Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

“a special area of human tragedy”

Someone in Dollymount is getting aroused now.

Incredible insight there to be fair.

Would explain why his favourite poem is

“the fat cat sat on the mat”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Beautiful x 6 ... edit x 7

Lovely x 2

If you had a drink every time he said beautiful today you’d be locked already.

Some serious backtracking there by Tubs on his earlier Macron comments.

Is this trait of his of using huge numbers where they don't belong, a new thing?

"Back when I was in school 200yrs ago".

"to move to another location 5,000,000 miles away"

It may be a new thing, but it’s delicious. I 100000000000000000% approve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

intern texting in from the RTE canteen:

"...malevolent chicanery..."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement

tubs considering cancelling his iceland trip

remember centre parcs is a bit more expensive than trabolgan

"You're talking to a 500yr old man here".

This young one has said LIKE about 10,000 times already!

... and we have content from this for the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Might as well book them for the LLS, Ryan.

It’ll make a change from Dermot Bannon/Francis Brennan/Keith Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wait til the mayor get's a hold of him !

vitali klitschko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

As predicted, now that he's had the time to learn what a normal person's reaction to a war looks like, he has changed the tone.

His natural instinct yesterday morning was to make chicken kiev jokes and laugh his way through the commentary on the invasion. Now he realises how that came across so he tries to appear like a normal functioning person by saying how much he's worried about the children.

The desperate attempt to sound sincere isn't convincing people. Keep digging, dainty boy!

He cried twice yesterday, would you believe?! Once watching the people who look like him in Ukraine and once watching a sad film! How an one man experience so much real human emotion!!!

I heard it as it was happening and cringed , basically gave the weather more airtime then a potential nuclear war and the tone deaf assumption we are all with him. As for hiding from the bad war news in a fishing boat....fishing is hard

• Advertisement

"Air raid sirens give me the heebie jeebies. Now let's all book holidays!"

[DLB Tubridy, 2022]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Good article by Tony Connelly on the RTE website. Tubridy could inform himself by reading something like that.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2022/0226/1283120-ukraine-blog/

I just can't listen to him, or watch the LLS. I am still a bit incredulous that he thought it appropriate to say something supposedly funny about what is going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Nordner

Not a major fan of Tubs myself but the overreaction to his comments are even more hilarious than his original joke!

EU and Nato are happy enough to let Ukraine burn. Will not risk nuclear war with Russia.

Putin was given free reign in Chechnya, Georgia, Syria, Crimea and Eastern Ukraine. No wonder he is invading Ukraine proper now when The Wests response to his previous aggressions have been so weak for so long.

Obviously this is a tragedy for the Ukrainian people, but they are being used as pawns in a global, geopolitical conflict, by both Russia and The West.

The unfortunate truth is that we have been pissing around arguing about Transgender toilets, critical race theory and trying to cancel Joe Rogan for platforming alternative views on Covid and vaccines etc etc ad infinitum....Meanwhile China and Russia have been busy exploiting all these differences via Social Media and laughing their asses off while we tie ourselves in knots over this bullshit.

China limits their citizens time on apps like tiktok while our kids are turning into socially inadequate, dumbed down zombies looking at this crap day in day out.

Even then, I am not convinced the divisions between The West and China/Russia are even as bad as we are led to believe.

Xi, Biden, Putin and Johnson may, for all we know, spend their down time together on Epsteins Paedo Island, along with Clinton, Trump, MBS and Prince Andrew, sipping champagne and shooting the **** while getting jerked off by 14yr olds...I'm only saying!

After the madness of the last few years, anything is possible!

@Nordner What's offensive is that we have a useless fool raking in 500k per year the expense of the public. This is just the latest example of how out of touch he is as a broadcaster.

Part of the reason he made the comment was because he didn't know what else to say. It didn't even make sense as a joke. It was just moronic. If you listen to the first few minutes of that show you will hear him repeatedly stumble over his words and get confused even after mentioning Ukraine. And then he accomplished the impressive feat of making things worse the following day (as stated on this thread).

