before his funeral… just why?

MTUSA was a fantastic program. Obviously I didn’t know he was so sick at the end, it’s a horrific disease and took too many talented young gay men too early.

being In the US and New York especially during that period, it was always so shocking to see young men with this disease. I had many work colleagues that died during that period and many friends. Talented, warm and just lovely people, who did not deserve to die so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Watched MT USA each week. Was good sometimes but sometimes not a single decent song in the 2 (or 3?) hours.

Vincent was a good presenter, a natural

Hughes was a bit much at times in the documentary. Swearing 95% unnecessary. Silly imo for the presenter to jump in and comment in interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

That was the first thought that crossed my mind, though maybe I'm missing out on something here. In 2022 we know exactly how AIDS is contracted but was that the case when Vincent was going to those sex clubs? On the other hand, he seems to have lived a no-holds-barred life and Terry O'Sullivan described him as being "not particularly mature" and "a big child on a dangerous mission".

I don't remember MT USA too well so I don't have any nostalgia for that era. Still, I came away from the documentary thinking "what a waste". If he hadn't died at such a young age, I think Vincent would've gone on to have a fine broadcasting career. From the clips I saw, he had a lot going for him. He paid a terrible price for being born at the wrong time. He grew up in grim, homophobic Ireland and came of age when AIDS was ravaging gay communities. It's great that there are now effective treatments for people with HIV but tragic that they didn't come along soon enough.

Aside from the Vincent Hanley story, it was shocking to learn how the gay community in Ireland was openly discriminated against. Imagine a club being denied a licence to serve alcohol these days based on the sexuality of its clientele? Or that shocking Gardaí "investigation" into Charles Self's murder? That Gay Byrne interview as well, don't get me started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Where our house was located we couldn't get RTE 2, reception was so bad we could just barely get 1. Our grandparents just up the hill had perfect reception so caught MT-USA the odd time there. Wasn't overly gone on the choice of songs, there was an overemphasis on American acts, yeah I know that was the point of the show, but a lot of what now would be termed yacht rock. The thing that looked most impressive at the time to me were the computer generated graphics for the opening titles and between break bumpers.

• Advertisement

Hughes favourite sound is his own voice. Talking head docs are pretty unimaginative

Don't know about Vincent but gays in general didn't want to know and the bathhouse owners didn't want to know. Former wanted sex and latter money

Randy Shilts book is fascinating .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Have recorded this and look forward to watching it. I well remember MT USA as 'must see' viewing every week.

I wasn't very much aware of the Charles Self murder and investigation but from the details outlined by Bill Hughes on radio last Sunday, it was pretty awful. Add it to what we saw in 'Crimes and Confessions' a few weeks back and it gives a damming picture of policing in Ireland in that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^

yep, Ireland was in the dark ages regards anything sexual back in those days, no thanks to the catholic church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought it was a good documentary. Vincent's sexuality was really the main topic of it. I suppose that's reasonable enough as it was the (forced) hiding of it that shaped him and informed his path in life.

Perhaps they only had rights to certain videos. Did MT USA inspire that Saturday morning Steve Collins (& the other chap that died recently) that played videos? Beat Box?

Yeah, I think it definitely set the template for that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Peter Collins, Simon Young. And it was a Sunday morning....

Yes Simon, RIP. Sunday it was. You've jogged my memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some people here don't get the point of MT-USA. Music Television USA. It reflected what was in the US charts, good and bad. There was no point in doing another Top Of The Pops, RTE2 was showing that already.

Haven't watched the doc yet, but it'll be a bit much if Una Mullaly goes on about being gay in the 80s, she was 4 when Vincent died ffs. She only came of age in the late 90s when Ireland had already been transformed in terms of attitudes to sexuality.

I was looking through random RTE archive videos the other day and came across this!

Hanley was the consummate professional broadcaster, but I can barely imagine what was going through his mind while having to interview this bunch of cnuts.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well it was his sexuality that killed him. I don't mean that in a homophobic way either.

If he was an alcoholic or drug user you'd find they would have concentrated on that if he died of liver failure or over dose.

