Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colombia legalises abortion up to 24 weeks!

• 25-02-2022 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

An absolutely sick and barbaric move. An unborn baby is viable at this stage and can survive in an incubator if born prematurely at this stage. Whatever about the 3 month limit here, 6 months is despicable.

I voted no for the abolition of the 8th amendment as protection of the unborn is sacrosanct.

Before anyone asks “what does it have to do with you, OP?”, “Nothing”, is the answer, but I can still have an opinion on the matter and my opinion is that it’s a disgrace.

Later term abortions are carried out using forceps and suction methods and sometimes potassium chloride. The unborn baby feels everything.

Have a look at the attached picture to see what a baby born at 23 weeks gestation looks like. This is what will be happening in Colombia.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am surprised to see this coming out of Colombia of all places. Abortion was banned there until quite recently

The world is changing at a ridiculous pace now. I don't know what to make of it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

What would our lord think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're being disingenuous to say the least, OP.

I voted no for the abolition of the 8th amendment as protection of the unborn is sacrosanct.

So in reality there is no number of weeks which would be acceptable to you.

The reality of decriminalisation up to 24 weeks is that abortion is a matter for the woman and her doctor, which is entirely as it should be. In countries where late abortion is legal the numbers are tiny and invariably involve a serious medical issue. Nobody is going to wait until 24 weeks for the craic.

Our laws are still far from up to scratch, with women still forced to travel to the UK.

Great to see the vice-like grip of the Catholic Church being loosened over more and more Latin American countries, though.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Nice. Another thread that will be fought on emotion rather than reason. This will go well.

Can't see this thread lasting too long thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

The only reason such a late term abortion would be sought after or allowed is because of some grave medical issue. You can unclutch your pearls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nope. Evil satanic atheists will deliberately wait until the Saturday on week 23 before termination

Extra blood for them to smear on themselves for their baby eating ritual

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Yoozername.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It should have been aborted, before conception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"I voted no for the abolition of the 8th amendment as protection of the unborn is sacrosanct."

Your vote was outnumbered by a considerable margin of the population of Ireland so maybe you should reflect on that and realise that your opinion is out of touch and dated.

That would be more beneficial than putting up emotive, sensationalist and simply untrue posts here.

• Advertisement

What reason is there to kill a baby at 24 weeks gestation?

This abortion service is available on demand, up to 24 weeks. That’s a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I'm not a medical encyclopedia. You can do your own research.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Dreadful news except for the abortion activists who shout their approval as yet another unborn is sacrificed for their rites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Why? Does it hurt your feels?

Are we not allowed to discuss an event if it goes against your own opinions?

Abortion was legalised up to a very late stage and it’s only right we can discuss it. If you want to prohibit certain topics on a DISCUSSION board, sign up to boards.northkorea.

OMG…. You sound so cool!!

Back on topic.

Religion and morality are not necessarily intertwined.

You can have morals without being religious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Always find it strange that the pro-life nuts are always thumping their bible about the rights of the unborn but their lot’s record with the newly born is abysmal. They’ve never giving a toss about them.

They just don’t like the fact they’ve lost control over women’s bodies.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It won't last because

A: Re-egs tend to get nuked early on.

B: It's full of lies (abortion up to 24 weeks ON DEMAND!!!!)

C: See A

Read the article.

It IS on demand in Colombia up to 24 weeks.

• Advertisement

Where did I bring religion into this?

I dare you to tell me.

You mean like people wanting Ireland to accept and not deport undocumented illegal immigrants. You don't see many of them offering to house them(!)

You would class someone as having an issue with abortion being legalised at 24 weeks as a pro-life nut?

As a matter of interest, what cut off point, if any, would make you uncomfortable with an abortion (non emergency) being carried out?

What other why can it be than "on demand". What a stupid term.

Swap it for "wants" or "needs" for true meaning and it's up to the woman to decide what is best for her and her body. Not you.

Also, the way you say "on demand" as if it's like popping into a GP for an injection when the truth is it would only happen at that stage due very traumatic circumstances for the woman and not as commonplace as you make out. A decision like that would never be taken lightly and you have no right to pass judgement on them.

Whatever reason the mother or doctor sees fit. Medical emergency, mental health, foetal abnormality, personal circumstances.