This is par for the course because he puts absolutely no effort whatsoever into the show. He reads the news for the first time on air (admitted as much last week) but he doesn't have the talent or personality for this so-called "riffing".

What you hear on the radio is his natural unfiltered reaction - and his "joke" just revealed that he's taking the piss out of people with his "kindness" charade. I've no problem with someone using humour to comment on social issues if it is done so skilfully but this wasn't the case here. He didn't offer any insight into the war either as you have done in your post - the height of his comments were "Putin is very clever" or something. Clueless and pointless.

We need broadcasters who are in touch with the real world, informed, who have genuine empathy and a genuine desire to understand people and events. This fella is just so bad on so many levels it's outrageous. That's why people should complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Nordner

I hear you. Sure the while msm are pretty useless these days. Tubs is meant to be an entertainer, not a newsman, although I do not find him very entertaining or insightful in either role.

We have been so dumbed down for so long but great to see people like yourself are not accepting the status quo anymore.

I would suggest u check out the likes of Aaron Mate, Chris Hedges, Joe Rogan or even Russel Brand if you want to hear unfiltered news. Dr. John Campbell for Covid facts as well.

These guys are showing up the CNNs, BBCs and RTEs of the world for the charlatans they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Will there be excited wittering about the return of Peaky Blinders?

He spoke about it excitedly recently alright.

It’s another of Tubs’ delicious contradictions - claims to hate violence and on-screen violence, won’t watch certain films or series because they’re too violent; but Peaky Blinders is brilliant because it has an Irish connection. Intriguing.

Serious voice mode activated. No Chicken Kiev jokes today Brian?

• Advertisement

“delicious cakes”

Chalk it down, a correct use of the word delicious!

“I’m not trying to be glib”

I’d hate to see what you’d come out with if you were….

“Molotov cocktails” is today’s buzzword for Bryan. I’m guessing the first time Bryan heard this was over the weekend?

Seamlessly moves from WWIII to The Late Late Toy Show. We are in the presence of a broadcasting legend.

I was in the IFI on Friday night watching The Godfather restoration in 4K. I’m sad to hear Tubs goes there.

“I feel a Bannon moment”

FFS. The last thing the IFI needs is a makeover from one-trick pony architect Dermot Bannon.

Would be horrible trying to watch a movie with an open plan cinema with a restaurant in it

Bannon would do the same thing as he does with every one of his designs - create a clear window topped and tailed light passageway from one end of the building to another as the main feature, then step back and admire himself in the reflection; ignoring of course that this is a cinema and requires the opposite of light.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Also trying to watch a movie with bannon having a bath beside you would not be ideal

I’d be more worried about him coming in 758% over budget as seems to be his norm.

client: my budget is €60,000

Bannon: but my vision for your house can’t come to life for less than €420,000

Client: but it’s our house…

Banjon: but but but me…

• Advertisement

• He might well have requested the bartender in Monkstown to whip one up over the weekend as the hiP new drink.

I was disappointed Bryan didn’t share his thoughts on the weekend’s sport this morning. I was hoping to hear his considered thoughts and opinions on the performance of Random Team A versus Random Team B in the Random Sport Tournament/Cup/Event.

Did he not even mention Ireland's great victory in the rugby?

He would normally give it a mention, as he is from the class of Dublin folk who are really into their rugby.

He didn't mention our latest six nations victory? Weird! A couple of weeks back he said they were delicious.

Must've been too busy crying over films and wars and stuff. #chickenkiev #empathy

Though he may be a born and bred Southsider, I’d say Tubs knows as much about rugby as Joe Duffy knows about hard wurk so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

@ButtersSuki and @Brian Scan

Did you guys also hold ceasefire talks at the Ukraine-Belarus border recently?

And how long will this uneasy truce last? 😁

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

My legal team have instructed me not to comment on this perilous situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

“I don’t want to be weird and freaking people out”

Stop doing The Toy Show then.

“Maskless in Seattle”

• Advertisement
Advertisement