As he kept his private life very private I suppose there was always the question of how he caught the virus...was it an unlucky one night stand or a long term partner that didn't know they were sick until it was too late etc.

The documentary addressed this, he was engaging in extremely risky behaviour, as was his right as a consenting adult, but there was a certain inevitability that he would catch the virus in doing this. Maybe he felt it was worth the risk, maybe he thought it would never happen to him.

From a cultural point of view I did enjoy the documentary. The same way I enjoyed "it's a sin". I do however wonder about the purpose of the documentary. He lived his life in private. I don't think his friends were "setting the record straight" so it seems abit voyeuristic probing into a dead man's private life especially when he guarded it so well when he was alive.

Fair play to his friend giving him CPR though alot of people wouldn't, not in the 80's to someone with aids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Considering the last 2 years, it really makes you think.

😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It would have been interesting to have had more about his family and their response to it all. In the programme I think a family member said something about the shame of it and son on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

yeah , sounds like he lived a very reckless lifestyle , rarely ends well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some amazing comments here.

Not in a good way.

Not sure if many of his immediate family are alive. His brother, who featured in the Fab Vinny doc from 2017, passed away a couple of years ago and I'd imagine his parents are deceased. The quote in question was someone (Hughes i think) quoting Vinnies father from the time of his death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Vincent is buried in St Patrick’s cemetery in Clonmel, go up the central avenue and towards the house on the left by taking the second last path on the left, he isn’t too far from the back wall of the house. I often pass by when visiting family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

RTE Guide from Feb 1984 promoting the start of MT USA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

I hadn't seen that article before so thanks for sharing. He already looks like he's going downhill in the photos, doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah the RTE guide that and smash hits and shoot magazine the highlight of my week, simpler times simpler country...you know in a strange way for all its faults (and it had many) i kinda miss the place 😐️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

MTV usa was very popular, it was the only show that showed all the latest music videos on rte before everyone had cable TV or sky TV at that time there was only a few programs that showed music videos like top of the pops , if you made a good music video you had a hit in the top 30 billboard charts. Any kid who grew up in the 80s watched it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm from Clonmel and grew up there at the time. I remember it well. Don't remember the rocks being thrown but wouldn't be surprised. Not to condone it on any way (the town was and still is, a kip) but unfortunately this would have happened anywhere in Ireland (and many other places) at the time.

It's quite staggering to see how the gay community was treated then. Homosexuality was illegal! Gay meant pedophile to pretty much everyone, you could get AIDS from a toilet seat. Houses vandalised, careers ruined forever. Sure, you have the usual idiots everywhere today with their homophobia, especially in eastern European countries and the middle East. But it is nothing on a par to not so long ago.

I do remember MTUSA and remember loving it. We rented a VCR at the time (very fancy) and would tape it every weekend (assuming you taped the right channel). As others have said and the name implies, it was mainly aimed at the American music scene. We had Top of The Pops for everything else. It gave us this image of a optimistic, youthful, open America. THE place to go (Unfortunately usually by illegal emigration, given the time). The people were younger, the fashion better (!), the music lighter (if not quite as interesting) than music you see on TOTP, hell, even the weather was better (of course all in the opinion of a 1980's kid). It was VERY influential for it's time.

Regarding the RTE tapes being lost, unfortunately this is VERY common everywhere. Tapes were recorded over regularly. Remember, these were not your VCR tapes, these cost terms of thousands at the time and everyone taped over them. Who at the time would think that people 40 years later would want to dig up an old episode of Wanderly Wagon and play it on their thin computer thing or TELEPHONE!!! over telephone lines.

I haven't gotten around to watching the doc. Must do

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I wonder were RTE the only source that had the MT USA tapes. I wonder would Bill Hughes or Conor McAnally and their then production company have any info on this, perhaps there were 2 copies of each tape kept ?

RTE only played the programme tapes, that Bill Hughes would have complied. The links that were brought back from New York might be on separate tapes?

I assume Betamax tapes were used and I doubt each tape would have cost thousands !!

Advertisement