Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Picard - Amazon Prime [** POSSIBLE SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Along with the viewscreen windows and overly polished deck-floors, the whole “pew-pew” nature of the Secret Hideout phaser is just grating. I know compression Phasers became a thing towards the end of the TNG era, but what they’ve been doing in this Discovery family of Trek shows just feels like a mindless apeing of the JJ-verse Phaser. Another reason I enjoy Lower Decks is that all of those 2009 movie ascetics have been ignored in favor of the likes TNG-style beem Phasers.

The whole Pew-Pew of effect of these new live-action Trek shows also feels like the weapony has no real impact or punch to them. TNG phasers were presented with the impression that it would melt a hole through you if you got in its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Just ask Commander Remmick, that was very gruesome when I was seven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, the pew-pew lasers are stupid; Trek always at least deferred to a degree of verisimilitude with its science. A real-life laser gun would be a long continuous beam (and we do have them, albeit they're invisible to the human eye). It's a stupid ball-drop in favour of something more Star-Wars'esque; presumably seen as more exciting to have "bullets" whizzing around.

Babylon 5 used them too, and there's always something more dangerous about a sweeping beam, like it would absolutely wreck anything in its path

Also, we know that they are able to pull off a decent beam phaser. The Industrial Phaser beams the Mars androids used to kill the Utopia Planita staff in Season 1 felt like a truly dangerous weapon. The piffy Pew-Pew effect is clearly a design choice…and a bad one in my opinion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't mind so much if the accompanying sound effect was suitably punchy and dangerous, but it's such a weak little "pew pew" it's hard to get excited by all the laser fire flying about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Have this in my to watch list but randomly came across a clip on youtube of 7of9. Man, Jeri Ryan still has it. She's 54 and like a fine wine. She was stunning 23 years ago and still stunning.

But to add to the creep factor i'll drop this here.

Phasers aren't lasers, phasers are beams of fictional particles

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's the kind of pointless, meaningly detail you'd think I'd be used to by now, posting on this forum. Phaser are lasers, just by another name 'cos Trek has to do its own thing :-)

• Advertisement

Lasers also exist in the Star Trek universe as weapons so it's not a distinction without a difference.

Yeah it's come up as a plot point a few times, mainly to indicate when a race was far behind the Federation in terms of technology.

"Nadion particles" being the fictitious particles in question if you want to be totally pedantic 😉

I dialled back the pedantic as much as I could.

This one always springs to mind, there's something about the way Worf says lasers.

"Condundrum" also jumped to mind where the Lysian's use of laser weapons helped tip the Enterprise-D crew off that something was amiss with their mission. Moments before they melted McDuff with their phasers 😄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Phasers aren’t lasers though. They shoot plasma, which can absolutely be shot in balls or a long stream.

I’m open to correction of course.

Edit: star fleet phasers are particle beams. Ferenghi weapons are forced plasma beams. I’m gone full nerd

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Sometimes I'm Trekkie'd so hard I feel put back in my corner 😜 though I do still think calling phasers lasers is interchangeable towards the overall point that pew pew guns lack the heft of a continuous laser/phaser/blaser

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lasers and phasers are totally different.

Lasers are a concentrated form of a targeted light beam.

We have Lasers now. They are used for lots of things like targeting cancel cells.

There has been some experimental laser weapons I think but they are very bulky still.

You are all wrong about phasers by the way.

A phaser is a beam of subatomic particles that are called rapid nadion which can be controlled through superconducting materials so that they can be set at different levels where it just knocks someone out or kills them or vaporises them.

Hand phasers are powered by rechargeable sarium krellide cells and they use nadions that are then discharged as a phaser beam.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Man I always forget the name of that ship from Picard, it was that forgettable.

It's probably because we didn't hear "<name> to La Sirena" a few dozen times

• Advertisement
    Ms

Yep I agree. It was like something out of that game Mass Effect not Star Trek.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Maybe. It's the same with the cast TBH, I barely recall the name of anyone bar (obviously) Picard & Seven. The new series' have really struggled to give time or good writing to a clatter of its side characters - or in this case, main cast!

I wouldn't care if the aesthetics didn't match the universe, as long as the design itself was memorable or interesting. But it has been neither - both inside and outside the ship. Both being boxy & generic "Sci Fi"

Prime and/or Paramount themselves went to town over here in Oslo with marketing for Picard. Since Monday all of the bustops and metro stops have Picard adverts all over.

I wish I had taken some pictures, but down in the city center they had one Metro station completely plastered with Picard adverts, wall-to-wall. It even included some admirable yet incredibly cringe-worthy Metro info-signs that included awful puns such as:

"If you are a Borg, avoid vending machines" (With infograph of an assimilated stickman malfunctioning beside a vending machine)

"Remember to set your Phaser to Stun before entering the Space Vessel" (With infograph of a TOS phaser)

"10% off Puddings for Federation Members" (With infograph of a pudding)

They were....less than good....puns...

What bamboozled me the most is that adverts invited me to watch Picard "now". So later in the day I loaded up Prime, and there was still only Season 1...it feels like they timed it wrong.

Interestingly, Paramount+ is also in Norway and although I have been digitally advertised to about Discovery Season 4...that show never got a physical advert campaign like this. The last time I saw anything like this here was for the 2009 movie.

Post edited by Rawr on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Hmmm, I must wander into Vienna and see if they've done the same. Usually Prime plaster the central u-bahn stations with their exclusive shows.

The adverts weren't localized at all (all in English). I'm going to guess Prime are using the same across a chunk of Europe.

In some fairness to them, they did a slightly better job than in Discovery. I do however have trouble remembering names as I progress down the list, but at least they have something memorable to attach to them.

We have,

• Picard
    • Seven
    • Raffi, aka Angry Alcoholic Ex-Sidekick to Picard
    • Romulan Legolas
    • Dr. Android-sadness
    • Human Not-Data
    • PTSD Hologram-collecting Han Solo
    • Dr. Please Don't remember that I needlessly Murdered someone
    • That beard-guy from TNG and his British wife.

Ms

Please do take some pictures for us all in here of it if you get the chance.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I agree that the ship was in no way memorable.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

All I care about is if they stopped his friend calling him "Jay-Ell" every. F*cking. second f*cking. word. EVERY time made my eye twitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I do agree with most of the criticisms here, but I think that Picard did a far better job in establishing the cast than Discovery has in four seasons. I'm hoping that they've learned from the missteps in season 1, and based on the trailers they seem to have at least addressed the copy-paste fleet issue.

I'm really looking forward to this tomorrow, I really hope that it lives up to my expectations. I booked working from home so I can watch it earlier, though omitted telling the boss that it was so I could watch Star Trek on my lunch break!

Advertisement