Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭The Gardener

Same here! Except I'm getting a French station called Classic Hits???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Same, getting the French channel!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It doesn't listen to me unless I begin with "Ok Google..."- tested it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭henke

Does anyone have an extremely longstanding issue where asking Google to play a song on Spotify can often get it wrong or play a more obscure version of the song, not the most obvious popular and top choice within the Spotify app. Not sure if its a Google issue or Spotify issue. It seems to better when asking it to play a song on YouTube Music and the sceptic in me wonders is this a tactic to drive people off Spotify and over to YT Music. It has annoyed me a for a long time now I would have thought it was time this got good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have that issues the odd time. Tried to play a song but instead of the original, it has played a piano instrumental version.

Also, the odd time it has mentioned about youtube music. No idea why when I have spotify linked to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

My Google Home Hub seems to have lost the ability to stream radio stations from Tunein since this afternoon.

When I say "play rte radio one" it replies "I don't know but here are some results I found on the web"

It still works on the small Google home.

Edited to add: in fairness, its working again today (17th)

Post edited by Johnny Storm on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

RTE radio 1 not working for me either :( On 1st gen home and mini

"I looked for RTE radio 1 but it either isn't available or can't be played right now."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Seriously the radio issue again!!!!!

Alexa - plays radio 1, cannot answer basic questions

Google - cannot play radio 1, gives very accurate answers to questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KingCong

Same here, works fine for Newstalk but it has changed how it responds when I say "Play Newstalk FM", it now answers "Streaming 107.6 Newstalk on Tunein" insteading of "Playing Newstalk FM". How are they always messing the basic feature of playing radio stations???🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Lost the ability to stream a UK radio station (Kerrang) since start of July.

Per redditt there seems to be a workaround to international restrictions implemented by TuneIn by using the Simple Radio app, i.e. "tell Simple Radio to play XYZ radio" - but I can't get this to work either - has anyone got Simple Radio to work? Have the app installed on my phone and the station plays fine on the phone - I know I can cast but would like it to work as it should!

• Advertisement

Ha ha, just like that it's fixed. Maybe they read boards!

RTE radio 1, cuts out a lot, anyone else?

I have vodafone giga, but have noticed other issues in the house. Is there any easy way to diagnose this? It just reports 800+ plus speed all the time.

It could be wireless interference make sure you connect to the 5ghz radio not the 2.4ghz. Plug a laptop in using Ethernet and "ping www.google.ie -t" in command prompt, leave it for a few hours then ctrl + c to stop. See if you have any dropped packets.

Is 2.4 not a stronger connection, but lower bit rate - which should not be an issue for streaming radio?

2.4ghz is more prone to interference, there are limited channels and they overlap, your close neighbours wireless router can interfere. 5ghz is weaker, will only work in the next room but less chance of interference from your neighbour

Get a wi-fi analyser app for your phone see what's in use nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does the Google Nest Hub Max still exist? I see the smaller screen ones everywhere but the bigger one seems harder to find?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Somebody might have a quick fix for me. I installed a Google Battery Doorbell yesterday and was getting the ding dong on my Nest mini speakers. This morning I have been ringing the bell but nothing ringing inside the house. I have announcements "ON" and don't think I have done anything to upset my previous set-up. And I am still getting notifications to my phone. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. w4m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Can someone with a google nest hub help me out. I have a tune in pro account on my phone which you can store a list of fav stations.

On the hub screens have you access to the tune in app itself. Can you select from a list of favorites on screen rather then using voice commands.

Cheers

Bauer media are pulling some of their UK stations from TuneIn, including my personal favourite Kerrang Radio - means it won't work through voice control on Google speakers any more. Have managed to sideload the radioplayer.co.uk app which will continue to be supported, so would be able to cast from that - but nowhere near as convenient.

https://planetradio.co.uk/kerrang/station/on-air/changes-to-streaming-listening/

I can't find any media on this, but I assume Planet Rock etc will be affected in time, hope this doesn't spillover into the Irish stations that they've just acquired - hopefully it's just their fringe stations they're doing this for and not the main stations.

Interesting move, bit of a backlash against TuneIn beginning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

If anyone can help me out would be great. I have tried to follow the Google offical pages" but I seem to be missing something. They all say open the app click routine but my home app doesnt have routine anywhere obvious in it.

Anyway, my question is there anyway once I find routines to create a new routine with the below logic.

If Presense sensing says Im away

+

If its 21:00 on Monday - Sunday

Then :Turn on Light A, B and C.

Then another routine

If Presense sensing says Im away

+

If its 00:00 on Monday - Sunday

Then :Turn off Light A, B and C.

This was something I was able to do with Samsung smart things app, but the app hasnt functioned correctly at all recently and hoping I could do the same automation with Google Home App directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Is there a way to get Google Assistant to keep displaying a timer on a Hub? This is for cooking, where I set a timer for, say, 10 minutes for something to simmer. I want to be able to just look over and see what's left, but if I'm using the hub to also listen to a radio station, the timer always disappears and I have to ask to see it again. And it disappears again after a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I need to check but think there's a clock or something you can touch or swipe the screen up or down and you can see it there. Not exactly what you are looking for I know sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭ra0044

Hi,

Does anyone have a Lenovo Smart Clock 2 connected successfully to a nest doorbell. I can ask it to show the front door and it will stream the video feed but if someone rings the doorbell it doest ring on the Smart Clock 2.

All of my Google hubs and, Google minis work fine. Any help getting it working would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭majo

I can’t get RTÉ radio 1 on my Google home mini for the past few days. When I try it says “it either isn’t available or it can’t be played right now”. Any ideas how I could fix this? Have tried turning power off and on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I've had the same with RTE Gold since last week. Saying 'play RTE Gold from TuneIn' is my current workaround

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭fman

Have been getting the same with mainly gold, but one now as well. Until yesterday changing "play rte gold" to "play rte gold on TuneIn" worked, but now that's not working either.

Only workaround for me so far has been casting TuneIn to the speaker, pretty counter intuitive.

Advertisement