It's simply not up to you, and 24 week terminations will most likely be very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ya es ley! Ya es ley! Ya es ley! Great to hear the good news from Colombia.

As other users have already pointed out you have moved to be sensationalist, disingenuous, and misleading in your interpretation of what happened in Colombia. Attempting to paint it in the most negative light you can...... while making arguments/appeals to emotion rather than intellectual or rational points.

I suspect myself that such tactics were what lost you the referendum in Ireland so significantly. It seems you have not learned from this failure. You are not alone in this. The Anti Choice people I have experienced in Ireland since have failed to learn from it either or failed to change their tactics.

So let me deal with some of the errors and emotional nonsense you employed here:

"An unborn baby is viable at this stage and can survive in an incubator if born prematurely at this stage."

This should be entirely irrelevant. As medical technology improves I somewhat suspect the age of viability will be more and more a moving target. I see little reason to think we will at some point be unable to bring a baby to term from conception within some kind of artificial womb / technology. But certainly our ability to keep a fetus viable is going to improve.

So debating abortion limits based on medical assisted viability is as impractical as it is already intellectually bankrupt. And your posting a story about a baby that survives despite a remarkably early delivery is not morally or ethically informative. It is just a story of the success of our wonderous and awesome medical abilities and science.

"I voted no for the abolition of the 8th amendment as protection of the unborn is sacrosanct."

Or put another way, you want YOUR opinion to be declared correct by fiat and to be afforded no disagreement or challenge. You need to get hip to the fact that it don't work that way. If you can not intellectually or rationally defend your view points than simply declaring them sacred is not going to get you there either.

"The unborn baby feels everything."

Pete is that you?

Unpack this for us. How do you know this to be true? What do you mean by "feel" exactly? Responses to stimulus, even pain stimulus, are not the same thing as "feeling" pain. A simple single celled amoeba responds to the stimulus of having a needle stuck into it. It will move away from the needle. But we do not think it "feels" anything per se. Autonomic responses are not "feelings".

For the emotive move of trying to convince people an aborted fetus "feels" anything to work.... we need to validate that it "feels" something in terms of actually experiencing that pain on some conscious level. Have you any evidence this is the case?

Even if you do however, so what? If there is good reason to perform an abortion then any experience of pain is, while absolutely tragic and unfortunate, does not negate the reasons for the abortion. At best a claim this fetus "feels" anything compels us to do our best to mediate or prevent that pain while performing the procedure.

"Have a look at the attached picture to see what a baby born at 23 weeks gestation looks like."

This is one of the emotional moves that failed you in the referendum. We used to have a user who has since left the forum who was obsessed with informing everyone that the fetus had a tongue and it moves. Because for some reason this fact was meant to pull our heart strings so much it would over ride our intellect and rationality. He became rather irate and haughty when this failed to work.

What it "looks like" is irrelevant. It's human shaped. So what? So is a corpse and so is a mannequin. We do not, and should not, mediate human rights on what something LOOKS like. For example if you posted a picture of a baby that was horrifically facially deformed and missing limbs, at the same age as the picture you did post, it might look hideous to me but I would afford it the same level of human rights and empathy and ethical concern as I would any other baby in any other picture.

LOOKS are irrelevant. Put them aside and instead consider intellectual and rational arguments about when, how, and why we should afford anything or anyone rights of any kind.

All that said however, if it helps you feel better and at peace, it is worth knowing that the vast majority... the near totality in fact.... of abortions of all types (elective or of necessity) happen in or before week 12. Most of the rest happen in or before week 16. And the majority of women who have those abortions say they wish they had had them earlier. And these statistics holds true regardless of how liberal, restrictive, or even illegal abortion is in a given region.

Which means that regardless of the law, women are having the abortions anyway. So if something like "24 weeks" makes you squeal words like "barbaric" it is worth noting that liberal laws and accessible abortion gives women the chance to have those abortions earlier, safer and in the most humane of fashions. As such it is in fact criminalising or resisting abortion that is actually "barbaric". You might want to work on that.

