Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anywhere for a family of absolute beginners for about €2k all in for a week?

• 25-02-2022 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

I am looking for an absolute beginners ski holiday any time within the next couple of months and don't care where but it needs to fit into about €2k for the week for everything for 2 adults and 2 under 12 kids.

I don't think we will even progress from just going out for a few hours each day to try and get up on the skis and travel about 100 metres down the most gentle of slopes!

If will be more about the experience of the snow and a few things to do for the kids then the skiing!

Open to any and all recommendations for resorts and places to go that would fit the budget.

So is this possible or should we just go to the Canaries instead for the same money for the week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

You wont get anything this season that's for sure. As all travel is opened up again after covid everywhere is booked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

Self organized self catering in small apartment should be possible under 2k, but don't expect big resorts.

You can go to Poland and have great beginners experience for your budget.

Flights €100-150 each. Car rental €150. Apartment €400-600. Ski pass + ski rental from €180. Extras: ski lessons, expenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is a ski holiday including flights, accomodation, ski passes, ski rental feasible (anywhere) for 2K for a family of 4?

I would have thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm far from experienced on ski holidays compared to most posters here, but I'd still be skeptical if someone says this is possible. When I went for my first ski holiday people were telling me it will set me back €1,500 all in. I was at about €1,250 from package, lessons, ski hire and ski pass. And that was with one of the cheapest packages available.

I'd recommend a trip to kiltiernan before you go, you'll need some gear, even if you borrow whatever you can (socks, baselayers). All of these things are costs you won't have on a trip to the canaries.

So if your budget is €2,000, I would look at the Canaries or something. I'm jealous thinking of you hopping on a plane there now! But if you can stretch out the budget, I would for a ski holiday. For me there's no better way to spend a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for the reply, Where would you recommend in Poland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭djan

Very much possible if you have date flexibility, have a look below.

Key is to get a "skipass included" deal where with some sufficient for beginners places you're paying under 200eur for accom and ski pass per person. Additional costs would then be ski/boot/poles/helmet rental which would be roughly 75eur for adult per week and 50ish for kids. Flights depends where you go but seem fairly cheap atm. Do consider looking at airports further away from your travel as you will be renting a car regardless and an extra 2 hours journey can save hundreds! Also don't forget to pre-book ski rental and lessons, often works out 10-20% cheaper.

https://www.snowtrex.ie/search_specials/search_book.html#destinationId=&numberOfPersons=4&adultsCount=2&childrenCount=2&babiesCount=0&childAge_1=9&childAge_2=11&childAge_3=2&childAge_4=2&childAge_5=2&childAge_6=2&childAge_7=2&childAge_8=2&isRestrictedToOneRoom=1&earliestDateStart=20220226&latestDateEnd=20220331&duration=7-7&page=1&withLiftPassIncludedOnly=1&maxDistanceToSkiArea=0&minRecommendationRate=0&minReviewPointsAcco=0&minSizeSkiArea=&maxSizeSkiArea=&highestPointSkiAreaMin=&highestPointSkiAreaMax=&minReviewPointsSkiArea=0&sortBy=price&sortOrder=asc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

That looks decent and it seems to be about €1000 for the accommodation, ski hire and lift passes and then about €500 for flights to Nice and then maybe add another couple of hundred for car hire so looks to be doable!

Anyone been here before and can comment as well?

It is possible. Here is example:

Flights to Krakow: €272 - €68pp

2 bags: €120

Car rental: €94 https://www.kayak.ie/cars/Krakow,Poland-c9856/2022-03-07-15h/2022-03-14-15h;map?sort=rank_a

Fuel: €50

2bed apartment in Zakopane: €585 - 146pp (can easily find cheaper) https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/974256?adults=4&check_in=2022-03-07&check_out=2022-03-14&federated_search_id=96fb8b87-6453-40ac-9cf7-7aab821953fb&source_impression_id=p3_1645785307_gHgxNuNf8qgFQzs0

Ski pass 6 days: €500 - 125pp covers various small resorts, perfect for beginners. Can ski only 3 or 4 days and save.

Ski rental 6 days: €250 - 65pp. Can ski only 3 or 4 days and save.

Total around: €1870 leaving some budget for a few private ski lessons.

The problem with these that they are all Saturday to Saturday and only flight option is Lyon which is usually expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Livigno in Italy could be worth a look.

https://www.directski.com/ski/italy/livigno

• Advertisement

Depends how booked they are, given the prices, probably not much. Have contacted accom providers directly to change dates slightly that are not available through providers and they were often happy to oblige in moving dates slightly if vacant.

Livigno has excellent skiing but I wouldn't call it beginner friendly with relatively few blue runs and practically no greens. However does have its perks being tax free zone has great shopping and very good value food etc. Flights are cheap into Milan but due to Italian rental companies not offering winter tyres it's realistically a no go. Another option is to fly to Munich and drive (all rentals have winter tyres) or get a bus from Milan to Livigno (roughly 80pp return).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

Sone great options there

I'm just back from four days in Spain at about 3k all in for family of 5 in nice hotel at mid term and thought that was great value. Could drop that by about 600 if staying in apartment instead

But will be very hard to beat the above offers

Wouldn't be too worried about this. It rarely snows in Italy (this year has been particularly bad) and worse case scenario you buy a pair of snow chains or ideally snow socks for 50 euro in a petrol station if you encounter it. Just keep an eye on forecast when going.

At this price you can't afford to be choosy re the resort! As long as it isn't patently unsuitable for beginners you'd have to grab it with both hands.

As it happens that link suggested it had some kind of family accreditation so you won't beat that.

As you said, 100m of snow will keep you occupied for a fair bit as absolute beginners, anything beyond that is a bonus (you will get beyond that but my 5 year old was perfectly happy with this on my trip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭prunudo

Outside the box here, but I would have thought you'd get a few days in Scotland for that no problem, obviously it can have it's draw backs but could work if you got the weather.

But then are you looking to learn to ski on the cheap or are you looking for the 1 week, alpine experience.

Maybe on paper a good idea but I'd say accomodation in Scotland not cheap and you'd prob fly a few places for not much more than the ferry. I gather it can get seriously busy when conditions are good (as they are now) and nowhere near as much terrain as a european resort

I'd really like to try it mind

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Check out crystal ski holidays. Best option is to go to Italy, as it is a bit more budget friendly compared to France / Austria. As we head into March, it will get more and more less expensive. Bear in mind towards the end of march the snow could be hit and miss. I would recommend Livigno. Best of luck, once you do a ski holiday for the first time, you will more than likely be hooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Forget about it for this year and go to the Canaries instead. The problem is most of small cheap places is that they are low altitude, so their season is already coming to an end by the time the OP gets him/herself sorted. You could check out Kilternan or one of the indoor slopes in say Manchester, Holland and there's several in Germany, if you happen to be are doing a family city break this year. You can dip your toe in the water to see if you like it.

Advertisement