Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 4x10 - 'The Galactic Barrier' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 24-02-2022 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Discovery 4x10 - 'The Galactic Barrier' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well, as far as I'm concerned that was one of the best episodes of the season, though that's a pretty low bar! One of the first I've enjoyed.Once the first 15-20 minutes of emotional catch-ups were out of the way it was a bit of fun. I enjoyed Tarka's backstory, though did feel that it could have worked well as its own episode, and the Burnham whisper came back, which is irritating. But other than that pretty good, though I wish they had actually gotten to the 10-C.

I did not miss the Adira theme music though. It's too schmaltzy and cloying, and doesn't fit with the rest of the episode. And I'm beginning to find the Stamets-Adira relationship a tiny bit creepy. Doesn't Adira have their own family elsewhere?

Goodbye Bryce, I don't think I would have noticed your absence if attention hadn't been called to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No Adira doesn't. She was an orphan on that generation ship that hit the very very slow moving asteroid.

Ah, forgot that. Either way, I still find the Stamets thing a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek Discovery Admiral Doesn't Know Starfleet Ships Traveled Beyond The Galaxy

Dropping this in here.

If Kirk & Picard both crossed the barrier? Without programmable matter as a shield, why is discovery making a big deal out of crossing it?

Encounter with the Energy Barrier(remstered)

Star Trek Moments TNG - Episode. - 06. Where No One Has Gone Before.

Plot contrivances

Ent-D may not have crossed the barrier though as the Travellers method of transport was unusual.

Kirk most definitely did though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Most of the individual elements were okay in isolation, but the lack of advancement of the main plot made the episode seem like filler again. If they had condensed down what was in there, and made some room for at least some of the 10c stuff at the end it would have avoided that.

And what's with Bryce running off, he's the second to go after Tilly. Are the cast jumping ship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ack! Still no clue! Although a planet with no signs of life. I wonder if it's just biological that they checked. Though 1000 years into the future I'm guessing it might include other kinds.

Hard to imagine Book and Tarka can put a dent into the Ten-C given the power the Ten-C seem to have shown so far.

One wierd thing though.. and especially with Bryce leaving earlier on and Gray not being around.. and the "esteemed delegates" being on board. It feels like this could be a build up to Discovery not going back to the Galaxy/Timeline/Universe/Something that they just came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Noooo! Not Bryce! Maybe he'll get a big Nhan type return.

We've got Lt. Christopher now though who must be new to the ship.

Was just looking at the bridge and thinking why don't Saru and a couple other have chairs?

Where were they in an earlier episode when it was just all empty space? Wasn't that outside the galactic barrier?

Michael talking makes me think of what those ASMR videos sound like.

They really need to acknowledge Reno's existence even if she's not in the episode. As it stands it seems Stamets is the only one doing everything.

Oh yeah! That's what has been bugging me about Burnham and SMG's delivery, I just hadn't clocked it until now! That AMSR stuff kind of creeps me out, I remember when it was a thing on podcast ads a few years back and I hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

An improvement for this season - But still a dreadful season as a whole.

I sound like a broken record - once again the plot moved forward a few inches. And we got nearly half an episode consumed with personal relationships, and faux emotional drama/trauma. Its a shockingly terrible season of Trek, that has no re-watchability by design. I struggle to care who Ten C are at this stage

Tarka is an interesting character. which means he is not long for this world.

I struggle to care about any of the other characters. I Loathe Burnham at this stage, her speeches should be played in Coma Wards. Pretty sure people would wake up and leave (anyone who didnt could factually be stated as having endured brain death). Never thought it was possible to hate a character more than Neelix but Way to Go Burnham! Il order my Neelix action figure ASAP

Bring on Picard.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

I'm still really struggling to care about any of these characters. That guy leaving was mad awkward.

Outside the galaxy is cool, if only because it bins that spore drive and gets them back to warp, but with only two episodes left it's a little late for that to be too impactful.

Tarka gets a backstory. Fine, whatever. Don't know why I'm expected to care.

Tarka had already told us his backstory so it seems a waste of limited screen time. I haven't seen the episode so maybe I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If they had done the Tarka backstory in detail earlier on, maybe when he was trying to convince Booker to support him, it would have added better context and made him less of a moustache twirling villain. It doesn't really work retroactively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The whole referring to Adira as a "child" I find weird full stop. Like sure, they're under-18 so technically a minor but they also survived on their own for a long time before they met Stamets and Culber, have several lifetimes of adult memories in their head and as of season 4 are a commissioned officer. A strong mentor/mentee relationship I get but parent/child, weird.

Try watch those scenes as if you didn't know he is gay. It looks so creepy and has a grooming quality to it when you look at it that way.

It's a bit like Garak and Ziyal after they put Garek back in the closet

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Yeah I have the same reaction myself to that relationship. The writers have really 'infantilised' Adira in comparison to their first appearance. Instead of acting like mentors Stamets & Culber are effectively Adira's surrogate parents.

They are sadly making Adira another Wesley wonder child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Can not fathom how any of this drivel gets past the 'throwing out ideas stage'?

The Drumhead episode of The Next Generation was on TV earlier. Was more interested in that finishing this episode.

Trek fanatic, but can't even rewatch any of Discovery without wanting to turn it off.

This drivel is what's popular sadly. Not that I think Trek needs to aim for popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. It's beyond creepy.

I like Culper and Stamets. I like the actors and their performances. I like them as a couple. Think it's well written and performed. I like Adria. Again, I like the character and performance. Just the right side of nervous and self doubt. Didn't like Grey (The performance really).

But yeah, this treatment of Adria? Cringe-inducing: "Hey, we are a gay couple so we will "adopt" this adult non-binary person we just met and call them our child... 'Cos that's what a gay couple does apparently". Shudder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

And I cant think of any reason why Tarka would have held back that story from Book...other than the writers hadn't invented it yet?

The last few episodes seem to be 50% people thanking each other for their "thoughts & prayers" and 45% camera pans across the entire ships complement so they can each give their knowing looks. Its like that scene in Avengers when all the heroines fly in to save the day and we get a close up of each one.

The final 5% is storyline that could actually be interesting, if they just put emotions aside for a few minutes and focussed on telling the damn story.

And no comment from Adira when Stammets basically says "I think I'm your dad"? Its too forced and stero-typical.

Oh and why do they keep showing us blinky eye man? Are we supposed to know who/what he is or are they just spending their FX budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How could you not know? That's *checks google* Linus. 😀

Sure just shows him like they like to show the reactions of everyone during speeches.

Remember him being used as comic relief when he couldn't get the personal transporter to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭pah

Christ the writing is awful. Everybody talkin about where they are going to go on their holidays when they get back at a critical moment. IT'S SO UNPROFESSIONAL it's beyond belief.

And don't get me started on the physics of everything 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's just all so painfully on the nose! Of course the very instant Earth is in danger, everyone is talking about how much they love earth and all the places they can't wait to go - ignoring the fact that we know they haven't been to any of those places in over a thousand years. Their separation from the Earth they once knew has been well established. That's not to say there aren't stakes in Earth's potential destruction, of course there are, but the writers go about it in the most ham-fisted blunt idiotic way possible, same as they do with everything else. It seemed like we cut from one pile-on of emotion to another about 5 times in a row at one stage.

Tarka's pointed little "so that's who you're dealing with" after telling his story... as if he's just revealed some dark secret, when in fact it's just been yet another sentiment-clad-emotionally-overwrought golden halo of caring. It also seems nuts that this is the only way he could think of of getting enough power to head off to the buddy over the last 10 years, but whatever.

Advertisement