Where abortions are sought after 16 weeks, and certainly at 24 weeks... I think you would be very hard pushed indeed to find any statistics suggesting that the norm there is other than the abortion was out of some deep medical or other necessity and was not simply some whim of the woman/women involved. In fact I suspect you will find most of those women fully wanted/intended to carry the pregnancy to term. But by all means search for some stats on that if you wish.

What actually happened in Colombia without the OPs negativity, misleading nonsense, emotive rhetoric, and sensationalism?

What happened it seems, on a quick read of it (so apologies if I error or over simplify) is that the constitutional court partially decriminalised abortion procedures. It still requires that Colombia’s Congress come up with clear regulations. This will likely take some time. Especially as congress can come up with regulations that contradict the ruling, which will force the courts to invalidate them and drag things out.

This is the result of decades of work by people wanting to change the law, in a country where one report I read claims 60% of the citizens support decriminalisation of one form or another and 25% want legalisation without limits..... and is a direct result of a court case brought by a group of 100 organisations.... and follows suit with what Argentina and Mexico have also been doing. Hopefully it will also spur Chile on which has made similar noises of late.

It also happens in a region where 760000 women annually are treated for the detrimental after effects of having had clandestine and illegal abortions and cause 10% of maternal deaths. Now that is barbaric. So this great news of change is welcomed in my opinion. An opinion I can defend without pretending my opinions are sacred like the OP does.

The petty response of the losers here is worth laughing at too. Their Ex President for example was quoted as saying that the "Ruling deeply offends the highest group of citizens". The who now? Much like the OP of this thread trying to declare his personal opinion "sacrosanct" here we have the Ex President declaring people sharing his personal opinion to be "highest" among the citizens? Love himself much? Need to get over himself much? Declaring yourself to be better than others.... yeah not a great look the best of times. Least of all in a loser. It reminds me of the image of Conor McGregor lying on the floor cradling his broken leg, shouting after the victor that he was going to get him in the parking lot, and suggesting sexual congress with his wife. Beyond. Pathetic.

If the best you can do in a debate is bolster your opinions by elevating yourself to some kind of higher being or your own personal opinions to some level of being sacred.... you're probably losing the battle more roundly than you think and are actually just desperate.

All good and valid points, but on a personal level, when would you feel uncomfortable for an elective, non-emergency abortion to be carried out?

I mediate all my moral and ethical concerns on the basis of maximising the well being of conscious agents.

So the more reason we have to suspect an entity is a conscious agent, the more inclined towards ethical concern I would be.

There is zero evidence of any kind that I know of to suggest a fetus at 12/16 weeks has developed the faculty of human consciousness. In fact my knowledge of the science there suggest it has not even STARTED to develop such. Let alone actually developed it. An analogy I have made often is that at 12/16 weeks it is like looking for radio waves not only when the broadcasting tower is turned off..... in fact no one has started building the tower yet.

Certainly many of the things related to the faculty of consciousness are in play, or in production, around 24 weeks of human gestation. A random quote I have used often for example is:

K.J.S. Anand, a researcher of newborns, and P.R. Hickey, published in NEJM say "intermittent electroencephalographic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks.

So certainly I start to become uncomfortable around this time! But it is not black and white. For me it is like looking at a rainbow. We know Red. We know Orange. But we can not really identify where red stops being red and starts being orange. So our reason for abortion should certainly scale with our uncertainty as best we can!

But as I said to the OP, the near totality of abortions.... and even more so elective abortions.... happen in or before week 12, let alone week 16.... and I see zero foundation for moral or ethical concern for the fetus at this point. And generally it seems women who have abortion would have liked to have had it earlier too. There are endless reasons why they didn't. But we can hamper some of those reasons such as not putting pointless beauracracy and procedure in their path.

So if a man found out he made a woman pregnant would it be OK and morally just if he was allowed to just “walk away” and abdicate his responsibilities because “personal circumstances”?

If you don’t think that’s OK then you’re a hypocrite.

Nicely reasoned and explained answer.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Waste of time responding to this as you're comparing two completely different things.

If a woman can opt out of parenthood “just because she wants to” outside of medical necessity or rape etc, why can’t a man?

I disagree with both btw. If you don’t want to accept the risk of being a parent, don’t have sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

…which isn’t an option if you’ve been raped.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Jesus. I literally said outside of rape.

It is deviating from the topic I agree but it is a pertinent question. A man can't force a woman to become a mother but a woman can force a man to be a father.

It's an awkward conversation but do you not agree that there should be some sort of legal mechanism where a man who doesn't want to be a father after woman becomes pregnant can legally abdicate his responsibilities and rights that come with parenthood if a woman goes through with the pregnancy against his wishes?

If not, why not?

So I’ll ask again. If a woman can opt out “just coz”, then why can’t a man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Where here is a question for you.

Would it be fair and proper to give more rights to a child born "within wedlock" than "out of wedlock". What would have been previously called a "bastard child". I am deliberately using old language here. I don't think that the circumstances of the child's conception should affect its rights. So the child conceived as a result of rape has the same right as one which was not.

Now the woman's right could be argued to be affected by the circumstances. But then you also have nuance (for want of a better word) depending on the effect of it on her.

Basically you have two competing rights if you recognise a right to life for the child. If you don't then it is a simple answer for you. But you have to understand that if you do recognise a right for the unborn child, then there is a conflict.

Those who sneer at the "other side" would be better placed to understand what "the other side's" point of view is. They don't have to agree with it. That view doesn't have to stem from a particular religious background either.

A woman who wants an abortion has her own personal justification and it's not just "opting out of parenthood".

You need to stop using such simplistic sloganeering and respect that it's the woman's choice and there will be a multitude of reasoning behind it.

As for men plenty of them do opt out of parenthood without any repurcussions.

You need to accept the the referendum campaign for repeal of the 8th amendment is over and the no side lost.

Your views are archaic and not in step with society and instead of condemning other people for their own personal decisions that they don't have to justify to you, you should look at yourself and your own prejudices, learn empathy and compassion and move on with your life.

Post edited by murpho999 on

The “yes side” lost several referendums* in years past.

* And yes, “referendums” is an acceptable plural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Every referendum on the matter other than the original 8th has gone the way of the "yes side". So no, they didn't lose several - only ever one, which was then comprehensively overturned.

The two attempts to overturn the X case were rejected, the right to travel was accepted, the right to info was accepted and repeal of the 8th was accepted.

• Advertisement

That's unfair.

I voted to repeal but I am still uneasy with the idea of abortion on demand.

I don't think it's archaic to believe that there should be some sort of legal option for someone to forgo their rights and responsibilities of parenthood after a woman becomes pregnant if they have their own reasons for not wanting to be a father.

You mention that plenty of men do opt out of parenthood and that is correct. They are legally required to provide some sort of assistance to the mother if it is sought.

With regards to your last sentence, you seem to only be thinking one sided on this matter. While a woman is the only one who can be pregnant, there are three people who the pregnancy effects.

Sure and that is a good thing. For me it is how the ideals of democracy and discourse should work. Periodically the side out of power, or on the wrong side of the current status quo, should be able to try and turn the tables. Unlike many people who are on the same winning side of the last referendum as I am..... I actually hope the losing side go back to the drawing board, improve their arguments and campaign tactics.... and try again sometime in the future. That is how democracy, discourse and progress should work.

And if their arguments are good, they will convince me too. And I will without reservation, hesitation, or apology.... happily switch sides too.

But I am not seeing it happen. The noise I hear coming from the losers is, much like your own OP, simply rehashing the same failed tactics and talking points and emotionally manipulative nonsense that lost them the referendum. I am not seeing a return to the drawing board and an evolution of their arguments.

Trust me when I say that strolling in and declaring your PERSONAL OPINION to be "sacrosanct" is not a good look. It will convince pretty much no one. The Ex President in Colombia calling people with his PERSONAL OPINION the "higher" citizens.... similarly so. This distasteful arrogance looks like little more than a childish tantrum from a loser who probably does not even know the word magnanimous. In any language.

I tell this story often. When I was in my mid teens I realised I did not have a fully formed opinion of abortion. I was "pro choice" by default because my peers were. Or the people who shared other views with me.... like atheists for example.... were. So I decided I needed to challenge that. Because I feel uncomfortable holding any opinions "just because".

I wanted to actively spend a lot of time talking with the "other side" and have them convince me I was wrong.

I remember how I set aside an entire Saturday to start this mission. My first move, I decided, was to go to the anti choice tables which were outside the Central Bank in Dublin every weekend at that time. Maybe you remember them. Weekly they would setup shop, with many pictures of fetuses, and campaign on the subject of abortion. So I went there hoping to spend hours and hours talking with them and hearing their side. I was even gonna help out at their stands while doing so, so I was being helpful while draining their time asking them to talk with me.

What happened? I went up to them and talked to them and asked them to explain their views and was told "Look at the pictures". I said yes the pictures were unpleasant to look at sure, but could they explain their views and positions to me. I was then told louder and more aggressively than before "Look at the pictures maaaannn!!!". No attempt to get anything out of them resulted in more than simply being told to look at the pictures. Over. And Over. And Over.

Now here I sit 25+ years later and your OP is essentially to post a picture of what 24 weeks of development looks like in your view and essentially repeat the "Look at the pictures man!" tactic they tried, and failed, to use on my 25 years ago. The same tactic users on this forum tried during the referendum (Like tongue picture boy I mentioned before). Over on the peoples republic of cork forum for example one guy posted pictures claiming it was the result of abortion in order to horrify people. Turns out it was a picture, taken without permission of any kind, of a still birth caused by a medical issue. The parents released the picture in the media trying to raise awareness of that medical issue. So stealing that image to re-appropriate it to an anti choice abortion agenda was.... morally reprehensible. Didn't stop them from doing it though.

I would like.... I want..... hell in some ways I need.... your cohort to evolve your arguments and try again! But in 25 years engaging heavily with this topic I have not seen an iota of evolution in the arguments I am presented. Nothing is changed.

So yes, you are entirely correct.... we lost elections in the past. But we kept struggling, trying, talking, educating and pushing. And now we have swung it our way. And my suspicion is that if you ever manage to swing it back.... you're going to have to really seriously up your game to do so. Appeals to emotion and photos (many of which are not representative, and are positively misleading in fact, but that's a different discussion about the reprehensible tactics used by the anti choice cohort) are not likely to do it any more. But it seems.... to me at least..... it's all y'all got.

When that changes..... I am all ears.

So if another referendum were held and the 8th were to be reinstated would you accept democracy?

You do realise that abortion can still be removed from legislation and a legal ban placed on it again ? With or without a referendum.

The referendum for abolition of the 8th only allowed for abortion to be legislated for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, we know. Luckily the public that voted to allow that to happen are the same public that vote into office the people that make the legislation.

If by "accept democracy" you mean that I would accept the result, abide by the result, but return to the drawing board and improve my arguments and tactics for in the future changing that result..... then yes I would.

I just wish you and your cohort would do that too. I am waiting for their new and improved arguments. Not just another 25 years of "Look at the pictures man".

What "accept democracy" does not, and should never, mean is "Sit down, shut up, you lost, get over it and go away and never be heard from again". I would not do that. And I would hope you and your side of the argument do not either!

So up your game and come back and hit me with your arguments when you can! I will be all ears! I think you can probably do better than the "Look at the pictures man" approach or the "my personal opinion is sacred" approach. Both of which made up pretty much all your OP offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Abortion is opting out of pregnancy; not necessarily opting out of parenthood. Subtle, but important difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Some of these arguments come across a bit like the simplistic "Brexit means Brexit" responses to questions related to the UK vote

The referendum in questions replaced the previous provision which granted equal rights to life to the mother and unborn child with the subsection that:

Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy.

A person can agree that that should be there without having to agree with any and every particular legislation or personal interpretation of that subsection. Agreeing that it should be governed by law does not mean you have to agree with every single law. You might somehow interpret it to mean that abortion should be allowed up to 9 months, whereas someone else who agrees with the provision can disagree with your view. As I've just noticed is in the previous post, it just means that there is no longer any constitutional bar on legislation allowing for termination. The legislation that regulates termination could still not allow it, or could allow it only in such convoluted circumstances that rendered it effectively banned anyway. The referendum merely delegated that power to the legislature.

An analogy might be tax. You might agree that there should be provision made in law for the regulation of income tax. That would not mean that you forever waive any right to express a position against hypothetical legislation that would tax all teachers at 95% (as an example).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

He's probably worried the pool of children for his priests to rape is facing further reduction

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
Advertisement